Sponsored

Running & Cross-Training Shoes

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
What do you runners use for running shoes? I'm getting back into morning runs and evening lifts after a bit of a, shall we say, cookie-infused hiatus. Current running shoes were basic and ready to be tossed. 2-5 mile runs.

- What do you like for traditional "street" running shoes?
- What do you like for trail/cross-country running shoes?

^ I like to have one for each so I can have a clean-ish and dirty set, effectively.

Also, once I regain a little endurance I'm going to get my ass into a crossfit or similar program because weight lifting without bros is kind of boring as hell. I'm gettin' it in but I really have to drag myself through the motions. I know I like to wear flatter, less bouncy shoes compared to running shoes in the gym, so cross-training shoes (aka, these days... cross fit shoes).

- What do you like for cross-trainers / cross-fit shoes?

Thanks for the recommendations! Kind of like buying tires...
Sponsored

KV Racing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium PP
I have really wide feet (I wear a 13 EEEE) so I am pretty much limited to whatever fits.
For running I generally wear whatever New Balances I can find, and my current shoes are M560V6 (I really like the wide toe box in them.) I've been wearing a Nike crosstrainer to crossfit and it seems to work ok, but I am sure a real crossfit shoe would be better. I tried on a pair of New Balance Minimus crossfit shoes, but they were too narrow, and the next size up was way too long. Man those things were light too, and I am sure they would have made a difference with the weight lifting we do.

I will say this about crossfit, we do just enough running that I get my fill of it, but I really enjoy the atmosphere and environment of being there.

And if you are thinking about joining crossfit, just do it. They will increase your stamina. And like one coach told me "it never gets an easier, you just get faster."

Last edited:

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
Be careful with internet recommendations only because to a large degree the type of shoe you should go for depends largely on your foot type. Do your feet pronate, supinate, is your foot type neutral? This will determine what type of running shoe you need (there are a multitude of different options) and it can be the difference between tears and glory!

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
Get thee to a running footwear specialty store and have someone evaluate your feet, form when running, and what feels good. Models and brands vary so much what works for one person might not work for you. I agree with spiller's post above.

Sponsored

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
Agree with others, try to go to a Fit to Run store or somewhere that monitors how you run and how your feet react when hitting the ground. I had inserts in my last shoes that worked great.

SR56

Threads
Reaction score
Website
seanrooney.realtor
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Every time I find a model of running shoe that's perfect it gets discontinued. The Asics GT-2160/2170 were great shoes. I went to a Brooks Beast since I'm a larger guy at 6'3" and 250, but they're a heavier shoe. I'll be trying out a running store that tells you what you need soon. No idea is I overpronate or whatever else there is. I just know my feet kill me in the ball and heels from long periods of standing or walking.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
What do you runners use for running shoes? I'm getting back into morning runs and evening lifts after a bit of a, shall we say, cookie-infused hiatus. Current running shoes were basic and ready to be tossed. 2-5 mile runs.

- What do you like for traditional "street" running shoes?
- What do you like for trail/cross-country running shoes?
Running store. All depends on your foot and your running movement, shoe that someone likes may be horrible choice for you. There are also differences between how brands / models within same category fit to your foot.

If you're even slightly serious about your running - do it. Takes 5 minutes and makes complete sense. I also bought shoes at the store that I went for fitting, after that either Amazon or roadrunnersports.com. Being relatively heavy runner, I go through number of pairs during a season and have three pairs at each time (since I run every other day, between gym days) so they have chance to dry out and decompress.

OP
OP

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I know already from having gone to a running store many times and buying shoes from them (that I almost always disliked) that I mildly overpronate, oddly enough much less so when I run (this comes from running form being drilled into me in high school). I don't know what it is but the running stores I've been to always seem to point me towards shoes that weigh 900 lbs. and cost a zillion dollars and running feels like a chore.

Prior to my original post, I had been using an old pair of Asics Gel Noosa Tri 9's for running. I'm not sure exactly why I bought them when I did, but I think it was just to have a set of running-like shoes to wear walking the dog, etc., and they have some arch support while still being very light and breathable.

I decided to try out some Asics GT 1000-4 shoes. My gym has a treadmill that doesn't seem to have any flex in it worth mentioning, so it gives you a good ideal of what it'd be like to run on the street with these shoes. Did the treadmill to keep them clean. Long story short, I'll be returning these because I think I got a half-size too big and I was not happy with the padding at the heal. But I'll be exchanging for a pair of Asics Kayano 23s, which are their top-of-the-line "support" running shoes, apparently. I found a pair in a color combo I like for $88 and I paid $79 for the GT 1000s, which were their "entry-level" offering. The GT 1000s felt almost exactly like my old Tri 9s but very slightly heavier. I was hoping for something just a couple smidgens more soft at the heal, but not ridiculously so. I'm hoping the Kayano's fit the bill, otherwise I also have some Brooks Glycerin 14s coming (they were on SlickDeals so I said "let's try them"). The Brooks are a neutral support shoe which I want to try as I literally never have bought a straight up neutral support running shoe. Plus these are apparently like running on clouds and I keep hearing from other runners to consider a neutral shoe with an insert vs. a support shoe if I want to start work on fixing any overpronation I have.

For "cross fit" shoes, I came across a clearance sale on some Reebok CrossFit Nano 7 for $60 and they have mostly positive reviews, albeit suffering from a longer break-in period on account of them being apparently kind of stiff compared to earlier versions. In the gym, I'm actually all for a stiffer shoe. These have free returns, if needed, too.

gearhead2685

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang
Ive been in the military since I was 17. I just turned 32. I usually buy shoes every 6 months. My knees and back thank me for it!

Asics or bust!!!

Go figure out what type of shoes you need and then find some that are proper for the arch of your feet.

I have gone thru 3 pairs of Gel Noosa Tri 11s

Pro Tip LOL I could care less what they look like some colors cost a lot more and don't make 1 bit of difference to me.

Sponsored

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
I suspect you are aware that when you change your shoes that you do that carefully by making a gradual transition in the distance you do in them. Regarding pronation or any sort of form change, making adjustments are usually warranted if there are issues that result in pain or injury. If you that for efficiency or speed reasons, the gradual transition helps immensely to avoid injury by overloading muscles and tendons that aren't used to the stress.

Good luck!

SR56

Threads
Reaction score
Website
seanrooney.realtor
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Went to the Track Shack here in Orlando. It's been here since the 70's and is known as the go-to for the running crowd. They looked at my old shoes then had me walk around to determine my gait. They asked a couple questions about pain or anything unusual.

The girl that helped me determined my stride is natural and not over-pronating. Since I've been in Brooks Beasts for the past few years, she recommendeded I try something different.

She brought me out a Brooks (can't remember the model-maybe the Dyad?) and Asics Gel Fortitude 7. The Asics were cushy and supportive and had a wider foot bed and toe. They felt great, and much lighter than the Beast. The Brooks were very supportive but not as cushy and the toe and bed were narrower. It also had a stiff "shank" built in that was very noticeable. It reminded me of a fresh set of jungle boots with the feel on the bottom of the foot. I'm sure it would break in but that extra stiffness was always going to be there.

I took home the Asics and look forward to trying them out on the treadmill. They felt pretty good just walking around today. I'd recommend trying them out.

KV Racing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium PP
For "cross fit" shoes, I came across a clearance sale on some Reebok CrossFit Nano 7 for $60 and they have mostly positive reviews, albeit suffering from a longer break-in period on account of them being apparently kind of stiff compared to earlier versions. In the gym, I'm actually all for a stiffer shoe. These have free returns, if needed, too.

My better half wear's Nanos of some version, and really loves them. They're too narrow for my wide foot.

All you guys able to wear those fancy running shoes are lucky. I've always pretty much had to buy what I could find that fit. Being 6' tall and still weighing 225, I'm not a lightweight by any means so I'm sure it's still pretty rough on my knees and ankles when I run (using that term loosely as I am not very fast at all.)
Sponsored