Sponsored

Looking for a 2018 R at MSRP- know a dealer?

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I've been on this forum a good while, and I love this car.. and want to order an R. I'm not a speculator or looking to make cash on an R, want one because I love this model and think the R would be amazing.

If anyone knows a genuine lead on where I can get one from a dealer at MSRP, please let me know. I know a lot of people on here want one, some genuine, some just so they can flip it (speculators), so this is a tough request. I've seen so many speculators already with the R that it's ridiculous... people that would never own a Mustang or this car but bought only because they could make $ on it.

The only way I see doing this is by sending me a Private message with the contact info for the dealer.. so, if you have a good solid lead and are willing to pass it on, please do!

I could offer a finders fee, due when I take delivery of the car, if that helps since this would be a favor.

I could continue to call around, I just don't have the time and it seems like most dealers are out of touch, for the most part.

Lets see if this will help me land an R!!

:ford:
Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
A dealer I know of is still at $10k for an 18. Might be able to talk them down to $5k but not sure.

Edward

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Lightning
I've been lurking on this forum for what feels like years. I finally joined last night. Like you, I've been looking for an R. $10k seems to be where most of the R market is at today. Personally, I'm at $5k over. Like you, I'm not looking to flip the car; but you have to know that we're competing against people who are. I'm convinced that's what's keeping the prices high. Good luck.

OP
OP
96cobra

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I'd buy one in hand, new at a dealer, right this minute at $10K over if the color combo and options were what I wanted, but 12-15 months from now who knows if $10K will be the market price? You can argue one way or another, but no one truly knows. I have a friend that just bought his car (regular GT350) at $2K under sticker... who thought that would happen 6 months ago? :)

With looking to buy an R, I've come to realize that most of the guys that have them for sale were just car speculators. They really didn't have a passion for the car, but for what they could make off of it.

Not saying there's anything wrong with that, it is what it is, and it's like that in a lot of hobbies.

I personally think the prices of R's will settle somewhat, with the ZL1 / ZL1-1LE and GT500 coming, there's plenty or will be plenty of "Special" cars out there. I'm convinced that the GT500 is going to be better than the GT350, as it should be. I've also owned so many cars that I thought were extremely special at the time and "couldn't be out done", and every single one of them as. Like the old ZR1's, Cobra's, GT500's, etc. Just my opinion, of course.

But the the GT350 is my passion right now, and the R would be awesome, so gonna try it.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
I'd buy one in hand, new at a dealer, right this minute at $10K over if the color combo and options were what I wanted, but 12-15 months from now who knows if $10K will be the market price? You can argue one way or another, but no one truly knows. I have a friend that just bought his car (regular GT350) at $2K under sticker... who thought that would happen 6 months ago? :)

With looking to buy an R, I've come to realize that most of the guys that have them for sale were just car speculators. They really didn't have a passion for the car, but for what they could make off of it.

Not saying there's anything wrong with that, it is what it is, and it's like that in a lot of hobbies.

I personally think the prices of R's will settle somewhat, with the ZL1 / ZL1-1LE and GT500 coming, there's plenty or will be plenty of "Special" cars out there. I'm convinced that the GT500 is going to be better than the GT350, as it should be. I've also owned so many cars that I thought were extremely special at the time and "couldn't be out done", and every single one of them as. Like the old ZR1's, Cobra's, GT500's, etc. Just my opinion, of course.

But the the GT350 is my passion right now, and the R would be awesome, so gonna try it.
Yea, in the history of American motoring, no one has done a FPC motor, and That is what makes this car special. Seems like thats not a real hitting point with you since you just compared this special car with all the other special cars. Which means youll most likely get rid of the R for the next special car.

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I've also owned so many cars that I thought were extremely special at the time and "couldn't be out done", and every single one of them as. Like the old ZR1's, Cobra's, GT500's, etc. Just my opinion, of course.
That's a good point. I'm sure everyone thought those cars were so very special...and they were but not any more than the next best thing. That said, I still feel like the current GT350 and R really stepped it up as a drivers car and the proof is the crossover buyers out there that love them. Perhaps an instant cult classic and that will be even more concrete if they stop making FPC motors or even GT350s/Shelbys in 2019.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Ford stock is in the shitter and they are cutting back their workforce. They believe "tweet-worthy" autonomous vehicles are the future.

And there are people waiting out there to buy a Mustang but don't because they aren't interested in having their colon enlarged by the dealer network.

Time for a new strategy Ford. Get off your ass.

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
I never thought I would sell my Boss 302. Then ford invited me to the track tour in 2015. Whatever the next top dog mustang is going to be, it will have to be really really awesome, because the GT350 has set the bar quite high. Ford Performance has really produced some incredible products lately, and I expect it to continue. There is no end all/be all mustang, otherwise Ford would be out of business.

OP
OP
96cobra

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Yea, in the history of American motoring, no one has done a FPC motor, and That is what makes this car special. Seems like thats not a real hitting point with you since you just compared this special car with all the other special cars. Which means youll most likely get rid of the R for the next special car.
Huh? You do realize I own a GT350, and have owned 7 mustangs, right? :lol:

Hate to break it to you, but the FPC is not the only special thing about the R! I love the package, even over many other options out there. If the GT500 handles better than the GT350 and has 700HP at a competitive price, you can bet your wallet people are going to be swayed that way even with the FPC in the 350. If the GT500 is $80K, that $80K R is going to suffer.

Look at the past production #'s of R's also:

1993 R - 107 produced
1995 R - 250 produced
2000 R - 200 produced

2015-2018 R - 1500+ produced.

That's a lot of R's between 2015 and 2018 (and I'm glad there is since I want one).

Case in point- I am the original owner of a 1996 Cobra, and when it came out, it was the greatest! 32V, DOHC V8 with an amazing 305HP!! Hand built engine with a signature plaque! I thought nothing could ever beat that! At the time, it was an absolute breakthrough! I ordered it sight unseen long before they were available to the general public. Well, in just a few years the supercharged Cobras were all the craze, and the old 96-98 Cobra's, as special as they were when released, were old news. I still kept that car over 10 years and loved it even though there was better (much better).

That"R"girl

Should know better....
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Megan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalance R, 2016 Avalance Tech pack (sold)
Yes, I know a dealer. So do many others, since that dealer's list for people ready to buy an R is over a dozen people deep, and they get 2-3 allocations a year. The issue is that most dealers will see only one or two R's per model year. Because of that, they want to get as much as they can for it, and they only need to find one buyer to pay their price.

I waited 384 days to get my R after searching nearly 20 states for an allocation. I got lucky. You also need to realize that if only around 500 R's are made a year, you have to be willing to out bit everyone other than those 500. In my opinion, I would have gladly paid $5k-10k for a car on a lot, but since I had a handshake deal for MSRP, I did my best to be patient. Plus, I could drive my '16 GT350 around in the mean time. For me, it paid off. Everyone needs to decide the car's worth for themselves, but for me, the R is worth more than MSRP, and I got a deal.

Sponsored
OP
OP
96cobra

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Yes, I know a dealer. So do many others, since that dealer's list for people ready to buy an R is over a dozen people deep, and they get 2-3 allocations a year. The issue is that most dealers will see only one or two R's per model year. Because of that, they want to get as much as they can for it, and they only need to find one buyer to pay their price.

I waited 384 days to get my R after searching nearly 20 states for an allocation. I got lucky. You also need to realize that if only around 500 R's are made a year, you have to be willing to out bit everyone other than those 500. In my opinion, I would have gladly paid $5k-10k for a car on a lot, but since I had a handshake deal for MSRP, I did my best to be patient. Plus, I could drive my '16 GT350 around in the mean time. For me, it paid off. Everyone needs to decide the car's worth for themselves, but for me, the R is worth more than MSRP, and I got a deal.
Congrats!

So, just curious, if you HAD to sell your GT350R right now, would you "pay it forward" on the sale price? ;)

Edward

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Lightning
Everyone needs to decide the car's worth for themselves, but for me, the R is worth more than MSRP, and I got a deal.
This is the key right here. I can't blame any dealer for getting as much as they can for a vehicle. And I can't blame people for being willing to pay high ADM's. For me, once the ADM is greater than $5k, I find the car to be less appealing. If I can't get that deal, I'll either go lower with a non-R 350 or go higher with something else.

ttn27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350R

You definitely got a deal on an R at msrp. Most of us, including myself, who got the R at msrp usually have some kind of relationship with the dealership/owner. This car is definitely special and at ~1500 cars over 4 years run, this would classify it as a very low production car. It is all about supply and demand (just take a look at the ADM which is more than twice the msrp for some of the special cars in the other brands, such as the Porsche 911 R or the Ferrari F12 TDF). So a 5-10K ADM is not bad considering how special and rare this car is and that you get a lot of car for the money. Now take a look of the FGT, there were ~3900 cars produced over a 2 year run from 2005-2006, and look at where the price of these cars are now, granted that there was an 11 years hiatus until Ford came out with the new FGT. However, IMO the price of the older FGT would not go down even with the new FGT coming out and I think it will even go up.

That"R"girl

Should know better....
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Megan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalance R, 2016 Avalance Tech pack (sold)
Congrats!

So, just curious, if you HAD to sell your GT350R right now, would you "pay it forward" on the sale price? ;)
Only if I could charge for all the time I spent waiting for my allocation to get built... I nearly gave up a couple of times. Around February I had pretty much lost hope that the car was ever coming. I am NOT a patient person.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Huh? You do realize I own a GT350, and have owned 7 mustangs, right? :lol:

Hate to break it to you, but the FPC is not the only special thing about the R! I love the package, even over many other options out there. If the GT500 handles better than the GT350 and has 700HP at a competitive price, you can bet your wallet people are going to be swayed that way even with the FPC in the 350. If the GT500 is $80K, that $80K R is going to suffer.

Look at the past production #'s of R's also:

1993 R - 107 produced
1995 R - 250 produced
2000 R - 200 produced

2015-2018 R - 1500+ produced.

That's a lot of R's between 2015 and 2018 (and I'm glad there is since I want one).

Case in point- I am the original owner of a 1996 Cobra, and when it came out, it was the greatest! 32V, DOHC V8 with an amazing 305HP!! Hand built engine with a signature plaque! I thought nothing could ever beat that! At the time, it was an absolute breakthrough! I ordered it sight unseen long before they were available to the general public. Well, in just a few years the supercharged Cobras were all the craze, and the old 96-98 Cobra's, as special as they were when released, were old news. I still kept that car over 10 years and loved it even though there was better (much better).
Your overall point is well taken but the number of 2000 Cobra R's assembled was actually 300 and not 200.

With respect total R's produced to date the numbers are as follows:

2015 - 37
2016 - 526 (that number includes all ~25 pre production units)
2017 - 540 plus (Exec car HR002 on eBay right now - great color combo)
2018 - Who knows!!

If the new GT500 out handles the GT350R I will be very surprised but never say never.

Don't give up your search as 2017 R models are still being allocated to various dealerships as late as last week with the one that I was contacted on going for $5K over.

Good luck!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Sponsored