Sponsored

2015-17 Mustang GT Ford Performance Power Packs

Keith_PDX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/PP
Can't speak for everyone, but for me it was the much higher torque down low of the PP2 that got me excited as oppose to the lower torque but higher HP at the end (6500+ RPM) of the tach. for PP3
+1
Sponsored

BustedKnuckle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP
I have been running the PP3 for over a month. Overall very pleased. Yes it rev hangs above 3k cold and the throttle plate slaps shut when turned off. Neither bother me in the least. Car pulls great to the limiter. Only complaint is the no lift shift. Its OK for WOT shifts but it also causes the engine to stutter a couple times during high RPM lift shifts. Im sure my foot is still lightly on the clutch pedal causing the stutter. Hard to break the habit. Whats up with the octane adjust feature? Any reason to turn it on?

MarkH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP Vert
I have been running the PP3 for over a month. Overall very pleased. Yes it rev hangs above 3k cold and the throttle plate slaps shut when turned off. Neither bother me in the least. Car pulls great to the limiter. Only complaint is the no lift shift. Its OK for WOT shifts but it also causes the engine to stutter a couple times during high RPM lift shifts. Im sure my foot is still lightly on the clutch pedal causing the stutter. Hard to break the habit. Whats up with the octane adjust feature? Any reason to turn it on?
It's there if you can't find decent gas in your area. If it don't ping then you dont need it

Keith_PDX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/PP
I turned it on just to see what it did. Small decrease in power and throttle responsiveness.

Sponsored

Rustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rustan
Vehicle(s)
LB '17 GT Premium PP
Has anyone yet (haven't seen a post yet) played with an aftermarket intake and power pack 1? I'm running a Mishimoto intake and wondering if the pp1 tuning will play nice with that intake, and will power levels be more than the claimed 13/16 From Ford due to the intake?
I have the Mishimoto intake and PP1 and they work together just fine. I don't have any dyno runs to verify power but I didn't feel big gains adding the intake to the PP1.

saf1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack
Thanks all for the replies. Makes sense. I was, or still am, interested in the 3rd package for the extra RPM range. Then I started to ask myself where would I even use it or how often... But since I'm in Ca and all our laws for parts - go figure.

May be a dumb question but do the performance packages trump out other legal mods, if there are any, like headers or cat back systems? Or do they all ignore one another and if have a number your set?

MarkH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP Vert
Thanks all for the replies. Makes sense. I was, or still am, interested in the 3rd package for the extra RPM range. Then I started to ask myself where would I even use it or how often... But since I'm in Ca and all our laws for parts - go figure.

May be a dumb question but do the performance packages trump out other legal mods, if there are any, like headers or cat back systems? Or do they all ignore one another and if have a number your set?
If you have headers you'd do better with a custom tune, catback won't make much difference.

Sponsored

BEASTMASTER15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP
Wow guys....what a thread!!! It took me all week to read through everything and I am so impressed with the knowledge I've gleaned from all of you. Every few pages I've said, "No it sounds bad, I'm not going to get one...Wait, it sounds good, I'm going to get one" (PP2.) I've got a 2015 GT/PP. So I'm still undecided, and where I live in Utah I need to be emissions compliant. So I guess it's the PP2 or 3 or nothing!

TOP KEK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Oxford White
Wow guys....what a thread!!! It took me all week to read through everything and I am so impressed with the knowledge I've gleaned from all of you. Every few pages I've said, "No it sounds bad, I'm not going to get one...Wait, it sounds good, I'm going to get one" (PP2.) I've got a 2015 GT/PP. So I'm still undecided, and where I live in Utah I need to be emissions compliant. So I guess it's the PP2 or 3 or nothing!
I feel the same way reading this thread. It's like an emotional roller coaster. I feel like I'd appreciate the better low-end torque from the PP2 as realistically most of my driving is below 3500 RPM, but honestly it seems like aftermarket is just a better option.

The PP2 isn't a bad value for the money (considering that tuners and tunes are expensive) but the Steeda or JLT intakes are probably better, the GT350 TB seems meh, and at that rate I'd want a tune that could take advantage of an aftermarket exhaust.

fewt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
You probably could do a little better with a custom tune, but you can definitely feel a significant difference after PP2 all around, and you keep your warranty which was significant to me.

Keith_PDX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/PP
I have a little over a week now on my PP2. The first few days I was a little concerned that I had made the wrong choice purely due to the abrupt and jerky throttle response at 3500rpm. At that point I still had the stock exhaust on the car. For reasons that I still don't fully comprehend, adding the higher flowing mufflers resolved 90% of that! Keep in mind this is just an axle back. I think the tune was designed for higher flowing exhaust. This is all purely my own speculation and experience but I cannot argue with the results. It definitely smoothed out the throttle. I am quite happy with the package now and there's no denying the added torque and power of the system is very street friendly.

I did submit a case with Ford Performance though for the issue. I am awaiting the tuning engineers second response. I don't have high hopes for an upgraded tune coming out but I think it's the responsibility of every person who has an issue to provide Ford Performance their feedback just like you would any other local tuner. Enough feedback and they will eventually do something to improve it. Squeaky wheel gets the grease....

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
I have a little over a week now on my PP2. The first few days I was a little concerned that I had made the wrong choice purely due to the abrupt and jerky throttle response at 3500rpm. At that point I still had the stock exhaust on the car. For reasons that I still don't fully comprehend, adding the higher flowing mufflers resolved 90% of that! Keep in mind this is just an axle back. I think the tune was designed for higher flowing exhaust. This is all purely my own speculation and experience but I cannot argue with the results. It definitely smoothed out the throttle. I am quite happy with the package now and there's no denying the added torque and power of the system is very street friendly.

I did submit a case with Ford Performance though for the issue. I am awaiting the tuning engineers second response. I don't have high hopes for an upgraded tune coming out but I think it's the responsibility of every person who has an issue to provide Ford Performance their feedback just like you would any other local tuner. Enough feedback and they will eventually do something to improve it. Squeaky wheel gets the grease....
Keep us informed of what happens.
Sponsored