Why no FoMoCo Mustang derivatives?

OracleHCR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Otis
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP1, Mag, AE
While not quite on par with the CTSV, the MKZ has the option of AWD and twin turbo 3.0 V6. With 400 hp and 400 lb tq, it'll get you down the road pretty quick. It is the Lincoln version of the SHO.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack

anyone ever tell that to Cadillac? :lol:
Cadillac changed their brand strategy. That's why they can get away with it and are reasonably successful at it. They are direct competitors to BMW and Mercedes. Lincoln doesn't have that competition nor can they compete but nor are they looking to. For every Model of BMW, you can about align something with Cadillac. Lincoln has none of that.

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
I'm disappointed myself but I think:

- SUVs/crossovers are where luxury buyers are at or are going to.

- GM hasn't been too successful in the amount its invested into 'updating' Cadillac vs the returns they're getting.

I think the dream of a Mustang-related RWD sedan or derivative was tried and killed with the Lincoln LS. I don't think the market is there nor does Ford/GM really have the customers they want (those that buy the import luxury stuff)

Muff Muff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue GT PP

Sponsored

OP
OP
Carzzi

Carzzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rapid Red 401A PP1 A10 Magneride
EPA policy maybe has something to do with this insofar as higher allowed consumption for the large SUV and truck class of vehicles. A large GT luxocoupe would invoke fleet mileage penalties. Let's hope that policy changes.

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
Cadillac changed their brand strategy. That's why they can get away with it and are reasonably successful at it. They are direct competitors to BMW and Mercedes. Lincoln doesn't have that competition nor can they compete but nor are they looking to. For every Model of BMW, you can about align something with Cadillac. Lincoln has none of that.
.......and this is why Lincolns sales are so piss poor.
They need a overhaul of their image badly.
Building a Mark VIIII S550 variant would do wonders.
Enough with this front wheel drive based crap. This has not worked for over two decades.
Time For A Major Change!

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KorumFord.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
11 GT500 Glass Roof Coupe
Actually the front drive Fusion and the Mustang have a great deal in common. That is why they are both built at Flatrock.
Fusion hasn't been built at Flatrock in nearly a year. Flatrock builds Mustang and Continental currently.

Fusion and MKZ are built in Hermasillo Mexico now.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KorumFord.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
11 GT500 Glass Roof Coupe
.......and this is why Lincolns sales are so piss poor.
They need a overhaul of their image badly.
Building a Mark VIIII S550 variant would do wonders.
Enough with this front wheel drive based crap. This has not worked for over two decades.
Time For A Major Change!
Minor detail, but VIIII is not a proper Roman numeral. It would be IX, by the way.

Back on topic, though, have you driven a 2017 MKZ 3.0L? I got to drive a few of them at Las Vegas Motor Raceway's infield track last summer. They were the 400 hp / 400 tq twin turbo all wheel drive models. I pushed them extremely hard and they have great power and excellent handling. With its Torque Vectoring, it sends power to the outside rear tire to power hard out of corners like a rear drive vehicle. Very impressive!

Sponsored

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Lincoln sold a performance car at one time.

fl0116-230151_12.jpg

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
The company Ford used to share the Mustang platform with no longer exists. If Mercury was still around then there would likely be a Cougar on the S550 platform. The demand for 2 door performance coupes is not all that high. There are plenty of 4 door performance sedans out there to choose from with more on the way but even those are losing ground to CUV's

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
Minor detail, but VIIII is not a proper Roman numeral. It would be IX, by the way.

Back on topic, though, have you driven a 2017 MKZ 3.0L? I got to drive a few of them at Las Vegas Motor Raceway's infield track last summer. They were the 400 hp / 400 tq twin turbo all wheel drive models. I pushed them extremely hard and they have great power and excellent handling. With its Torque Vectoring, it sends power to the outside rear tire to power hard out of corners like a rear drive vehicle. Very impressive!
You're right on the Roman numerals.....lol.
But all of this front wheel drive based mess is just not working.
Lincoln needs the S550 chassis or we should say S650 instead?

OP
OP
Carzzi

Carzzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

But somehow, VIIII seems more regal than having yet another overused X in model nomenclature :)

The problem isn't how capable the MKZ or whatever is. It's how plain vanilla uninspiring it looks. And one reason why all those Lincolns look so drab is their plebian proportion, the uninspiring FWD proportions. Heck even though Audi pretty much has its cars' engines in the trunks of the cars ahead of them, they've done some proportion magic to push the front wheel openings farther away from the door edges, giving them the verisimilitude of RWD based cars.

Ford already has a most excellent RWD platform: exploit it like an up-and-coming Hollywood starlet!

OP
OP
Carzzi

Carzzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You're right on the Roman numerals.....lol.
But all of this front wheel drive based mess is just not working.
Lincoln needs the S550 chassis or we should say S650 instead?
:amen:

This man said in three lines what took me forty seven.
Sponsored