Sponsored

Official Tesla-Style Head Unit

Desta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost
If you're good at what you're doing on Android there's no need for documentation. Trust me it's pretty straight forward. You can reverse engineering the whole thing like I did. You can create your own app as well. I just built one to integrate Android Auto (Which will connect to my phone) Not just installing the AA launcher from the Market. Give it a shot if you feel adventurous lol:thumbsup:
It is tempting. I have very limited Android development experience but I am a pretty experienced Windows and Linux developer. To give you an idea, I use Vim for just about everything and even use the Vimium Chrome plugin. I think I will play around with my old Nexus 6P and see if I can get a feel for Android development.
Sponsored

StangATX

Project Corrupted Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550 White Corrupted Cyclone
It is tempting. I have very limited Android development experience but I a pretty experienced Windows and Linux developer. To give you an idea, I use Vim for just about everything and even use the Vimium Chrome plugin. I think I will play around with my old Nexus 6P and see if I can get a feel for Android development.
If you have Linux experience then you should be able to get stuff out lol. Trust me I tried to change people from Windsh** to Linux and most of them gave up because it was too complicated lol. I love Linux over any other OS on the market! Only time I use Windows is on a VM or when a family member needs help. Linux isn't that hard if you're into it and love programming. I'm crazy about programming and exploit as you can see... lol.

OP
OP
PatrickHenninger

PatrickHenninger

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - Oxford White
Can you record this from with in the unit?

Can you add a SDCARD or do you need to do OTG usb? Sorry if this was asked
No SD Card support, you can record to USB, and if you connect it to the DVR input, you should be able to record it directly.

StangATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can you record this from with in the unit?

Can you add a SDCARD or do you need to do OTG usb? Sorry if this was asked
Whenever it's in your GT350 I need a video man! lol. I almost got that car even they wouldn't add a 20 or 40k + of MSRP. I forgot what kinda BS they told me. I just went for V6 instead decided to add Turbo haha. I think you'll be the first GT350 with that unit!

Sponsored

Desta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost
If you have Linux experience then you should be able to get stuff out lol. Trust me I tried to change people from Windsh** to Linux and most of them gave up because it was too complicated lol. I love Linux over any other OS on the market! Only time I use Windows is on a VM or when a family member needs help. Linux isn't that hard if you're into it and love programming. I'm crazy about programming and exploit as you can see... lol.
I feel you. I run Arch Linux and i3 on my daily driver. I feel fairly capable as is and have developed a few minimalist android apps for personal use, but I have 0 experience interfacing with hardware. Not even sure where to begin.

StangATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I feel you. I run Arch Linux and i3 on my daily driver. I feel fairly capable as is and have developed a few minimalist android apps for personal use, but I have 0 experience interfacing with hardware. Not even sure where to begin.
Just by running Arch Linux I can see you don't like bloatware and want something fully customizable lol. You should try BSD Unix haha. They just use the Canbus of the car and a special chip that translate the software command for the car...

OP
OP
PatrickHenninger

PatrickHenninger

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just by running Arch Linux I can see you don't like bloatware and want something fully customizable lol. You should try BSD Unix haha. They just use the Canbus of the car and a special chip that translate the software command for the car...
I think it uses OpenXC

StangATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think it uses OpenXC
I was gonna use OpenXC for my prototype and I went to a different route and built my own Micro controller with an Arduino. Not sure if our unit is actually using OpenXC. It's possible! I haven't checked lol.

Desta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost
I run FreeBSD on my server and consider it the perfect operating system. I'm giving it a few months to catch up with my laptop hardware and then I will be running it as my daily.

Interesting...How do you communicate with the chip from Android, GPIO or something? Or do they have drivers built for it? Also, what stops you from building a more recent Android version? Driver incompatibility?

I could use a little side project.

Sponsored

Evil Minion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GTI
Anyone interested in a Tesla Unit, there will be one going up in the Classifieds soon. It will already have the extended antenna, and comes with an extra camera. Screen protector still installed, and a brand new host with no modifications to software. $520 plus the trip!
Are you out of the tesla screen game again? How come?

OP
OP
PatrickHenninger

PatrickHenninger

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you out of the tesla screen game again? How come?
A few reasons...

1. The fingerprints. I can't stand them.
2. My wife is technologically challenged, and refuses to drive my car with it in there.
3. I'm shopping for a new 1911. :D
4. I never intended to stick with it, I just like to try new things, see how far they can develop, make breakthroughs, then I get bored.
5. I'm tired of the arguments. I ended up putting people on an ignore list.
6. I have used 2GB of mobile data just from people messaging me about it. Here, email, Facebook, and Instagram.

StangATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I run FreeBSD on my server and consider it the perfect operating system. I'm giving it a few months to catch up with my laptop hardware and then I will be running it as my daily.

Interesting...How do you communicate with the chip from Android, GPIO or something? Or do they have drivers built for it? Also, what stops you from building a more recent Android version? Driver incompatibility?

I could use a little side project.
OpenXC has it's own API to communicate with the Canbus. What stopped me was the offer that Patrick did to me to dev the Tesla HU. I like challenges and I see a lot of potential in the HU. Just need to tweak it around. I really like the way I managed to do my prototype (Probably one of the best I've made! I found an exploit in AA to run my phone in the car via wireless. Let me explain. Most of the custom HU that people build would love to control their phone via the tablet (Mostly the dial part of the phone. Which for now nobody was able to do at all. Other than just plug the phone in Jack or USB (Usb isn't that stable). The other way around was to buy a third party Bluetooth but still had some trouble with the tablet to control the phone part to dial a number. When I saw what AA could do and has a dev secret menu... I had to find an exploit to make believe the tablet was actually a real factory HU that you'll find in new cars and make my phone connect to it. From there I built an app on the tablet and run AA on the phone like you'd do if you have a car that support AA from factory. However I didn't like the USB part so I found another exploit to make it work via wireless and I'll use my usb on my lighter to charge my phone. My main goal was to keep the factory parts of the car without creating a big custom harness. Which I successfully did! I haven't posted much information about it because I moved to Tesla right after that... I also built a micro controller with Arduino. I wanted everything open source :p If you wanna know more let me know by PM. I don't wanna confuse people lol. I'm not even sure if all I said will make sense to you. sorry in advance :D
Sponsored