Sponsored

New MA Inspections

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Anyone here get an inspection sticker for your Mustang with an aftermarket exhaust on after October 1st of this year? I heard they are being really, really strict with noise as well as the new inspection process as well.
Sponsored

angermgmt14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium--Oxford White--A6
Fortunately I snuck in before the new system went live. When I went in (9/29) I was actually nervous about the new inspection system due to my header/exhaust setup. They had all the cameras installed but he said they were waiting on something to come in before they started. The tech at the dealer I went to said that as far as he knew they weren't recording sound. It was more for video evidence that the techs were performing all the "proper" inspections. Hopefully someone else can chime in who has went through the new process. I'll get to enjoy my car for at least another year...:D

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
My son's shop does inspections, nothing has changed rules wise, just that the inspection process is being video taped (no sound recording though). Biggest issue for my son is he had a couple guys that did inspections that didn't have the license (used his), now he has to send them to the class and get their own license.

If you have an abnoxiously loud exhaust you will get rejected but the fact you have an aftermarket exhaust won't matter. Also, there was fear that you wouldn't get a sticker with a CAI but there is no requirement to lift the hood.

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Comp Orange / Daily 2010 F-150 5.4L
Are they actually revving the motor to see how loud the exhaust is though? I'm catback only but it sings quite loud after 2500/3000, no huge volume different at idle and low throttle. If that's a problem, guys with headers are likely screwed.

I don't see why they would need to rev, unless there is a check box to check the exhaust for noise levels. What is the dB limit in MA anyways? I know it can vary from town to town, but what is the state limit?

Cplennon17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
:(

Rhode Island is cracking down on inspections too. Kind of stupid they are worried about the dB's of a mustang exhaust, yet I've heard nothing about motorcycles that are WAY louder than my Roush X pipe and mufflers.

Sponsored

antny825

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
Just had mine done. Not much has changed, except they took some pictures of the front and rear plate and the vin#.No revving of the engine. In and out of there in about 15-20 minutes.

angermgmt14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
"with an exhaust system which has been modified in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the exhaust."
Doesn't every aftermarket system amplify/increase the noise emitted? :shrug: :ninja:

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
^ this confused me as well. I guess you can interpret this two ways. If you buy aftermarket and do not modify the muffler/piping from the way it came from the supplier it is legal. Or the more hard lined approach, any modified or aftermarket exhaust is not legal.

To muddy the waters more... my car was bought from a dealer (out of state) with the aftermarket exhaust already on. Car was CPO'ed with the exhaust on... does that change things?

Sounds like it going to be left up to the inspection station if they let you through or not. Good to know they aren't revving the motor, thought that would be silly but it is Mass after all. Laws like this drive me crazy, if a cop is having a bad day he could easily give a ticket with the way this is worded. Nothing is measurable or definable, only open to interpretation. Don't get me wrong... I'm not asking for a dB limit

VertMustang98GT

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I was debating on moving to MA a few years ago and the inspections kind of strayed me away from pursuing it as I have a Full SW Setup.

I hope you're able to get by with your car since you bought it "As Is w/Aftermarket Exhaust", CompOface...Same to you Stage 3!

Sponsored

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Thanks! I'd be in the same boat if it didn't have the exhaust on when I bought it. I was looking at this setup (Borla Atak cat-back) or Roush cat-back to throw on day one, just got lucky that it already had the Borla Atak's on and even better the dealer doesn't mark up for it

angermgmt14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Well, I have Kooks LT's w/cats and Corsa Extremes. Needless to say it's pretty loud but I haven't had any issues with the police....yet. :ninja:

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
I'd love to hear that setup... then I'd finally have to give in to my want for LT's!

angermgmt14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
I would embed my youtube video of my cold start but for the life of me I can't figure it out? :frusty: