Sponsored

ahl395's Build Log - Methanol Injected / P1X / 4500W sound system

15dib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
You don't need to really "run" a ground anywhere. As long as there's no paint in the metal that you'll be bolting into you'd be fine. Power, on the other hand... That's why they make capacitors
Capacitors are a joke and a waste of money. For the amount of power he's going to push he needs those ground wires coming directly from the battery. He can install a dry cell battery in the trunk and run a single ground cable to it and then ground the battery back to the frame of the car.
Sponsored

Cobo_pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
Optima is a dry cell home slice. And do your homework before you try to school someone who used to do this for a living

15dib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
I didn't say optima wasn't a dry cell battery, but you should really look into tests that have been made about capacitors. They're a thing of the past and maybe that's why you think they help in a 8k system.

OP
OP
ahl395

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Nice bro, I'll be waiting to see your sound system. I ran 0 gauge in my 14 but 4 is a lot more than 1. Did you think of running just one ground to a battery cell in the trunk? Might have saved some hassle.
Thanks man. I had 0 gauge ran through my old car but like you said 1 is easy to run through the interior lol.

I thought about it but didn't want to cut any corners. The frame of a car cant conduct electricity as good as a copper wire. Especially most cars today that dont have an actual "frame" and its several pieces of metal welded together. Ground is even more important than power wire really. Electricity flows from neg to pos.

You don't need to really "run" a ground anywhere. As long as there's no paint in the metal that you'll be bolting into you'd be fine. Power, on the other hand... That's why they make capacitors
End of the day, if you really wanted to get serious, optima deep cycle battery
As mentioned above, the metal on the body cant conduct electricity as good as a copper wire. For most systems grounding to the body/"frame" works fine. Evne in my old system which was about 3kW RMS I did this. However at 8kW using the body as a ground really just isnt good enough. The ground really is more important than the positive.

I am going to be running an XS Power D3100 in the rear which is a car audio AGM battery. Optimas are a bit overrated in my opinion and personally I think there are better options out there. I've been a fan of XS for awhile.

Capacitors are a joke and a waste of money. For the amount of power he's going to push he needs those ground wires coming directly from the battery. He can install a dry cell battery in the trunk and run a single ground cable to it and then ground the battery back to the frame of the car.
Optima is a dry cell home slice. And do your homework before you try to school someone who used to do this for a living
I didn't say optima wasn't a dry cell battery, but you should really look into tests that have been made about capacitors. They're a thing of the past and maybe that's why you think they help in a 8k system.
Agreed that at this power level I need the dedicated grounds.

On capacitors... Everybody has a different opinion on them. Personally I think that many of them are cheap garbage and don't work. HOWEVER, I have seen evidence that some of them do work. I'll link a good video below.

That being said, at this power level I would need a ton of caps to really do anything, and I think it would only be a marginal improvement. Which is why I went with batteries. I have read alot of good things about XS's supercap banks, and Rockford's Hybrid Capacitor... But in the end it's still a bandaid for more real power output. This is why I went with a 370A alternator (and the batteries).

[ame]

This video is done by an engineer that used to work for Rockford Fosgate. Being a big fan of them I tend to trust his testing.

15dib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Xs batteries are great man. Are you going to replace your main battery with one as well? Agree on the copper/chassis ground with you, that's why I commented on the extra battery in the trunk. Seems like you know what you're doing bro. Hopefully everything goes as planned.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ahl395

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
Xs batteries are great man. Are you going to replace your main battery with one as well? Agree on the copper/chassis ground with you, that's why I commented on the extra battery in the trunk. Seems like you know what you're doing bro. Hopefully everything goes as planned.
Thanks man I appreciate it.

I'm replacing the one up front with an XS D4700. So between that, the D3100 in the rear, and the 370A alternator... I'm hoping to have sufficient power. And no light dimming :headbonk:

OP
OP
ahl395

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
Got my car back with the MAK Deletes and resonators!

Comparing it to videos I've watched I definitely think the resonators helped cut down some rasp and volume. The shop agreed that it was tamer with the resonators. Video below of cold startup, the camera definitely picks up more rasp than you hear in person. Driving with it, its extremely loud but it sounds great. Very rough and choppy sounding now, reminds me of a motorcycle sometimes.

More pics and video to come soon.

My girlfriend was rushing me to leave so I had to cut this video short lol. Will get a rev and takeoff video soon, as well as pics underneath the car.

[ame]https://vimeo.com/232476203[/ame]

OP
OP
ahl395

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
Made alot of progress on my subwoofer box today. Got the box itself all together except the top piece, subwoofer and terminal cutouts. Still undecided on whether to stain it, carpet, or paint it. Leaning towards staining it.

IMG_20170908_174901.jpg
IMG_20170908_183821.jpg
IMG_20170908_190145.jpg

This thing is giant and is just barely going to fit.

Also took a warm start video of my exhaust.
[ame]https://vimeo.com/233079885[/ame]

And here is a picture of one of the cats that came out of the car. Ignore the dark spot that is just from the camera lining up with the honeycomb of the cat, it's not a burnt mark like I originally thought. You can see some imperfections over on the left side, I wonder if this has anything to do with the FI.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ahl395

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
My car must have 1000ft of wire in it at this point. Lol

Ran the following wires today...

4Ch RCAs
Speaker wires for front tweeter, mids, woofers
Helix DSP Bass Knob (ran through center console)
Power wire to meth injection system controller
Power wire to meth injection pump
Remote wire
Relay wire
Meth tank low level sensor wire
Meth system stainless braided line

None of it connected yet, but just running them took a good part of the day :lol:

RCAs are KnuKonceptz Triple Shielded. Speaker wires for the woofers are 16AWG, tweeters and mids are the large blue cable which is 18AWG speed wire. Wires may seem small but theyre matched correctly for the amount of current going through them to meet the 300 circular mils per amp standard. Believe it or not all the panels went back on and look good, cant even tell theres 100 wires ran through them lol.

IMG_20170909_160826.jpg
IMG_20170909_144222.jpg
IMG_20170909_173842.jpg
IMG_20170909_163030.jpg
IMG_20170909_163105.jpg

Also took a drive by video at light throttle. The sound from the BOV can be heard hundreds of feet away and the exhaust is crazy even at mid/light throttle. The best part of the video was the guy coming out to the street complaining :lol::lol:

[ame]https://vimeo.com/233159024[/ame]

Last edited:

cgreen5150

cgreen5150
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, Premium, PP, Recaros
My car must have 1000ft of wire in it at this point. Lol

Ran the following wires today...

4Ch RCAs
Speaker wires for front tweeter, mids, woofers
Helix DSP Bass Knob (ran through center console)
Power wire to meth injection system controller
Power wire to meth injection pump
Remote wire
Relay wire
Meth tank low level sensor wire
Meth system stainless braided line

None of it connected yet, but just running them took a good part of the day :lol:

RCAs are KnuKonceptz Triple Shielded. Speaker wires for the woofers are 16AWG, tweeters and mids are the large blue cable which is 18AWG speed wire. Wires may seem small but theyre matched correctly for the amount of current going through them to meet the 300 circular mils per amp standard. Believe it or not all the panels went back on and look good, cant even tell theres 100 wires ran through them lol.

Also took a drive by video at light throttle. The sound from the BOV can be heard hundreds of feet away and the exhaust is crazy even at mid/light throttle. The best part of the video was the guy coming out to the street complaining :lol::lol:

https://vimeo.com/233159024
Too funny! It looks like you're just cruising and not getting crazy. Did you do some aggressive drive-by earlier or is he just the grumpy "get off my lawn" old man?

Sponsored
OP
OP
ahl395

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
Too funny! It looks like you're just cruising and not getting crazy. Did you do some aggressive drive-by earlier or is he just the grumpy "get off my lawn" old man?
Before that we were doing some mid throttle drive bys. Still slow and under the speed limit but the car is so loud it sounds like your flooring it :lol: I use that road for testing and the grouchy old man has come over and given me crap before lol. Sounds like I'm racing even though I'm under 35.

Cobo_pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
What part of NJ you in Ahl, I'll be in Bergen county in 2 weeks

OP
OP
ahl395

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
Got under the car today to check for false knock. Took a look at the MAK Cat deletes and resonators while I was under there. And tightened up some of the sound system wire which drooped after driving with it for awhile.

Amazing how much room is in there without the cats in place. I was also surprised how cool the pipes were even after just driving. Those cats really retained heat before.

As far as false knock results I found the BOV had some marks from hitting the grille opening I made, so I made it slightly bigger (forgot to take a pic of that). My resonators are very close and almost touching so I thought they may be hitting eachother, but directly after them is the H pipe so they are completely solid. I couldn;t get them to rattle or touch eachother. So idk :shrug: Pics below.

IMG_20170921_072603.jpg
IMG_20170921_072714.jpg
IMG_20170921_072808.jpg
IMG_20170921_091110.jpg
IMG_20170921_091112.jpg
IMG_20170921_072749.jpg

What part of NJ you in Ahl, I'll be in Bergen county in 2 weeks
Oh awesome. I'm in Monmouth/Hudson county. Shoot me a PM would be cool to meet up!

Last edited:
OP
OP
ahl395

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
Finished up building my subwoofer box today! Still has to be carpeted, sealed, and wired up. But at least the structure is done. Took a few shots of the subwoofers going in also and the massive 4" voice coils. Pics below.

Made supports on the back of the box to keep it 4" off the back of the trunk for room for my methanol tank and/or fill pipe. Got a quote for the methanol tank I posted designs of in the last page and the quote is way too high. So I will be trying another design making the tank wide as the trunk and 4" thick behind the box which will be a simpler design and hopefully cheaper.

IMG_20170922_113809.jpg
IMG_20170922_113857.jpg
IMG_20170922_130247.jpg
IMG_20170922_130255.jpg
IMG_20170922_153936.jpg
IMG_20170922_154004.jpg
Snapchat-904319637.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: