A/C Evaporator Factory Defect

GtKris10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kristen
Vehicle(s)
2015 PP Gt Mustang
So my '15 just hit 36,250 miles and of course the a/c did what most of you have gone through. Driver side is warmer than passenger.... luckily and thankfully, my local dealership is warranting the evap. The service writer knew exactly what it was when i told him... gave me a rental car and said see you in two days.
Sponsored

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
So my '15 just hit 36,250 miles and of course the a/c did what most of you have gone through. Driver side is warmer than passenger.... luckily and thankfully, my local dealership is warranting the evap. The service writer knew exactly what it was when i told him... gave me a rental car and said see you in two days.
Coukd you ask them what would be out of warranty repair cost when you pickup the car?

Also, is evap issue soecific to GT or any s550?

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black Ecoboost Base Auto w/ 19's
To those of you who went over the replacemen, what was the cost stated in the invoice?

I can tell you that BMWs also have the evap issue (probably the same supplier). BMW didn't announce any tsb/recall and the cost of replacement is very steep. Also involves interior removal.

I have the invoice put away along with all the loan documents/service history, I'll sort through it and get you the exact number but from memory I believe it was around $1,300.. I think.

SubZombie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP 401A
I got my car back from the Dealership in Asheville, NC a couple days ago. It took them about 5 days and they paid for my rental (my car was only the second evap core they had done, they were closed one of the days, and I had them do an alignment as well). I am extremely picky with scratches and rattles and I will say they did a great job. It's perfectly quiet, no scratches, and I think the slight rattle that popped up once in a while from the light dial is gone.

Only thing that isn't quite right is my shifter, the metal piece you lift to get it into reverse seems looser than it was and can make some noise shifting.

Sponsored

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
When these start hitting around 50k miles, I bet we'll see tons of them at the dealer for this issue. I smell a future class action lawsuit.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
unlikely

clicklogical

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Convertible Performance Pack
I got my car back from the Dealership in Asheville, NC a couple days ago. It took them about 5 days and they paid for my rental (my car was only the second evap core they had done, they were closed one of the days, and I had them do an alignment as well). I am extremely picky with scratches and rattles and I will say they did a great job. It's perfectly quiet, no scratches, and I think the slight rattle that popped up once in a while from the light dial is gone.

Only thing that isn't quite right is my shifter, the metal piece you lift to get it into reverse seems looser than it was and can make some noise shifting.
I bet they broke the clips in trim piece around the shifter. Search this forum and you will see tons of people who have done the same... Including me. :doh:

Mrdomo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Coupe
Here is a Short run through of what my experience with the AC evap was
(I live in central Florida) (car had 35200 miles at time of service) (5.0 base GT Automatic)

Day 1. Car turned on took forever to cool.

Day 2. Car Cooled Passenger side only at first then about 20 - 30 mins in it started cooling drivers side

Day 3. Car Cooled Passenger side only at first then about 20 - 30 mins in it started cooling drivers side but at random times it would spray a white substance (ash like)

Day 4 - 15 Room Temp AC from both sides

Day 16 - Dropped off the Car @8:00 AM told the Ford Service Rep what i thought it was and some of the research i did.

Day 16 - Around 3 PM Rep calls me back to confirm it was the Evap Coil and that the Tech was in the process of removing the dash and replacing the part. (they had the part in stock - Not sure if its a new or old part)

Day 17 - Around 11 AM i get a call from the Service Rep letting me know the car was ready and that they also replaced the door latch for the recall. She also informed me that the tech heard a Thumping noise coming from the engine at times and that i should make another appointment and bring the car back in the following week to get it looked at.

Day 18 - Picked up the car. There were some grease stains on the dash -_-... but it didn't look too back. Looks like they did a good job. no rattles and no miss alignments (at least none that i can see).

Day 19 - Noticed the Remote start no longer works... Not sure if its because of the door latch or the dash install or what else but it just wont remote start anymore.

Now i am taking it back in tomorrow to get it the remote start and thumping thing looked at.

Overall the service department was super nice to me and very very courteous. No damage to the dash and hopefully these loose ends wont take long to fix. Everything was covered under warranty and they even provided a loaner for 3 days.

as far as price the statement said that the entire job including the latch replacement was $2,800... If this happens again outside of warranty i might have to trade for a 2018.....

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Here is a Short run through of what my experience with the AC evap was
(I live in central Florida) (car had 35200 miles at time of service) (5.0 base GT Automatic)

Day 1. Car turned on took forever to cool.

Day 2. Car Cooled Passenger side only at first then about 20 - 30 mins in it started cooling drivers side

Day 3. Car Cooled Passenger side only at first then about 20 - 30 mins in it started cooling drivers side but at random times it would spray a white substance (ash like)

Day 4 - 15 Room Temp AC from both sides

Day 16 - Dropped off the Car @8:00 AM told the Ford Service Rep what i thought it was and some of the research i did.

Day 16 - Around 3 PM Rep calls me back to confirm it was the Evap Coil and that the Tech was in the process of removing the dash and replacing the part. (they had the part in stock - Not sure if its a new or old part)

Day 17 - Around 11 AM i get a call from the Service Rep letting me know the car was ready and that they also replaced the door latch for the recall. She also informed me that the tech heard a Thumping noise coming from the engine at times and that i should make another appointment and bring the car back in the following week to get it looked at.

Day 18 - Picked up the car. There were some grease stains on the dash -_-... but it didn't look too back. Looks like they did a good job. no rattles and no miss alignments (at least none that i can see).

Day 19 - Noticed the Remote start no longer works... Not sure if its because of the door latch or the dash install or what else but it just wont remote start anymore.

Now i am taking it back in tomorrow to get it the remote start and thumping thing looked at.

Overall the service department was super nice to me and very very courteous. No damage to the dash and hopefully these loose ends wont take long to fix. Everything was covered under warranty and they even provided a loaner for 3 days.

as far as price the statement said that the entire job including the latch replacement was $2,800... If this happens again outside of warranty i might have to trade for a 2018.....
1300 mentioned in the prev.thread and 2800 is a big difference...

Sponsored

Mrdomo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Coupe
ill look at the paperwork see where the money is coming from... since it was covered i didn't even think about the price tag but if someone payed 1300 that's a huge issue.

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black Ecoboost Base Auto w/ 19's
Well this is interesting.. when I got my car at the dealer I signed the invoice at the cashier that stated the cost on the bottom at around $1,300, I didn't pay anything, it was covered under warranty.. my car had 9,000 miles at the time.. 18 months ownership.

The copy of the invoice they gave me which I thought said the same, says nothing.. N/C, just list the work done.. I'll include a pic.

(edit - I dunno why photobucket is being a douche)

just an FYI, my service guy knew exactly what it was as soon as I mentioned AC, he told me all he had to do was check if they had evaporator cores in stock, once he verified he told me it would take 1 day to fix.. and it did, dropped it off 11:00am one day, picked it up noon the next day.

Also, a big sign I missed because it never occurred to me that the evaporator was leaking, is condensation on my windshield as if I had turned on the windshield vents.. it happened constantly and I never thought anything of it I just figured it's hot and humid outside (nighttime) and I got the AC going.. whatever. That was until the AC stopped working completely. I expect bad evaporators to break down around the 1-2 year mark, the mileage reported ranged widely but the ownership time seems to be consistently more than 1 year less than 2 from what I have read.

Mrdomo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Coupe
Just went through the paperwork and every total is set to n/a and or 0 but there are 5 pages worth of "repairs". I am assuming the total of 2890.00 at the bottom corner is based on Evap + Door latch + Thumping noise diagnostic + Loaner ? When i drop off the car again tomorrow ill ask them for the exact number of the Evap coil job alone.

Last edited:

Mrdomo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Coupe
Also, a big sign I missed because it never occurred to me that the evaporator was leaking, is condensation on my windshield as if I had turned on the windshield vents.. it happened constantly and I never thought anything of it I just figured it's hot and humid outside (nighttime) and I got the AC going.. whatever. That was until the AC stopped working completely. I expect bad evaporators to break down around the 1-2 year mark, the mileage reported ranged widely but the ownership time seems to be consistently more than 1 year less than 2 from what I have read.
you are absolutely right. I did notice that too...

GtKris10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kristen
Vehicle(s)
2015 PP Gt Mustang
Coukd you ask them what would be out of warranty repair cost when you pickup the car?

Also, is evap issue soecific to GT or any s550?
My service guy said it would have cost me around $1300 out of pocket.
Sponsored