Sponsored

Is this what I think it is? ....

McDoodle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A grey car
I'm sure everyone has seen the latest Audi S5 Coupe ad? Is it just me or is it basically having a thinly veiled swipe at the Mustang? .... in the usual pretentious Audi fashion, of course. Funnily enough, there is another S5 ad (I think) doing the rounds where they're giving it the beans around some cones .... so apparently shouty does matter. Perhaps Audi are a little bit flustered about having an equally good (if not better, in my opinion) car coming along at half the price? Let's just hope the cocks of the world continue to fall for the Audi and BMW BS (with Jaguar now hot on their heels as the bell-end's weapon of choice) and not discover the Mustang! :D
AudiAd.jpg
Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
It's a snap from their advert, which also shows the same kind of thing with "nothing to prove" it's on a drag strip, the Mustang (muscle car) launches off in a cloud of smoke huge noise etc, and the audi QUIETLEY slowly rolls off the line and it goes into all its features.

23TGrabberBlue

Grabber Blue Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY2017 EcoBoost Grabber Blue
If you want to be anonymous, buy an Audi. If you happen to like random people shouting "nice car mate" to you, buy a Mustang.

I pointed out a grey M4 to my Mrs the other day and said "that's twice the price of my car". Her reply, "it looks totally dull". The Mustang has shaken up the european car market who for decades seemed to forget that cars can be both exciting and affordable, the two don't need to be mutually exclusive.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
I saw a new Mercedes coupe the other day (C330 I think) and from the back 3/4's it reminded me of the Mustang ... wide.

tooley

My Little Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Auto
Got some new tyres on the 'stang at the weekend and popped into the Audi garage to have a look whilst I was waiting. New RS5 in there - admittedly with a few extras (Carbon ceramic brakes @ £6k !) but the list price was £89k. That's literally two GTs

Nice motor to be sure but eye watering price. And its "only" a V6 nowadays

Sponsored

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
If you want to be anonymous, buy an Audi. If you happen to like random people shouting "nice car mate" to you, buy a Mustang.

I pointed out a grey M4 to my Mrs the other day and said "that's twice the price of my car". Her reply, "it looks totally dull". The Mustang has shaken up the european car market who for decades seemed to forget that cars can be both exciting and affordable, the two don't need to be mutually exclusive.
Well put.

Always admired the A5/S5 etc and I've said before that it's probably what I would be in had it not been for the RHD Mustang. But it will never be what the Mustang is, even at the same price point as the Stang, I'd go Mustang every time :ford:

Personally, I think the kind of folks that buy Audi's will generally not be swayed by the Mustang because "it's a Ford" - which is a good thing! We all know which is better :D

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Problem is that Mustang is putting Audi tech on the Mustang, like Magneride, 8/10 speed autos, digital display etc. Appeal on Mustang was it's rawness over the mollycoddling of the RS Audis.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
I don't think that is a mustang.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase

twold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 mustang fastback
Been into drag racing since my youth and never heard an Americsn V8 drag car sound anything like the advert,they must have dubbed something significantly less cylindery-ish ,what do you think?

Sponsored

merc 450

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Red 2017 5.0 GT
My last 4 cars have been Audis on pcp's, 3.2TT convertible A4 A5 convertible and A6 sportline 3.0TD estate(for the Rottwieller), next week i pick up my race red 5.0 GT cannot wait

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
"Nothing to prove"? - Try telling that to the people who buy them.

Matrix2020

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Golf R
"Nothing to prove"? - Try telling that to the people who buy them.
Totally agree, because they are 'discreet' (dull/boring), their owners seem to 'need' to prove their spending. Shame, nice car but very euro box boring, and as for their owners.........

benanderson89

Hooneriffic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The thing about cars like the Audi RS5 is that, against what the advert is telling you, they have everything to prove. The RS5 doesn't look much different to a standard manky Diesel with the nice wheels ticked on the option box, so they constantly have to try and demonstrate where the extra cash has went.

An Aston Martin has nothing to prove, a Mustang has nothing to prove, a Nissan GTR has nothing to prove. Those cars prove themselves sitting statically because the look alone speaks for itself. Even some hot hatches like the Focus RS (especially the MK2) have nothing to prove.

Performance, too. We know the Mustang is fast, the RS5 is of course faster but only by 0.5s on a standing quarter for the better part of £25,000. Compare it to the GT350 and it hasn't got a cat in hell's chance of both attracting attention AND beating it at the Gotta Go Fast game, the near two year old GT350 wiping the floor with the brand new 2018 RS5, and for slightly less money. :lol:

willisit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Monaro, DeLorean, Viva, S5, 600F
Um, okay? I don't see it, personally.

We're an Audi household; just sold a 4.2 S5 and now have a new 5 door S1. The S5 is a very civilised way to throw 350hp around. Perhaps different strokes and all? (note: Wife's car!). Lovely things I will say; the S1 is huge fun and goes like hell; it's really pretty too in Sepang Blue. BUT, and I know what you're all going to say "You could have a Mustang for that".. yeah you could, but it's twice the size (literally), half as practical and nowhere near as nice inside (where you spend all your time).

But I prefer my big V8s; she prefers 30mpg :p
Sponsored