2017 R Production Nos. - Straight from Flatrock

tdzee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
85 Corvette, 04 Corvette Z16, 08 350Z NISMO, 15 CTS-V Coupe, 17 GT350R
They already have back-up cameras, except for the base R. It wouldn't take much to add a little screen to the base R if needed. Or they could eliminate the base R model.
They could add the BU cam using a rear view mirror display type vs radio display. Incremental cost very low. Am considering doing that on my base R. :thumbsup:
Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Oh I understand. If I currently had an R or had one coming and was locked on a price, I'd want Ford to decrease production so mine maintained value. Who doesn't want a hot car with low production #'s?

If you're honestly not worried about the price of your car (hence, investment), you'd be happy they were producing more. Most cars lose value when you drive them off the lot.. you'd still lose less on this car than most. What if your car got totaled? Isn't it better that you could more easily replace this car that you loved?

R prices have already been much, much lower than last years prices (before they announced 2X the production #'s), so it is what it is. You still own an incredible track car, enjoy it and don't worry that others will have something as awesome as you. :p

I think it's great that others might get to enjoy more of these cars. I'm not confident this will result in lower prices across the board. The GT350s have and will continue to be a "gift" to Ford dealers in that the demand is so high, dealers are able to easily get MSRP + ADM for many of these. Dealers aren't going to automatically cave just because there are more of them, IMO.

Personally, yes, I like having a car that is less common..but here's the real deal... I've lost money on SO many cars over the years. Naturally, cars depreciate quickly and if you like to change cars from time to time, it's painful to be the one to absorb all of that lost value right off the bat. This is the first car I've ever been able to enjoy (for almost a year now) with no loss of value...it's a nice feeling after all these years, lol. More cars on the market could easily drive down the used car market, if dealers DO drop to MSRP across the board...which regardless of if I want them to or not....I suspect the might not.

The hope is for a win win. Hopefully, the extra cars will be available at MSRP for most of you guys and at the same time, the value/desirability of the cars will keep even the used values very high, close to MSRP for another year or two. Depending on the direction Ford takes, these cars (all of them, not just the R) could see a little boost in value over the next couple of years.

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I've been doing a fair bit of research over the last few weeks. This number sounds accurate. I was told via my dealerships manager that the Ford rep stated there would be no fall 2018 production for the R. All the 2018's would start in the spring of 2018. So this explains what the rep referred to as a long build of 2017 with standard mustang and gt350 production to start in October.

Tflong24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I currently have a deposit on an R that is arriving in a week or so. I am paying what I thought was a decent ADM (for an R, I purchased my 17 GT350 with no ADM), even though I still struggle ot pay one at all. I was already worried the market would soften and ADMs would drop, now I am more concerned. Yes I want the car, but if the ADM drops say 5k in the next 6 months due to this larger number of cars available, that is a lot of money, at least to me. I may back out. This entire ADM business is bull. but as many have said, ADMs exist because a lot of us keep paying them.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I currently have a deposit on an R that is arriving in a week or so. I am paying what I thought was a decent ADM (for an R, I purchased my 17 GT350 with no ADM), even though I still struggle ot pay one at all. I was already worried the market would soften and ADMs would drop, now I am more concerned. Yes I want the car, but if the ADM drops say 5k in the next 6 months due to this larger number of cars available, that is a lot of money, at least to me. I may back out. This entire ADM business is bull. but as many have said, ADMs exist because a lot of us keep paying them.
#SAYNoToADM!

#FCKADM

Sponsored

Mr. Adair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT3
We are never going to teach the dealers a lesson on ADM. They have the cars and we want them. If you can afford the car at 68K but can't at 73K maybe you shouldn't be buying it? How about that? :shrug:

Either pay the 5K or the extra $70 a month and buy the car and have a effing great summer or stop bitching about ADM's. If we owned the dealership we would be doing the same thing. We all love the free market society until we have to buy something..

And I am not saying 5K is peanuts because it's not. I respect your view on principle for sure. I just think along different lines..

Good Luck!

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
HAHA! This is funny. Those guys that "supposedly" are going to buy because the numbers are higher and they "should" be able to get one at MSRP, are the same guys that will want the price of their car, considering they can buy one at MSRP, to stay relatively high resale value. They don't realize that when Ford builds more yes you will pay less but you will also lose more on resale. I have no problems with it, I like a community of R owners, but please don't be dumb. I'll continue to enjoy my car. The ADM cost me a days wage, sure thats a day gone, but I had fun doing the work.

2000 R's is still relatively low compaired to 350's= 15000-20,000. I realize the GT is an all together different car, but how many 2005/6 GT's were made?
I think they make possibly 500 for '18 and then slip it to the next SE. Now, if they build a R model in the next SE, that SHOULD be a 2 year run haha! Its all good fellas. Just hope Ford brings it with this new SE.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
This is unusual for a mustang model year to drag on thru September. Its too bad. we wont see any '18 350's until next spring. Man, I was hoping for the next SE to be here next spring. LOTS of time to wait.... wait... wait.... wait....

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
We are never going to teach the dealers a lesson on ADM. They have the cars and we want them. If you can afford the car at 68K but can't at 73K maybe you shouldn't be buying it? How about that? :shrug:

Either pay the 5K or the extra $70 a month and buy the car and have a effing great summer or stop bitching about ADM's. If we owned the dealership we would be doing the same thing. We all love the free market society until we have to buy something..

And I am not saying 5K is peanuts because it's not. I respect your view on principle for sure. I just think along different lines..

Good Luck!
Not all dealers charge ADM. True story! Back in the day when I ordered my car I choose a track pack over an R @MSRP. This was very early on before rear seat modifications where available and I needed back seats. I skipped the 17my for an R because I was enjoying my TP. Now I have 1st right of refusal for an 18my R @MSRP, same dealer. I keep my business there for that reason. I am picking up a 16 R next month and don't know what I will do with my allocation as of yet. If I choose not to trade and buy the 18 R I will most definitely square someone away. #FCKADM #SAYNoToADM

Mr. Adair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT3
Not all dealers charge ADM. True story! Back in the day when I ordered my car I choose a track pack over an R @MSRP. This was very early on before rear seat modifications where available and I needed back seats. I skipped the 17my for an R because I was enjoying my TP. Now I have 1st right of refusal for an 18my R @MSRP, same dealer. I keep my business their for that reason. I am picking up a 16 R next month and don't know what I will do with my allocation as of yet. If I choose not to trade and buy the 18 R I will most definitely square someone away. #FCKADM #SAYNoToADM
I agree completely. There are MSRP dealers out there for sure. I bought my GT3 from one and yes, it's all about relationships. Once you have established the right dealer and the right relationship you should be good to get your cars at MSRP and continue to drive new models as they come to market. That said, it takes a while to establish this. It's hard for new buyers to get to that point...

Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
I get ADM's and the free market. But doesn't mean I have to like it or buy it. ; )
I rather prefer the way Ford sold the GT. Make your pledge to the manufacturer for SE models and kill garage queens FOREVER!!! LOL

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
My dealer doesn't charge ADM, problem was he couldnt get the R! Will sell me a Demon at MSRP though... PASS!!

Tflong24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R

Good Luck!
It is not a question of affording the extra 5k, or that I disagree with the free market in action. In the end, the consumer decides the selling price of the car. If very few people paid ADMs, they wouldn't be so prevalent. It depends on the products desirability and the consumers willingness to pay.

GM tried ADMs on the Z28, the cars desirability fell, the ADMs disappeared and quickly went to discounts. Same with the Hellcats. It is rather impressive that the 350 in both forms (regular and R) has held up like it has as far as ADMs go. Or it shows us Ford guys want what we want and will pay for it.

I am simply trying to get the best deal I can on a great car. I did not pay ADM on my Boss 302 when most were and I did not pay ADM on my 17 350. So it is hard for me to do just on principle. I had finally talked myself into it, now something comes along to make me think more.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I get ADM's and the free market. But doesn't mean I have to like it or buy it. ; )
I rather prefer the way Ford sold the GT. Make your pledge to the manufacturer for SE models and kill garage queens FOREVER!!! LOL
I liked how ford did the loto process for the '17 GT, although I didn't like the media Geek stipulation. Why not just send in an application directly to ford with what dealer you would like to buy from, then they determine whether to send you the allocation? Works for me. I can handle losing out to someone else by sheer odds. Thats the way it goes. I don't think I should lose out because I'm not in the media spotlight.

Anyway, something like that would work for me. I don't mind paying ADM on something thats "worth it to me" but waiting forever... thats what I don't like. If this next SE is a ho-hum plain supercharged 5.2 CPC, I'm not even interested in it.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I don't ever plan to sell the car. However why would I be happy to pay more for it than I have to based upon Ford's 10% R production?

So why the attitude? Read your last sentence. Please don't make this personal, OK?
Tom, I understand your concern completely along with the concerns of many other R model enthusiasts that paid an ADM for their 2017MY R models based on information from Ford stating that the total R model production for each MY would be ~10%.

Unless Ford produces 10,000 GT350's for the 2017MY then the projected 10% production numbers for the 2017 R models will not be accurate.

My point is that if many of us knew up front that Ford would be producing ~1000 R models for the 2017MY and not ~500 as promised I would suggest that it would have certainly changed the way many enthusiasts looked at paying ADM's for their 2017 R models.

This scenario takes me back to late 2006 and early 2007 when I was looking to buy a 2007 Shelby GT500 which was the first model year of the 8 year production run.

Prior to the launch of the 2007 Shelby GT500's I had a great interest in this new model with information provided to me from Ford as being a "Limited Production" vehicle. No one at Ford would commit to total production numbers and with ADM's being crazy on this new 2007 GT500 I wanted to make sure that I did not over pay like many of my car buddies based on accurate production numbers.

Bottom line I did not buy a 2007 GT500 unlike many of my car buddies who did at crazy prices only to find out that Ford would build 10,844 examples that year. I still have a lot of car buddies who are still fired up over that scenario.

Obviously 1000 R models for the 2017MY is not a large number but when people understand that only ~500 are going to be built I would suggest that their mind set is a lot different with respect to ADM's on that total build versus a 1000 cars or possibly more.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out and what effect these new projected production numbers will have on the 2018 R production numbers with the order banks for them scheduled to open on Monday, June 12th.

;)
Sponsored