Sponsored

Thrown rod, in my ecoboost (pics included)

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
Which cylinder did the rod let go in ?
Sponsored

OP
OP
S5fiddy

S5fiddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Squirtle
Vehicle(s)
16' Mustang Ecoboost *Magnetic* Prem.
Which cylinder did the rod let go in ?
Not 100% sure yet. But judging by where the hole is and the fact that my number 2 cylinder was giving me problems. I'm going to say it was number 2.

OP
OP
S5fiddy

S5fiddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Squirtle
Vehicle(s)
16' Mustang Ecoboost *Magnetic* Prem.
How's things going with this?
UPDATE

I've agreed to have Ford disassemble the engine to examine it more in depth. It's gonna cost me $1700 to have that done. But if they still refuse. Then I'll look towards my attorney. If I didn't pay for that disassembling of the engine. Then I would have to pay for the new engine, turbo, coolant, oil pan etc. Which came out to $6k +

I'm very much sad and empty without my baby :( Ford has me driving a Ford escape as my rental.

I live in Irvine CA. Lots of sport cars on the streets over here. Hearing the engine makes the pain even worst lolol

offcamber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Magnetic GT - Premium/PP
First of all I hate to hear this is still not resolved and you don't have your baby back.

So, now you are paying Ford to pull and examine the engine and if they determine that the tune caused the failure you are out 1.7k? At that point they hopefully will apply what you already paid to a replacement engine but I'm not sure that's guaranteed.
Can Ford sell you a rebuilt?
Now if you bought a salvaged engine with 20,000 miles on it the cost would be $2.4k plus labor which would bring the total to around 4k.

I hope this works out with Ford some how.

I see there's a brand new engine in the 6G Marketplace for $1,800. http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88690

Last edited:

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
UPDATE

I've agreed to have Ford disassemble the engine to examine it more in depth. It's gonna cost me $1700 to have that done. But if they still refuse. Then I'll look towards my attorney. If I didn't pay for that disassembling of the engine. Then I would have to pay for the new engine, turbo, coolant, oil pan etc. Which came out to $6k +

I'm very much sad and empty without my baby :( Ford has me driving a Ford escape as my rental.

I live in Irvine CA. Lots of sport cars on the streets over here. Hearing the engine makes the pain even worst lolol
I wouldn't pay for an attorney, it is fairly trivial to make possible connection between mods and a failure and it's much more difficult to disapprove it - often failure analyses are inconclusive (and it's my daily business).

You took a risk installing mods, own up to it.

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
what dealership do you have it at? (im in OC as well)

good luck on getting it covered under warranty, IDk how that's going to go tuned though

Drek08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
'17 mustang GT PP
How did they know the vehicle was tuned?

StingyStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT base PP
If i was S/M No way i'm covering that. Just man up and buy a used motor. They're pretty cheap, relatively speaking. Quit asking Daddy Ford to pay for your mistake. Shakes head.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I'm still not seeing how Ford will even cover the damages "under warranty", when it's been previously mentioned that the accrued mileage on the car is past the Ford drivetrain warranty - and the fact the car was tuned.

What am I missing?

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, Recaros/2014 Explorer Sport 4X4
I had a Mazda 3 motor blow on me twice and my local Ford dealership replaced it twice and the car was tuned and had quite a few bolt-ons. It really depends on the dealer. I know when I purchased my Mustang Galopin Ford they didn't seem to mind if the card was modded as long as it was still under warranty they do the work Some dealers really stick to their policies. I jump all over that motor for 1800, then I would turn around and by better rods and pistons to put in it along with some ARP Hardware honestly the attorney it's probably not going to get you nothing. So you can either eat the cost of replacing the motor or eat the cost of trading in the car to the dealer and getting another car and going upside down on your loan. That's exactly what I ended up doing trading it in a focus I had when I blew the motor in that and the Dealer decided not to replace it. Best of luck it's definitely a process and learning experience.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
Sorry to hear about your car and we all hope you get back on the road soon. 74k is well past the 60k mile factory PT warranty. I have read several people ask why you think Ford is responsible for replacement regardless of being tuned or not and you haven't given an answer. Did you purchase an extended warranty or not? Does your dealership offer a lifetime warranty or not?
Sponsored