Sponsored

Bc coilovers

Melbnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt
Evening,

Someone on here has installed bc coilovers... I cannot remember who. Can you let me know your thoughts on therm? Also is there more noise now?

Thanks
Sponsored

SnowyB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB Mustang GT
Not sure I ever stated on here, but I am running BCs. I like them as i got the drop I was after with more room to go. They are pretty stiff over stock but I haven't messed with the rates, i think they are still set as they came as I haven't tried to get to the rears, the installer said I would need ramps to adjust?
As for noise, I haven't really noticed much?
I think they are good bang for buck, one of the higher rated lower cost coilovers.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=22068]Josh_TypeX[/MENTION] has them also

Josh_TypeX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue GT
As Burkey said I have the BC Racing Coilovers fitted.

The car handles very well. Ride comfort over relatively smooth roads is excellent, better than stock. Over more aggressive bumps in the road the ride is quite harsh. Can definitely tell that they are a high spring rate. Like SnowyB, I have not played with the dampers, currently have them set on the mid point. So can't say how much softening them up will help.

One issue I am having is a bit of a clunk over REALLY big bumps (such as those you will occasionally encounter on country roads). Have adjusted the preload (turned out mine did not have the preload set when supplied, despite the instructions saying the preload on the front comes pre-set). And also need to clock the bushings. So I am currently attributing this to my install rather than the actual product.

As for noise, what sort of noise do you mean? Like suspension clunks etc? Only issue I am having is as described above.

For the price these are a great product. Would definitely recommend them with the one condition of be prepared for a harsher ride. Happy to give you a ride in mine if we are ever in the same area.

Josh_TypeX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue GT
Update on my BC Racing Coilover experience. I adjusted the dampers to the softest setting to see how much it changed things.

One thing to note - you can reach the rear adjustment dial by jacking up the rear. However in order to know which way is softer and which way is harder you have to remove the wheels to see the arrows.

The change in ride was a lot more than I was expecting. Everything is a lot more compliant and less harsh. Definitely approaching "comfortable" now (however I had gotten somewhat used to the firm ride so my opinion may be skewed). Really sharp bumps (such as some railway crossings and the like) are still harsh. And when I got to the poor condition roads along the Great Ocean Road the car was bouncing around more than I would like. Overall handling is still excellent when road conditions allow for it.

Still got some knocks over the harsh bumps... Next step is to finalise the ride height settings, check all my torques and get it in for a wheel alignment and bearing clock. Will see how things are after that.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Melbnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt
Update on my BC Racing Coilover experience. I adjusted the dampers to the softest setting to see how much it changed things.

One thing to note - you can reach the rear adjustment dial by jacking up the rear. However in order to know which way is softer and which way is harder you have to remove the wheels to see the arrows.

The change in ride was a lot more than I was expecting. Everything is a lot more compliant and less harsh. Definitely approaching "comfortable" now (however I had gotten somewhat used to the firm ride so my opinion may be skewed). Really sharp bumps (such as some railway crossings and the like) are still harsh. And when I got to the poor condition roads along the Great Ocean Road the car was bouncing around more than I would like. Overall handling is still excellent when road conditions allow for it.

Still got some knocks over the harsh bumps... Next step is to finalise the ride height settings, check all my torques and get it in for a wheel alignment and bearing clock. Will see how things are after that.
Thanks! Let me know how it turns out and what settings you end up with. I am considering this or just putting camber plates on mine to sort out my negative camber from the springs.

Mqrko

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marko
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016

Did you get the RS or RA coilover ? :)

Josh_TypeX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue GT
Did you get the RS or RA coilover ? :)
I went with the RS. I wasn't keen on having to remove the front strut in order to adjust the camber so didn't really see the benefit of going the RA. Since the RA is a pillow ball top Mount the RS should offer better ride quality in theory... Since ride quality was my biggest concern for the high spring rate coilovers I thought RS would be the best choice for me.

OP
OP

Melbnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt
I went with the RS. I wasn't keen on having to remove the front strut in order to adjust the camber so didn't really see the benefit of going the RA. Since the RA is a pillow ball top Mount the RS should offer better ride quality in theory... Since ride quality was my biggest concern for the high spring rate coilovers I thought RS would be the best choice for me.
So which has the camber adjustment built in?

Josh_TypeX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue GT
So which has the camber adjustment built in?
The RA has the camber tops built in. But to access the Allen keys for adjustment you need to remove the strut. Can only imagine how much of a nightmare it would be to fine tune.

Based on my height drop I think the natural camber should be around what I want. If not I will just get camber bolts.

Sponsored

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
Just bumping this thread.

All BC guys still happy? [MENTION=22068]Josh_TypeX[/MENTION] so your RS coilovers use the factory front strut mounts? That's bloody annoying that the RA camber tops are not adjustable IN the car! Major fail at design there. I have Steeda camber plates on my car at the moment, I suppose I could use these with the RS coilovers giving me camber adjustment? Don't the BC use a smaller diameter spring though?

Any other differences between RS and RA?

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
I dialled them almost back to full soft for my trip up to coffs, was nice and comfy for the long drive. Then turned em right up for the fun stuff, handled nicely. Unfortunately the nittos couldn't quite keep up with the rest of the car :(

Having an open wheel design certainly helps for adjustment, I just reach through and turn the switch.

No other differences between the RS and RA, pretty sure Just Jap only sell the RA now. Can't adjust my tops from in the car, which is annoying but front camber for me is "set and forget". Might change my tune when I get new tyres though, running -2.2 camber

Josh_TypeX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue GT
[MENTION=29474]spiller[/MENTION] no, the RS include new front strut tops. Just that they are non-adjustable rubber mounts, rather than the adjustable pillowball tops that the RA include. I doubt the Steeda Camber plates are compatible with the BC Coilovers. As you say it is a different diameter spring.

But yes I am still very happy with my BC Coilovers. I have around 15k km on them now and they have caused no issues. I recently added some BMR Sway bars and they have brought the handling to the next level. The car sits even flatter, especially during direction changes. Also allow for tuning the balance of the handling, turn in oversteer ftw.

I have also had the car at the track (Phillip Island) since my last post (pre sway bars). The car performed brilliantly on the BC coilovers. There was some instability in the high speed corners (150+ kmh), but I am hoping the sway bars improved that. The rubber bushes throughout are also likely contributing to it.

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
[MENTION=29474]spiller[/MENTION] no, the RS include new front strut tops. Just that they are non-adjustable rubber mounts, rather than the adjustable pillowball tops that the RA include. I doubt the Steeda Camber plates are compatible with the BC Coilovers. As you say it is a different diameter spring.

But yes I am still very happy with my BC Coilovers. I have around 15k km on them now and they have caused no issues. I recently added some BMR Sway bars and they have brought the handling to the next level. The car sits even flatter, especially during direction changes. Also allow for tuning the balance of the handling, turn in oversteer ftw.

I have also had the car at the track (Phillip Island) since my last post (pre sway bars). The car performed brilliantly on the BC coilovers. There was some instability in the high speed corners (150+ kmh), but I am hoping the sway bars improved that. The rubber bushes throughout are also likely contributing to it.
[MENTION=22068]Josh_TypeX[/MENTION]thanks for the update. Sounds like they're serving you really well. I'd love to pull the trigger on a set, it's just the lack of camber adjustment is all that puts me off. I'm not a fan of camber bolts as they tend to move if you're driving the car hard in on track situations etc. I can't get my head around how an adjustable camber top that must be adjusted with the strut out of the car is of any use? That makes setting camber accurately basically impossible, especially since the car has no factory adjustment up front.

Josh_TypeX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue GT
[MENTION=22068]Josh_TypeX[/MENTION]thanks for the update. Sounds like they're serving you really well. I'd love to pull the trigger on a set, it's just the lack of camber adjustment is all that puts me off. I'm not a fan of camber bolts as they tend to move if you're driving the car hard in on track situations etc. I can't get my head around how an adjustable camber top that must be adjusted with the strut out of the car is of any use? That makes setting camber accurately basically impossible, especially since the car has no factory adjustment up front.
It will just take some trial and error to get it right. A little bit of trigonometry will get you pretty close on your second attempt though! As Matt mentioned, for most people Camber is a set and forget thing.
Sponsored