Sponsored

ebay intercooler

smdandb2

ManBearPig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Corolla SE
They got them from the same supplier, so they did not rip off mishi.
The fuck they didn't. You can see Mishimotos engineering blog showing the process of the design of their unit.

https://engineering.mishimoto.com/2...ost-intercooler-part-2-prototype-fabrication/
https://engineering.mishimoto.com/2015/02/the-mustang-ecoboost-intercooler-part-3-prototype-testing/
https://engineering.mishimoto.com/2...st-intercooler-part-4-final-prototype-design/

Ripping off other products is all but too common in this industry.

For all I know Mishimoto contracted out a company in China to produce their design and said company also produced the exact same thing and sold it much cheaper themselves. While in this particular scenario it is not reverse engineered, it was still ripped off. I don't know if this is the case here though, just a guess.
Sponsored

OP
OP

nancy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang Ecoboost
The fuck they didn't. You can see Mishimotos engineering blog showing the process of the design of their unit.

https://engineering.mishimoto.com/2...ost-intercooler-part-2-prototype-fabrication/
https://engineering.mishimoto.com/2015/02/the-mustang-ecoboost-intercooler-part-3-prototype-testing/
https://engineering.mishimoto.com/2...st-intercooler-part-4-final-prototype-design/

Ripping off other products is all but too common in this industry.

For all I know Mishimoto contracted out a company in China to produce their design and said company also produced the exact same thing and sold it much cheaper themselves. While in this particular scenario it is not reverse engineered, it was still ripped off. I don't know if this is the case here though, just a guess.
Shiet, I was misinformed, thats what i get for not doing my research :headbonk::headbonk:

Im actually really interested now in how rev9 has literally the identical intercoolers. Maybe it is the factory in China, just producing the same design and selling it themselves? I wonder what Chinese laws protect companies against factories.

smdandb2

ManBearPig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Corolla SE
Shiet, I was misinformed, thats what i get for not doing my research :headbonk::headbonk:

Im actually really interested now in how rev9 has literally the identical intercoolers. Maybe it is the factory in China, just producing the same design and selling it themselves? I wonder what Chinese laws protect companies against factories.
Honestly, it would not be the first time. From what I hear from different industries is that kind of stuff happens all the time in China.

There are no laws in China to stop this... none at all.

I get wanting to do things on the cheap. But being cheap does come at a cost to everyone else when companies stop innovating due to fear of their designs being ripped off and sold for much cheaper. Bigger companies have the cashflow to not be as affected by this, but your smaller operations could be completely devastated by a cheap knockoff.

Dirty-EB-Chicago

V.I.P Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EcoBoost (Ingot Silver)
Never underestimate how far the Chinese will go to rip something off. I work in the nuclear power industry, and without divulging anything let's just say we design the really important components. The Chinese once bought a contract for 16 of these components, enough to build four seperate plants. Upon delivery for the first component they cut out of the contract, (keep in mind the client is the Chinese government) they paid us for the first one. We later found out they started making their own version of our component. One of these units is worth tens of millions and is incredibly intricate. They don't care tho, why pay us to do it right when you could just steal the design and make a horrible version of it. They even had the nerve to contact us about a trouble shooting issue in the manufacturing process for their clone version of our property. It's unreal. I will tell you they have yet to get their components to function properly, they build before they understand, and they try to figure it out later. Keep this in mind when buying Chinese clones. It could very well work just fine and all is well, or it could be a shotty version of something put together without a care in the world. Food for thought y'all.

Dspec_S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Mustang Ecoboost
again, I compared the pictures I could find of the mishi one, and the rev9 one that I got, the endtanks were different, and the internal structure of the baffles were NOT identical.

They are very similar, and I would not be surprised if there are a few american companies manufacturing some of their parts in china, and you can only make an intercooler that has the stock dimensions, that fits using the stock mounting locations, made out of the same material as others, look much different.

I bought two of the four tires for my new rims with the cost savings..

Sponsored

Dspec_S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

ITS NOT THE SAME INTERCOOLER, OR THE SAME MANUFACTURER!

they are similar, and the mishimoto one does look to be of better quality, but it was negligible in my eyes. To be honest, I almost went water-to-air, but the price and simplicity, I went back to air-to-air.

REV9 - Fully cast end tanks, including the brackets

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Mishimoto - Cast end tanks, but the brackets are welded on billet pieces.

mmintmus415bk_6.1335.jpg

Last edited:

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Hard for me to evaluate as I haven't seen the Ebay one in the metal, but having seen the MAP Street and Race on my car as well as helping install a CPE and a Mishi on other peoples EBMs I may be able to provide some insight.

The MAP street and CPE had better quality looking welds and were a bit thicker than the Mishimoto IC but all there fit fine without any issues whatsoever.
The endtanks on the MAP are excellent, the turns are nice and smooth with a gentle radius for smooth flow, The CPE was also excellent next but looked like a sharper bend and slightly less volume in the endtank. Without putting them on a flow bench I couldn't tell you if those would be any disadvantage at all.

The Mishi had the sharpest turn in to the core and the least endtank volume. but is still miles better than stock.
The Ebay ones look alot like the mishi but the end tanks are basically metal versions of the plastic ones on the oem unit but wider to fit the larger core. I think it will be absolutely fine at FRPP or even E30 power levels.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I have the Rev9 on my Ecoboost.

From a performance standpoint I have nothing to compare to other than the stock unit. Compared to it the car does not get sluggish on hot days and my butt dyno is telling me it is making more power on the top end (or not losing as much).

From an appearance standpoint the craftsmanship is excellent, it looks like a quality piece. Early on my career I managed the engineering test lab of a company that made flat plate heat exchangers for military applications. I could only wish the product we produced looked as nice as the Rev9 unit.

I did quite a bit of research on Rev9, they have large range of intercoolers and from what I could find they were well respected on the BMW forums. Very little of the "Chinese knockoff" retoric you hear here.

There is an old hot rodders saying; What is the answer to "How fast do you want to go? How thick is your wallet."

Are there better intercoolers than the Rev9? Without a doubt.

Is it a piece junk not worthy of your consideration? Absolutely not!

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
so these are not quality intercoolers, because you say it isn't?

he asked if anyone has tried it, not what your unqualified opinion is...
With the knockoffs, u never know what u are getting. Sure one member gets it and it fits well. Then other say the fitment is not as good. The point is that they will be less consistent than buying a good name brand and have proven to fit well. Get what u want but IMO, you bought a 26K-32K mustang, if u cant afford name brand parts, dont get any at all.

Dspec_S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With the knockoffs, u never know what u are getting. Sure one member gets it and it fits well. Then other say the fitment is not as good. The point is that they will be less consistent than buying a good name brand and have proven to fit well. Get what u want but IMO, you bought a 26K-32K mustang, if u cant afford name brand parts, dont get any at all.
these are the exactly pointless comments that we dont need in this thread. We dont need your opinion if you havent actually used the parts aformentioned.

Sponsored

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
If a $350 intercooler from Rev9 will meet my needs just as well as a $500 one from a 'name brand', I'll get the $350 one. It has nothing to do with disposable income. In my case, the Rev9 intercooler fit perfectly and has more than met my needs for daily driving.

firedaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I have the Ford Racing tune and a Rev9 Intercooler. It works great. fits my needs just fine. Quality looked good. Ive had no complaints. Im sure there are "better" ones for what I do its been just fine.

DW
Sponsored