N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks again for the info :) (sorry for the late reply).
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Not often. Not nearly often enough to run a 1% use setup for 99% of the time.
I plan to track 3-4 times next year.

I haven't figured out if such a thing as an acceptable compromise truly exists.
It's at least possible. But it would depend on how far the individual is willing to compromise away from both ends of the spectrum (how wide his middle ground of overall acceptability might be). There's probably a better chance of this happening if the tracking is going to be done on street tires.

I may just have to get faster at switching between two sets of dampers/springs and just run a compressed track season. I would probably leave the stiff bars on all the time.
Just having adjustable dampers can make a big difference, and adjusting those up/down is neither difficult nor time-consuming. Wheel rates comparable to the GT350/350R really aren't all that bad if you're willing to let the chassis move around on its suspension a little more than you'd want it to do at a track day.

Also, I think all this praise for how much better their car feels on the street is overblown. Because the place to drive frisky is the track and not the street. Besides the stock setup at the track doesn't suck and it is still fun to drive the car fast in a controlled environment.
You don't have to be driving at 7/10ths or harder to start noticing improvements in composure at least subliminally. Reducing the time it takes for the car to take a set and making the tires behave more linearly start showing up well below that point, probably any time you're driving through a corner or curve and the car doesn't feel exactly like it does when you're going straight.

Norm

F0J

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
François
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Aah my fellow Winnipeg townsman.

I'll be at Gimli tomorrow for the test & tune.

The surface is pretty rough and the race line is surprisingly challenging with early apexes and that last squiggle when they run it. There's a lot to learn there even with a stock car with a relatively soft suspension. The scariest part is probably T3 because you run out of asphalt pretty quick for an early apex from 160 km/hr. Guys get a bit of air if they end up running off. The only higher speed turn is T1 (which has a pretty hilariously big bump that sends the formula Vs flying a good foot out).

Car definitely needs camber though. I've got about 2/32nds delta outside in on the fronts.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
It's at least possible. But it would depend on how far the individual is willing to compromise away from both ends of the spectrum (how wide his middle ground of overall acceptability might be). There's probably a better chance of this happening if the tracking is going to be done on street tires.
I'd say the GT350 setup is the ceiling and base OEM is the floor. I would probably be happier about halfway between PP and GT350. The new Steeda min drop springs might do the trick.

Just having adjustable dampers can make a big difference, and adjusting those up/down is neither difficult nor time-consuming. Wheel rates comparable to the GT350/350R really aren't all that bad if you're willing to let the chassis move around on its suspension a little more than you'd want it to do at a track day.
I have adjustable rebound dampers. I honestly can't tell the difference in settings on a bouncy street. Maybe I need to be trained what to feel for.

You don't have to be driving at 7/10ths or harder to start noticing improvements in composure at least subliminally. Reducing the time it takes for the car to take a set and making the tires behave more linearly start showing up well below that point, probably any time you're driving through a corner or curve and the car doesn't feel exactly like it does when you're going straight.

Norm
Please elaborate on your comment about street tires at the track.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Please elaborate on your comment about street tires at the track.
Grippier tires than true street tires generate more cornering roll, which call for stiffer springs and bars (and better dampers to control that). Different alignment specs, too, since that setup would be less of a compromise.

Norm

Sponsored

OP
OP
WildHorse

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Aah my fellow Winnipeg townsman.

I'll be at Gimli tomorrow for the test & tune.

The surface is pretty rough and the race line is surprisingly challenging with early apexes and that last squiggle when they run it. There's a lot to learn there even with a stock car with a relatively soft suspension. The scariest part is probably T3 because you run out of asphalt pretty quick for an early apex from 160 km/hr. Guys get a bit of air if they end up running off. The only higher speed turn is T1 (which has a pretty hilariously big bump that sends the formula Vs flying a good foot out).

Car definitely needs camber though. I've got about 2/32nds delta outside in on the fronts.
Hey how's it going buddy :) Didn't think there was a T&T on Friday. I'm working dammit lol. Got any pics of your mount?

OP
OP
WildHorse

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
The phone mount?

Really busy. Hope all is well with you.
'mounts' are what WWII fighter pilots call their planes. Cause you know.. where we sit in our s550's are cockpits :)
In other words, got any pics of your car? :D