Vato

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Saleen White Label
Vehicle Showcase
The only way I'd get out of my current ride in 2021 would be for an aluminum body, 5.0 ecoboost, and recaro seats for mature men.
Sponsored

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
I can see it being weight neutral or gaining some weight to improve its IIHS small overlap score.
I wonder if the 2018 has already added bracing to improve this score. I know that other manufacturers made changes to vehicles within a model year to improve the small front overlap score without making any noticeable changes to the vehicle.

With the entire front end of the Mustang changing, it should have been easy for Ford to solve the IIHS SFO score issue.

OP
OP
Topnotch

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
From what I have been told about S650. The chassis will remain largely the same, specifically dimensionally due to the cost of architecture changes.

The powers at be felt the money spent on changing the body structure was better spent achieving inproved results elsewhere in the car.

To me that means minor material or stamping profile changes within the confines of tool replacement or cost reduction.

I imagine the S650 body structure will be within 10 lbs of S550 weight; that's is lighter or heavier. I can see it being weight neutral or gaining some weight to improve its IIHS small overlap score.

What this does allow for is the targeting of weight in other areas. Cradles, knuckles, suspension links, closures, and impact structure.

The GT350 has validated some of these material change strategies as well.

I can see S650 having more bolt on aluminum suspension components and CFRP components; specifically front cradle and upper rad support.
S650 is all new

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
Please define all new, majority "all new vehicles" are far from that in reality.

I wouldn't even call S550 all new from SN197, I would guess it effectually is an 75% 90% tear up. I doubt Ford wants to spend a Billion dollars on platform with one vehicle on it. I would put money its a slight evolution if that. You just don't get that much return on investment, engineering validation is expensive. I would love to be wrong.

Because from an Architecture standpoint the all new 2015 F150, is a 2014 with the appropriate changes to build in aluminum.

Last edited:

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
Topnotch confirmed in July that the S650 would be built on the all-new D6R platform.

Sponsored

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Please define all new, majority "all new vehicles" are far from that in reality.

I wouldn't even call S550 all new from SN197, I would guess it effectually is an 75% 90% tear up. I doubt Ford wants to spend a Billion dollars on platform with one vehicle on it. I would put money its a slight evolution if that. You just don't get that much return on investment, engineering validation is expensive. I would love to be wrong.

Because from an Architecture standpoint the all new 2015 F150, is a 2014 with the appropriate changes to build in aluminum.
The S550 is all new.

Back in 2011/2012 the original plan was to evolve the S197 platform, however that was trashed in 2013 and they started a from the ground up.

Spirit Of Fire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Faster Horse
This is how you design a car. Not the crap Ford is experimenting with these days. What the new Mustang should have looked like from the front.
vvv.PNG

Vato

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Saleen White Label
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=30916]Spirit Of Fire[/MENTION] that needs more mustang design cues. That is more Audi than anything.

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
Shit, I completely forgot about D6R even sat through a presentation.

Well case and point, while a different platform there is no way Ford is bank rolling a unique advanced Mustang platform in within that time frame. There is no money in it.

While there is Lincoln concept sketches, they got shelved, it is supposed to be about the same size.

Sponsored

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
The S550 is all new.

Back in 2011/2012 the original plan was to evolve the S197 platform, however that was trashed in 2013 and they started a from the ground up.
There is atill alot of legacy in S550. Things are rarely clean sheeted due to best practices, and validation time frames.

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
Shit, I completely forgot about D6R even sat through a presentation.

Well case and point, while a different platform there is no way Ford is bank rolling a unique advanced Mustang platform in within that time frame. There is no money in it.

While there is Lincoln concept sketches, they got shelved, it is supposed to be about the same size.
The all-new "D6" platform is the donor platform which D6R is based on, so Mustang won't be getting it's own unique platform, rather, it will be part of a modular platform. While that may mean some compromises in the traditional Mustang design it will allow much cost-sharing that is required to keep it feasible, affordable, and competitive.

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
The all-new "D6" platform is the donor platform which D6R is based on, so Mustang won't be getting it's own unique platform, rather, it will be part of a modular platform. While that may mean some compromises in the traditional Mustang design it will allow much cost-sharing that is required to keep it feasible, affordable, and competitive.
Honestly I am not that worried. Being able to amoratize R&D, SG&A and profit over more volume will only help the Mustang.

The Camaro didn't really suffer from a performance side. GM just decided to top hat the Alpha Camaro more aggressively than the Zeta and making preventing visibilty improvements.

The only thing that worries me is stock tower height. Alot of the other Ford platforms have high shock towers which drive higher hood profiles. That is the last thing the Mustang needs.

Jason Castriota and some other solid designers are on S650. I have heard a little about where the car is going from a design perspective, should be interesting.

MattMurdock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT
Hiding in Plain Sight

You're right not to worry. ;) I'm not sure if anyone else has pointed this out, but I believe TopNotch (Dave Pericak, for the uninitiated) left a clue about the next generation Mustang that many of us have overlooked. In the video he posted on page 28, you can see what is very likely the next generation Mustang (S650), or at least a hint at what Ford has been kicking around. Stop the video at 38 secs in, and you can see it in all its glory. My apologies in advance, if someone has pointed this out already.
TopNotch knows his stuff (for obvious reasons) and is the real deal. :ford::clap2:

Side note: I've been reading the forums long before I became a proud owner of a carryover 2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT (October 2016). I've always loved the 'Stang (I also owned one long ago, which I sold upon the approaching birth of my first child). The Mustang will always be a part of my DNA, no matter the iteration. A true classic.

Honestly I am not that worried. Being able to amoratize R&D, SG&A and profit over more volume will only help the Mustang.

The Camaro didn't really suffer from a performance side. GM just decided to top hat the Alpha Camaro more aggressively than the Zeta and making preventing visibilty improvements.

The only thing that worries me is stock tower height. Alot of the other Ford platforms have high shock towers which drive higher hood profiles. That is the last thing the Mustang needs.

Jason Castriota and some other solid designers are on S650. I have heard a little about where the car is going from a design perspective, should be interesting.
NextGenMustang.gif

OP
OP
Topnotch

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
That's the DS E-Tense Concept
7a03adf1-d472-489a-81d1-6b619b703c0b.jpg
Sponsored