Sponsored

A/C Evaporator Factory Defect

Ground Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 White EB+PP
Damn. Just Damn. Have they looked at other areas like leaking schrader valves? I'm going out on a limb here saying this, but I also was convinced I was smelling freon. They found a leaking valve on mine.
I'm still in the theory they were putting me off because my warranty is about to expire though.
Good call out. I'll bring this up when I take it in. I have the extended warranty that covers beyond the normal warranty so at this rate they'll need to replace 5 or 10 evap cores for me if I kept the car that long. :doh:
Sponsored

Ground Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 White EB+PP
if It wasn’t due to the evap and hood corrosion issues, the car could be a keeper
Exactly. It is the best driving most fun car I've ever driven or owned, and I've had a lot of sporty cars. It's the perfect size, look, handling, acceleration, ergonomics, layout, etc. You even get trunk space! If this AC thing was fixable I wouldn't even plan to sell it.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
Such a shame cuz the engine is bulletproof while the rest of the car has these problems

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I just can't believe Ford can't get a proper fix on this AC bullshit. It really is highly disappointing ... here that Ford !? How many millions of dollars have you lost due to AC and driveline vibration warranty claims? Shitty way to run a car company IMO.

Ground Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 White EB+PP
I wonder if there is or will be an aftermarket non-OEM AC system offered at some point for the Mustang that fixes this issue. That might be the way the go if keeping the car is in the plan. I did a Google search but didn't find anything. Maybe AC parts aren't lucrative enough for aftermarket companies to build out?

I'm also curious why in 2015, Air Conditioning technology hasn't come far enough to not leak refrigerant at a prodigious pace. Or how the component can be revised through multiple iterations without solving the problem the revision was meant to solve.

Sponsored

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
I wonder if there is or will be an aftermarket non-OEM AC system offered at some point for the Mustang that fixes this issue. That might be the way the go if keeping the car is in the plan. I did a Google search but didn't find anything. Maybe AC parts aren't lucrative enough for aftermarket companies to build out?

I'm also curious why in 2015, Air Conditioning technology hasn't come far enough to not leak refrigerant at a prodigious pace. Or how the component can be revised through multiple iterations without solving the problem the revision was meant to solve.
Not sure if it was this thread or one of the many other about the same issue, but I did post that I found a manufacturer online where the evap core could be purchased separately. But knowing our luck, it's probably the OEM manufacturer.
I'd like to get my hands on one and send it out to Vintage Air or Classic Air and get their thoughts/input on the matter. I do see a big aftermarket on these if Ford keeps going to the low bidder for all their parts.
I've said it before, I'll gladly pay $5 more so Ford doesn't try to save a nickle on low bid.

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
I'm still a bit amazed that my A/C problem wasn't the evap core. Instead, the compressor pulley somehow self destructed. Weird.

In any case, I know that on Rock Auto's site, they had some different brands (and costs) for compressors. Not sure about evap core's tho...

[email protected]

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick D
Vehicle(s)
red gt auto
Soooo my 2016 gt ac just quit blowing cold at 28k miles...

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
Soooo my 2016 gt ac just quit blowing cold at 28k miles...
Yep. Welcome to Mustang ownership!

Just hope it's not the evap core. My compressor pulley issue, which required the entire compressor be replaced since it's one piece, was all under the hood. No dash removal necessary.

That said, I'm not convinced everything has been solved. I need to play with it some more to see. Sometimes it just feels like it's not blowing air as cold as it used to. That and it takes forever to get cold when it's hot out. The original one was so fast...

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Due to piss poor Ford engineering and QA of their supplier(s), and able to fix a root cause problem.

[email protected]

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick D
Vehicle(s)
red gt auto
Blew ice cold this morning on a 10 minute ride, but at start up it smelled horrible from the vents. I can only describe it as smelling like band aids or plastic, but the smell went away after a couple minutes...or I just became accustomed to it. Is that the refrigerant leaking? If so is it dangerous? I've had other cars with ac issues but never accompanied by am odor.

Ground Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 White EB+PP
Blew ice cold this morning on a 10 minute ride, but at start up it smelled horrible from the vents. I can only describe it as smelling like band aids or plastic, but the smell went away after a couple minutes...or I just became accustomed to it. Is that the refrigerant leaking? If so is it dangerous? I've had other cars with ac issues but never accompanied by am odor.
That is most likely the refrigerant, based on my experience. I would describe it as an oily band aid smell. It goes away because you are circulating the air.

As for whether it is dangerous, there was a post in this thread some pages back with the side effects of breathing refrigerant. All the normal side effects I believe (dizziness, nausea, etc.). Hopefully we don't all end up with "Mustang Lung" in the future. :confused:

rocknstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium A6
Newbie here but 4th Mustang. Just bought a new 2017 GT Premium A6. Had it 5 days and the AC stopped blowing cold. Less than 200 miles on the car! Took it back to the dealer Friday. Service rep said it was a known issue and will be 3 days. Because it was so new they put me in a loaner. Picked it up this afternoon. Service rep said it was a little low on refrigerant but not enough to cause my issue. He said he checked the evaporator core and it was ok (sure he did...) Drained and recharged the system.

Got 10 minutes down the road and all of a sudden we feel real humid in the cabin and it feels like heated air is coming from somewhere but we couldn't tell. So my wife messes with the controls some and we eventually just turn it off and roll down the windows.

After about another 5 minutes or so we try the AC again and it blows ice cold air. After about 5 minutes of that we that humid heat blast again. Just all of a sudden. We drove the rest of the way home with the AC off and the windows down.

Got home and let the service rep and salesman know how happy I was. Taking it in tomorrow for try #2. Ugh. Owned a new car all of 10 days and it's spending more time at the dealer than with me

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
u better bail on that car
Sponsored