Sponsored

old ATE super blue and flushing brakes

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I've got a can of *unopened* ATE super blue that I've had for 10+ years sitting in the back of my supply cabinet. Forgot I had it, but now too skeered to use it. Why ruin a track day on a can of brake fluid that might be contaminated? That ATE super blue sure was handy to know when you had your brakes flushed completely though. What do you guys do to make sure you've flushed enough through? I've been just wasting a bunch of extra fluid just to "make sure" I've flushed enough. Maybe this should be under brakes forum, but figured the track guys have it down to a science. :D
Sponsored

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I've got a can of *unopened* ATE super blue that I've had for 10+ years sitting in the back of my supply cabinet. Forgot I had it, but now too skeered to use it. Why ruin a track day on a can of brake fluid that might be contaminated? That ATE super blue sure was handy to know when you had your brakes flushed completely though. What do you guys do to make sure you've flushed enough through? I've been just wasting a bunch of extra fluid just to "make sure" I've flushed enough. Maybe this should be under brakes forum, but figured the track guys have it down to a science. :D
I always do it manually.

I use a syringe to take all the fluid out of the reservoir.

Then put new fluid in and bleed.

After the first 500ml bottle you can see that you are all good.

OP
OP

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I always do it manually.

I use a syringe to take all the fluid out of the reservoir.

Then put new fluid in and bleed.

After the first 500ml bottle you can see that you are all good.
Yeah, that's exactly what I do, but how do you "see" you're all good when the new fluid looks just like the old fluid after the calipers are cleared of their fluid? Is there a dye that's safe to put into brake fluid? Seems like some smart company would market something like the super blue but with alternating "clear" and "amber" colors since both are allowed.

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Yeah, that's exactly what I do, but how do you "see" you're all good when the new fluid looks just like the old fluid after the calipers are cleared of their fluid? Is there a dye that's safe to put into brake fluid? Seems like some smart company would market something like the super blue but with alternating "clear" and "amber" colors since both are allowed.
Typically when fluid gets old you can see it change.

It will typically get darker.

With doing this for so long I know after 500ml to 750ml goes through I know the fluid is good now.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Funny. I too have an unopened can of ATE Super Blue and noticed it's been taken off the market. I assume I can't use it anymore due to age. What is the typical replacement from ATE?

EDIT: Looks like ATE Gold 200 is the direct replacement.

Sponsored

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Funny. I too have an unopened can of ATE Super Blue and noticed it's been taken off the market. I assume I can't use it anymore due to age. What is the typical replacement from ATE?

EDIT: Looks like ATE Gold 200 is the direct replacement.
You can also try ProjectMu brake fluid. It is some pricey stuff but I have been using it for about 2 years with no issue. It has a very unique quality in that it changes color as it ages, it will change color from a light green to crystal clear when it is time to change the fluid.

http://www.project-mu.co.jp/en/products/other_fluid.html

Wet Boiling Point = 221*C/430*F
Dry Boiling Point = 335*C/635*F

Dave

OP
OP

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
it will change color from a light green to crystal clear when it is time to change the fluid.
Interesting... wonder how they get away with selling that in the US since it starts green. Where do you buy it?

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Interesting... wonder how they get away with selling that in the US since it starts green. Where do you buy it?
I think the last time I bought it from Evasive Motorsports but just do a search on google for the lowest price.

Dave

sonicc

Mr. Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
just save it around and sell it on eBay as a collector's item in another 10 yrs :)

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Typically when fluid gets old you can see it change.

It will typically get darker.

With doing this for so long I know after 500ml to 750ml goes through I know the fluid is good now.
This ↑↑↑

Motul RBF600 with typically one track day - the fluid closest to the calipers and only 3 track days total in the system will look something like this ↓↓↓ . The first fluid out of the front calipers starts coming out darker.

picture.jpg

When it comes out amber in color from all four calipers, you'll have bled out about half a liter. After three times, you'll have essentially done a complete flush.

Norm
Sponsored