Sponsored

Cold start w/sweet smell, white smoke, rough idle (Problem?)

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
If there is a coolant leak, coolant can pool in a cylinder and damage a piston at cold start. Best to get it looked at asap.
That's exactly what I was going to say. If it pools coolant in the cylinder, it'll hydrolock it. If you can borrow a ride or something, I wouldn't risk it at all.
Sponsored

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford f250 turbo diesel and 2016 mustang svo
That's exactly what I was going to say. If it pools coolant in the cylinder, it'll hydrolock it. If you can borrow a ride or something, I wouldn't risk it at all.

He could just pull his plugs have a look , turn it over clear his cylinder couldn't he

OP
OP
K-Roll302

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
What would I be looking for if I pulled my plugs? Also, pulling the plugs before a drive every time would get old and time consuming very quickly; though, I would be a master spark plug installer afterwards...

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
if there is coolant leaking into a cylinder, and you pull the plugs, and turn the engine over, maybe that will push out any coolant, and be obvious. Although I don't know if that is reliable way to approach this. How much coolant does it take to cause a problem? Or cannot be "burned" and sent out the exhaust.

OP
OP
K-Roll302

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
Update

Still going to the dealership tomorrow. I topped off the expansion tank to right at the max line on Thursday, this is how it looks this afternoon, now between max and min (that wide point on the tank. With the P0316 code for misfire at startup (first 1000rpms), and this evidence to boot, a head gasket failure is likely, bummer. :(
Not Good.png

I cannot fathom or understand what caused the failure though. My cylinder head temps never exceeded 190F with my mods, the last time they even touched 200F was before I even started modding. I'm sure there's more ways to have a head gasket fail other than heat.

Sponsored

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
Still going to the dealership tomorrow. I topped off the expansion tank to right at the max line on Thursday, this is how it looks this afternoon, now between max and min (that wide point on the tank. With the P0316 code for misfire at startup (first 1000rpms), and this evidence to boot, a head gasket failure is likely, bummer. :(
Not Good.png

I cannot fathom or understand what caused the failure though. My cylinder head temps never exceeded 190F with my mods, the last time they even touched 200F was before I even started modding. I'm sure there's more ways to have a head gasket fail other than heat.
The head gaskets on the FoRS have had some issues too, so it might be something similar to those failures. The important thing is, making sure it gets fixed before it causes a catastrophic failure.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The head gaskets on the FoRS have had some issues too, so it might be something similar to those failures. The important thing is, making sure it gets fixed before it causes a catastrophic failure.
head gasket does sound like a cheaper repair than a new short block.

OP
OP
K-Roll302

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
K-Roll302

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
Update

Taking the car back as is. Engine tech won't look at it unless the grille shutters are put back in (I held onto those for a year and threw them out a couple months ago...). So I guess this'll be something I have to find out on my own or something like that.

Sponsored
OP
OP
K-Roll302

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
why do they care about grill shutters ?
The tech wanted to get it back to as stock as possible before going further... And I fail to see how grill shutters could possibly have anything to do with it. Grille shutters aren't gonna cause what I noticed and I had them out for a year with no issues other than a code for them being missing. My mod friendly service adviser couldn't sway him otherwise and I'm not about to buy a $300 (grill shutters are that much from Tasca) part I removed a year ago just to put back in.

So I'm left to just checking the coolant more often and driving as I normally do until something happens. Be it, the problem goes away on its own, or worse.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The tech wanted to get it back to as stock as possible before going further... And I fail to see how grill shutters could possibly have anything to do with it. Grille shutters aren't gonna cause what I noticed and I had them out for a year with no issues other than a code for them being missing. My mod friendly service adviser couldn't sway him otherwise and I'm not about to buy a $300 (grill shutters are that much from Tasca) part I removed a year ago just to put back in.

So I'm left to just checking the coolant more often and driving as I normally do until something happens. Be it, the problem goes away on its own, or worse.
Can you find another dealership ? Either that or an independent mechanic.

Coolant isn't like engine oil, that you just monitor and top off. If enough pools into a cylinder, you will immediately be in the market for a short block.

OP
OP
K-Roll302

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
Can you find another dealership ? Either that or an independent mechanic.

Coolant isn't like engine oil, that you just monitor and top off. If enough pools into a cylinder, you will immediately be in the market for a short block.
That's what I'll have to do, find an independent mechanic that could handle something like this; I doubt any dealer would want this. In a perfect world I'd do it myself, frankly.

OP
OP
K-Roll302

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
:(

NG.png

This isn't getting better. It is getting worse faster. I need to find someone willing to solve this problem ASAP.

FraG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 EcoBoost
Mate, you must be made of money. Why on gods green Earth are you driving this vehicle. You really want to blow it and buy a built motor obviously, its the only reason! Seriously you are moments from disaster. That oil is fubar.

If the guy wants grill shutters so he can do this under warranty I suggest you either buy new ones, borrow from someone on the forums (I am sure there would be plenty).. whatever you do do not drive it, my god... I am sure your next post will show you a nice $5000 repair bill.
Sponsored