Sponsored

Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5W 20!

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
Has anyone been using Mobil 1 5W 20 Full Synthetic for a while? I just switched from Motorcraft blend to full synthetic. Have you guys tried using 5W 30 as well? S197 owners seem to recommend 5W 30. Thanks guys.
Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum.

If I were to use Mobil 1, I would get the Extended Performance variety.

Not that Mobil 1 is not good... but I have great oil analyses with the Pennzoil.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I used Mobil 1 for almost 15 years, and used 5W-30 on my S197, but when I got my S550, I switched to Amsoil. I've read that the formulation of the standard Mobil 1 changed, and is nowhere near as good as it used to be. UOAs that I've seen seem to back that up. The extended mileage stuff seems to be solid.

If you're not looking to spend $100 on an oil change, I've read very, very good things about Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, but frankly, it's $40 a gallon, you need two, and you're in Royal Purple or Amsoil territory, at that point. I paid $107 for two gallons of Amsoil Signature Series, an Amsoil filter, shipping, and a 1 year dealer pass.

JR

svtsupremacy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0
Used Mobil 1 5w20 on my 2007 GT for 60k miles...no issues. Oil changes at 3,000-5,000. I did 1 oil analysis on that car at around 20,000 miles and it showed pretty good wear according to blackstone labs.

I'm Using Mobil on my 2016 5.0 I couldnt find Penzoil Ultra plat, Mobil 1 is just easy to find and on sale sometimes. I changed to mobil 1 @ about 700 miles

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT Premium
Mobil 1 changed their formula years ago and hasn't been a full synthetic for quite some time now unless you're using the extended performance.

Sponsored

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
About to change mine Saturday. Been running it for 10,000 miles now. Switched from dealership oil at 15,000 with 5000 mile changes. I have my Blackstone sample bottle ready to send off after the change.
I'll make my decision about 10,000 mile intervals after results come back.

OP
OP

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
Mobil 1 changed their formula years ago and hasn't been a full synthetic for quite some time now unless you're using the extended performance.
Formula might be different but if it says full synthetic on the bottle, i m certain the oil is full synthetic, especially for a brand name as mobil 1.

OP
OP

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
Quick update,

Car is running smoother, there is less engine noise and nvh reduced a bit. Outside temps are even below zero and car runs smooth. I also have a lund ff tune and burning 93 octane shell nitro plus! Totally recommend this oil!

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT Premium
Formula might be different but if it says full synthetic on the bottle, i m certain the oil is full synthetic, especially for a brand name as mobil 1.
And you would be wrong. Hasn't been full synthetic for a long time now. Do some research and you'll see.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I've been using 5W-30 M1 extended in every late model rig on the property so I only have to "stock" one oil, never an issue.

Sponsored

Blaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black V6 Vert, manual, 051A, 3:55, no spoiler
Words like "full synthetic" or "advanced synthetic" are just advertising terms.

Motor oils are classified by Groups; II thru V (2 thru 5). Practically all the "synthetic oils" spoken about in these oil threads are a Group III base oil (severely hydrocracked). These oils can be every bit as good for one's engine than a Group IV base oil (polyalphaolefin).

The only MOBIL I oils in North America that are Group IV base are Mobil I 0W40 European Formula and a Diesel 5W50. Perhaps some of their racing oils, but Exxon doesn't disclose that info.

Synthetic blends are Group II base oil with some III or IV added.

AlyourPal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GTPP
I used Mobil 1 5W20 on my 2004 GT for over 100K miles, and loved it. Engine still ran like a top when I sold it for the 2015 GT. Switched that over to Mobil 1 at 3000. Done a few changes since then at 5000 mile intervals. Going to send the next one to Blackstone, but coyote seems to be loving it just as much as the 4.6L.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
The Coyote is not particularly high demand on engine oil. If Ford specified 5w20 blend with 10k oil change interval, a good full synthetic will do better.
Plus most of these cars don't do 10k miles a year so just change once a year.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
It is full synthetic. What people are actually referring to is that the official definition of synthetic changed and some oils changed as a result. Oil can now be called synthetic if it is created by modifying natural oil in specific ways. So yeah its synthetic but it can be less effective than oils under previous definitions of synthetic.

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
FYI Mobil 1 is not a full synthetic. It just needs to be at least 51% synthetic so that they can claim it to be so.

Amsoil, motul and some other good brands are true full synthetics
Sponsored