s550v6

Mike
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6
I just ordered a case of 6qts of RP HPS and my friend is giving me grief that since it is not warranty compliant as soon as I put it in my car my entire powertrain warranty is void....as if adapting a GT throttle body to fit my V6 isn't voiding it enough.

My real question is do I have anything to worry about in the way of my engine blowing up or something from the added ZDDP? I think I'll be fine but I was wondering what you all think?
Sponsored

OP
OP
s550v6

s550v6

Mike
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6
Uh.. no? Pretty sure you'll be fine. Never heard of oil blowing up engines.
Neither have I, although on amazon there appears to be at least one review blaming specifically the HPS blend as the reason for their engine "blowing up". I was just wondering if the extra zinc will cause me any issues in general, the most catastrophic being engine failure.

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
You should be fine. I've switched to Mobil 1 Full Synth long ago. I doubt the zinc is going to have any negative effect. It will probably help if anything.

Sponsored

MIIPILOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 AUTO,1977 MUSTANG II
The high zinc oils are for mechanical lifter cams. The zinc leaves a slick film on the metal parts and prevents premature wear. the new oils have eliminated the zinc for several reasons. One being pollution and two because the motors now have roller cams and are designed not to need the zinc. The zinc probably won't hurt anything but your mileage slightly and maybe a horsepower or two. I would think it's better to use the high zinc oil than standard motor oil because it should prevent wear better.

Phil@JDM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Bullitt, 2004 Cobra, 1968 Fastback
high zinc in modern motors is actually very harmful to your oxygen sensors and catalytic converters. Best stuff to use is amsoil signature series. It Last's 25k miles, does not break down like standard petroleum oils and it runs lower temps. www.performancesynthetix.com

OP
OP
s550v6

s550v6

Mike
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6
high zinc in modern motors is actually very harmful to your oxygen sensors and catalytic converters. Best stuff to use is amsoil signature series. It Last's 25k miles, does not break down like standard petroleum oils and it runs lower temps. www.performancesynthetix.com
Does it hurt them enough that I should change out my RP HPS with 1000 miles on it?

N123456

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt Premium
Another good one is Penzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic. Made from natural gas, a good amount of people on the forum run it. It runs super clean, Indy guys are even using it.

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
As Phil stated the Emission Equipment is the reason the warranty could be voided. The low zinc oils have been developed for late model engines. The API ratings of SM/SN will not form deposits on the Cat's. If deposits build up on them and they overheat, during deceleration they will/can get drawn back into the cylinder causing ring failures. Ford has some pretty extensive documentation on these failures so just be aware.

Sponsored
OP
OP
s550v6

s550v6

Mike
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6
awesome

thank you guys, looks like i'll get to changing my oil soon

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
Likewise, learn something new everyday. Going to go with the natural gas Penzoil Ultra Platninum.

OP
OP
s550v6

s550v6

Mike
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6
I'll probably go Redline just because everyone I've read has had great experiences with their oils. I wish RP had an oil with Synerlec and not the ZDDP. Oh well :shrug:

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll probably go Redline just because everyone I've read has had great experiences with their oils. I wish RP had an oil with Synerlec and not the ZDDP. Oh well :shrug:
FWIW, upon looking at the oil thread in the maintenance section Quaker State Ultimate Durability offers comparable shearing protection to the top-shelf stuff such as Penzoil Ultra Platinum etc. without having to spend extreme coin. I was going to use the Natural Gas Penzoil but the prices have shot up significantly (running $70+ for 6 qts).

I just changed my oil today with the Quaker State Ultimate Durability Fully Synthetic and I think it will be my oil of choice for the duration due to its good scores via independent testing and bang for buck. I am not a fan of going past factory recommended intervals so I did not see why I should spend more on oil for extreme intervals. **Note Quaker State & Penzoil are both owned by Shell so they share stock.

Last edited:

N123456

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt Premium
FWIW, upon looking at the oil thread in the maintenance section Quaker State Ultimate Durability offers comparable shearing protection to the top-shelf stuff such as Penzoil Ultra Platinum etc. without having to spend extreme coin. I was going to use the Natural Gas Penzoil but the prices have shot up significantly (running $70+ for 6 qts).

I just changed my oil today with the Quaker State Ultimate Durability Fully Synthetic and I think it will be my oil of choice for the duration due to its good scores via independent testing and bang for buck. I am not a fan of going past factory recommended intervals so I did not see why I should spend more on oil for extreme intervals. **Note Quaker State & Penzoil are both owned by Shell so they share stock.
I agree with you. But for reference, next time look on Amazon. I got 6qts for $43. Just did another change with it today because I think the car feels great with it.
Sponsored