Sponsored

People spelling BUMPER wrong online

Earlsays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MUSTANG GT
I have noticed, over the past few years, in various automotive forums, people will spell the word "BUMPER" wrong.

They spell it "BUMBER"

I can't stand it...I think I figured out what it is.

BUMBERSHOOT. That's it.

Also, people say things backwards lately...example, instead of "Lawn Mower" they will say "Mower Lawn" and such...

Is it the internet? Texting? Lack of actual phone conversations? Lack of real face to face conversation?
Sponsored

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
I have not seen bumper spelled wrong and honestly, why does it matter? Did you understand what they meant? This is supposed to be a fun forum, not English 101. I'm sure there are many members whose first language is not English. If I can understand what a post says, I could care less how they spell it. Just my 2 cents...

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I scour eBay all the time for various old car parts, and the misspellings and grammatical mistakes are hilarious at times.

However, I've had it work to my advantage a few times, where the seller misspelled part of the item in the listing title and as a result nobody else found it and bid. :headbang:

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
I have noticed, over the past few years, in various automotive forums, people will spell the word "BUMPER" wrong.

They spell it "BUMBER"

I can't stand it...I think I figured out what it is.

BUMBERSHOOT. That's it.

Also, people say things backwards lately...example, instead of "Lawn Mower" they will say "Mower Lawn" and such...

Is it the internet? Texting? Lack of actual phone conversations? Lack of real face to face conversation?

It's the crappy education system. When they stopped marking spelling and language skills on exams the downward spiral began. The "educators" just sent the message that those skills are kind of optional and it tanked from there. Now no one cares.

The massacre of the language is terrible these days, newspapers and other forms of "journalism" are guilty as well and that is just a disgrace given their function in society.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have not seen bumper spelled wrong and honestly, why does it matter? Did you understand what they meant? This is supposed to be a fun forum, not English 101. I'm sure there are many members whose first language is not English. If I can understand what a post says, I could care less how they spell it. Just my 2 cents...
This might surprise you but on the internet you have to read what other people are trying to say. This means that having proper grammatical and spelling skills is actually beneficial!

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
It's the crappy education system. When they stopped marking spelling and language skills on exams the downward spiral began. The "educators" just sent the message that those skills are kind of optional and it tanked from there. Now no one cares.

The massacre of the language is terrible these days, newspapers and other forms of "journalism" are guilty as well and that is just a disgrace given their function in society.
Mistakes in print media drive me totally bonkers, I see words used in the wrong context almost daily, let alone spelling and grammatical errors. Apparently any hack can be a writer now. :shrug:

(Must be lingering after-effects of my English minor that, for whatever reason, I chose to pair with my engineering degree....)

LG23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT
First language not being English is definitely the majority of who he is talking about. Why he is so angry about it I don't know :shrug:

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
To add to the list..

Escape goat (scapegoat)
Runor (rumor)
Bookmarket (book mark it)

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I own an old Mercury Cougar, so I see the name butchered as "Couger" fairly frequently. Argh.

Another that makes me cringe is "irregardless".

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
This might surprise you but on the internet you have to read what other people are trying to say. This means that having proper grammatical and spelling skills is actually beneficial!
Why the condescension? It might surprise you to know that English is not everyone's first language. What bugs me are those who think they are smarter than others simply because they can type a cohesive sentence on a forum. Congratulations Professor, you win :doh:

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Then again, there are folks for whom English is a second (or third) language, and they still write with perfect clarity. ;)

OP
OP
Earlsays

Earlsays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MUSTANG GT
Now the idea here was not to argue, so lets not argue...just a discussion...I don't want to get this one locked.

Elgyn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost, MT, DIB, Premium, PP
I work at the "top rated" university in the country and the teachers literally have to make the students pass no mater what (or the school will loose funding). That includes making the test easier, changing grades allowing them to re-write the same test multiple times. If a student fails there's a large investigation when the end result the prof will most likely be fired...

Welcome to the era of participation trophies and not have to do anything cause the parents will handle everything....
Sponsored