GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible
Hahaha, no kidding, here at the beach, just operating it in the driveway, I'm sure I've done it in 20-25MPH wind :D
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Here in CO even on a nice day we have wind, sometimes stupid wind with gusts into the 30-60mph range. We had gusts over 100 mph at my work a couple of months ago...not that I'd be putting top down in that weather but still!

C'mon, Ford, gotta keep up with the competition. 3 mph limit is pointless; might as well force us to be parked like the older models. I can't even operate the top while driving in the parking lot at work that has 10 mph speed limit and speed bumps. :frusty:
Sponsored

SirLoin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 Convertible
Speed Sense Wire in PCM

I don't remember who originally posted this PDF wiring information on Mustang6g, as a reference for stereo wiring, but he/she may have inadvertently given us the answer. :hail:

Take a look at the Speed Sense wire on page 2. In case you're unable to open my attachment, here's what it says:

PCM next to underhood fuse box
95 pin connector, either pin 12 or pin 26
Brown/green wire for 2.3L
Yellow/orange for 3.7L, 5.0L, & 5.2L

I can't imagine this wire provides all the speed information for the car, especially considering that this PDF is detailing information for the "remote start, security, keyless entry, & accessories." The list is also missing many wires to complete the gauge cluster, such as trans oil temp, etc., which makes me think this Speed Sense wire might be what we've been looking for.

I would imagine a possible side effect of messing with this would be that you lose speed sensitive volume, wipers, and possibly other features.

My car is still under warranty, and I'm not willing to risk that. Anyone else willing to cut this wire and let us know what happens? :bolt:

Attachments

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
....….......................

But I'm hoping the 2020 or 2021 model has the ability to go down at 190 mph... I need that for my residential driving. :D..........
I am looking forward to your youtube video of this. :headbang:

Last edited:
OP
OP
MaskedRacerX

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
My car is still under warranty, and I'm not willing to risk that. Anyone else willing to cut this wire and let us know what happens? :bolt:
Probably don't even need to cut it, I'll have to look, but I bet you can pry the wire out of the nylon connector.

GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible
You've intrigued me! I'm checking the wire diagrams now to see what all this goes to. I have the full shop manual :)

So, I scoured through the diagrams, and it appears that this wire is the main speed input for the whole car. It is going to the PCM, and I don't see anywhere that the speed sensor connects to the BCM (which controls the convertible top). Unfortunately, it appears that this data is sent through the CANBUS network, which connects all the modules to each other. So, if we cut/remove that wire, the entire car won't know its speed, so this will affect engine performance, transmission (if you have an auto), and your speedometer. This will likely cause a CEL as well.

Sponsored

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
The Miata power tops had a hack for top up/down while moving at a set speed and also a "no hold button" hack. Some really expensive box that went under your seat and plugged into the control module.

I would love a no hold button hack. Chevy guys are using there key fob while my thumb is cramping!

SirLoin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 Convertible
I would love a no hold button hack. Chevy guys are using there key fob while my thumb is cramping!
Check out the "sunroof" open & close wiring in the same PDF above. Now you just need to figure out how to splice-in a one touch module or timer.

At this point, I'd be happy with moving the switch off the windshield header. It's just embarrassing, having to hold the button while everyone sitting outside Baskin & Robbins is staring at you. Complete engineering fail, and I can't believe it wasn't changed with the introduction of the single handle locking mechanism. :crazy:

Due to its simplicity, I don't think the mustang's top has all the complicated sensors that more complex tops have, which monitor the position of the tops during their entire movements. The only sensors I know of on the mustang are windows down, tonneau caps removed, ignition on, speed below 3 mph, and top latch. If you desperately wanted to do it, you could potentially rewire the left and right motors to piggyback off the global open wiring (in the PDF). Then, you just have to remember to unlatch the top, when you park, and pray for no burglars or rain. :lol:

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Check out the "sunroof" open & close wiring in the same PDF above. Now you just need to figure out how to splice-in a one touch module or timer.

At this point, I'd be happy with moving the switch off the windshield header. It's just embarrassing, having to hold the button while everyone sitting outside Baskin & Robbins is staring at you. Complete engineering fail, and I can't believe it wasn't changed with the introduction of the single handle locking mechanism. :crazy:

Due to its simplicity, I don't think the mustang's top has all the complicated sensors that more complex tops have, which monitor the position of the tops during their entire movements. The only sensors I know of on the mustang are windows down, tonneau caps removed, ignition on, speed below 3 mph, and top latch. If you desperately wanted to do it, you could potentially rewire the left and right motors to piggyback off the global open wiring (in the PDF). Then, you just have to remember to unlatch the top, when you park, and pray for no burglars or rain. :lol:
The only thing I understood here was Baskin Robbins. :shrug:

I need someone to figure this out and sell me a kit/switch at a comfortable profit of course!

Sponsored

bee bop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 GT Vert, 2016 GT Vert

Hellman109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible (See my garage)
Vehicle Showcase
For $50 that seems like a no brainier for me, I'd like to see how the install is done and if it looks different to factory in the end.

Hopefully it works on Australian mustangs, I wouldn't see why not though

JohnDoe

<3 short walks to my car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 pp vert
WEb Electric offers a module that adds one touch to the top. I have emailed them and they say the OTT-1M10 module will work for our cars. http://www.webelectricproducts.com/products.htm
This looks like a pain in the ass

Does not disable vehicle motion sensor
Installing the OTT-1M10 into your 2010+ Mustang
__________________________________________________________________________________________
The OTT-1M10 One-Touch Top Module adds a convenient One-Touch feature to your Convertible Top. To raise or lower your top, you just "touch" and release the switch. The top will raise or lower to the end, then quit. The module includes a built-in light bar switch connection to turn off your light bar when the top is up.

Installation Instructions
1) The connections are made to wires going to/from the Body Control Module (BCM) which is located in the trunk on the passenger side behind the insulation panel, near the right rear side marker lamp. During the installation procedure, make sure the power to the car is OFF and the key is NOT IN THE IGNITION. Make sure you have plenty of light so you can correctly identify the wire colors. NOTE: If you can't find the correct wire colors, DO NOT GUESS! Ask someone to help you identify them, or contact us at tech support. Incorrect hook-up can cause damage to your car!

bcm.jpg

2) Unplug connector C4368B and unwrap it to expose the wires. Make the following connections:

c4368bconnections.gif

A) Cut the BLUE-ORANGE (may be solid BLUE) harness wire about 2" from the connector and strip 1/2" of insulation from each end. Using a wire nut, connect the RED module wire to the BLUE-ORANGE wire coming out of the harness.

B) Connect the BROWN module wire to the BLUE-ORANGE wire that goes to the connector.

C) Cut the GREEN-VIOLET (may be solid GREEN) harness wire about 2" from the connector and strip 1/2" of insulation from each end. Using a wire nut, connect the PINK module wire to the GREEN-VIOLET wire coming out of the harness.

D) Connect the VIOLET module wire to the GREEN-VIOLET wire that goes to the connector.

E) Cut the VIOLET-ORANGE and YELLOW-ORANGE harness wires about 2" from the connector. Strip the CONNECTOR ENDS only. Connect both the VIOLET-ORANGE and YELLOW-ORANGE connector wires to the WHITE module wire.

F) Using TWO WIRE NUTS, cap off the harness ends of these wires SEPARATELY. Do not connect these wires to anything.

3) Unplug connector C4368A and unwrap it to expose the wires. Make the following connections:

c4368aconnections.gif

G) Using a quick-splice, connect the YELLOW module wire to the YELLOW-GRAY wire coming out of the harness.

H) Using a quick-splice, connect the GREEN module wire to the BLACK-WHITE wire coming out of the harness.

Plug both connectors back in and make sure they are fully seated.

Optional Light Bar Switch
The OTT-1M10 module contains a built-in Light Bar Switch connection. It is used to disable the third brake light in the bar when the top is in the up position. When the top is down, the light bar turns on when you apply the brakes.

4) If you have installed a light bar, you can make the electrical connections as per the following steps.

I) Using a wire nut, connect the BLACK module wire to the GROUND WIRE of your light bar.

J) Using a quick-splice, connect the POSITIVE WIRE of your light bar to the YELLOW-GRAY wire on the third brake light.

Programming
Since all cars are different, the module must be programmed for proper operation. You will program both the up and down motions. Programming can be done separately and in any order. Follow the steps below.

Top down programming:

1) Make sure the top is fully up (if necessary, press and hold the button until it's closed). RELEASE THE LATCHES!

2) One Touch the DOWN switch 6 times. The top will close.

3) Press AND HOLD the down switch until the top is fully down, then release the switch.

4) The top will raise a bit then lower to confirm proper programming.

Top up programming:

1) Make sure the top is fully down (if necessary, press and hold the button until it's completely down).

2) One Touch the UP switch 6 times. The top will lower.

3) Press AND HOLD the up switch until the top is fully up, then release the switch.

4) The top will open a bit then close to confirm proper programming.

Operation
The module controls both the down and up motions of the top. To operate in One-Touch mode, press and release the up or down switch. Once started, the top will travel to the end and then quit. When closing the top, the motor will continue to run for a few seconds to allow you to pull the top and fasten the latches.

To stop the motion while in one-touch mode, press the switch again. To control the top in manual mode, push and hold the switch as normal.

NOTE: The "vehicle motion sensor" will continue to monitor the speed of the car and disable the top if the car is moving.

OP
OP
MaskedRacerX

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
This looks like a pain in the ass

Does not disable vehicle motion sensor
Hmm, yeah, while it doesn't fix "the problem" being discussed, that's still kind of neat, and it's not too expensive (and yeah, the install is a little janky, but nothing hard).

Tempted.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm, yeah, while it doesn't fix "the problem" being discussed, that's still kind of neat, and it's not too expensive (and yeah, the install is a little janky, but nothing hard).

Tempted.
You say Janky.....I say impossible!

I would buy it in a second if I thought I could wire it up!
Sponsored