Sponsored

setting brakes on new vechile

v-man

Still Plays With Cars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt 350 LB Black stripe
guys been thru a lot of cars. My car is do in any moment. Will one of you guys explain how to break in the brakes and why it is important. On the engine row it thru the gears nice and easy through but not to the very top of the rpm range
Sponsored

OP
OP

v-man

Still Plays With Cars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt 350 LB Black stripe
interesting I don't know the pads materials do you have a recommendation what works best with our set up

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
Unless you are going to the track just use the stock pads until they are worn out. For track use I'm sure you will get several opinions on what to try here on the forum from the track faithful.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
The goal of bedding the brakes is to transfer a smooth, even, layer of pad material to the rotor.

To do that, you want to gradually heat the components, then typically do some firm "slows" (not stops) to transfer material, then let the brakes cool before you come to a complete stop.

So, you would typically do several "slows" from a speed around 60 MPH (maybe 60-20), to gradually build heat, then a couple more firm slows to transfer material, then drive for a while to cool things down before stopping.

For street driving it's pretty pointless because the cold stops that occur during street driving will pretty quickly wear off the burnish created during the bedding process. At least that's what I find. I will need to re-bed the brakes before a track-day because the pad material has been worn-off since the previous track-day.

-T

OP
OP

v-man

Still Plays With Cars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt 350 LB Black stripe
The goal of bedding the brakes is to transfer a smooth, even, layer of pad material to the rotor.

To do that, you want to gradually heat the components, then typically do some firm "slows" (not stops) to transfer material, then let the brakes cool before you come to a complete stop.

So, you would typically do several "slows" from a speed around 60 MPH (maybe 60-20), to gradually build heat, then a couple more firm slows to transfer material, then drive for a while to cool things down before stopping.

For street driving it's pretty pointless because the cold stops that occur during street driving will pretty quickly wear off the burnish created during the bedding process. At least that's what I find. I will need to re-bed the brakes before a track-day because the pad material has been worn-off since the previous track-day.

-T
got it thanks
Sponsored