Not open for further replies.

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
I'm counting on the lawyers to do what they do, and sue right out of business
this autonomous disaster coming.
It would be in a lawyer's interest to stop the technology, as it would cut injuries from accidents by a huge amount.

It would also eliminate a large percentage of the police force, as the need for traffic cops would drop significantly.
Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
This here I agree with. Maybe even less cubes and make an ultra high rpm V8, and then incorporate electric motors to fill it with power down low.
People are bitching about the current prices. Adding what you suggest would elevate the costs well above what the average Joe can afford.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Topnotch

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
Tesla 3 has 450K orders...it is a boring design...kind of a squished S design...that is getting old looking...
Mustang as a brand for over fifty years has adapted to the times...
PHEV's and EV's will sooner than later be what will be on the roads.
Unless you want Mustangs with their V-8's to be relegated for track/off road use they need to become relevant in the EV world.
Design will be the key factor... material use...fun to drive...etc.
Mustang can do this going forward. Starting with a torque crazy Hybrid with a Ecoboost 4 and Electric front axles for amazing numbers. After that in the late 2020's it will have to go full electric.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
The mustang size is perfect as it is. If I wanted a compact car, I'd buy a focus RS. Those that don't understand that should buy a used Ford Probe.
Focus RS is too small.
If you look at the original Mustang, it's rather compact.

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
Tesla 3 has 450K orders...it is a boring design...kind of a squished S design...that is getting old looking...
Mustang as a brand for over fifty years has adapted to the times...
PHEV's and EV's will sooner than later be what will be on the roads.
Unless you want Mustangs with their V-8's to be relegated for track/off road use they need to become relevant in the EV world.
Design will be the key factor... material use...fun to drive...etc.
Mustang can do this going forward. Starting with a torque crazy Hybrid with a Ecoboost 4 and Electric front axles for amazing numbers. After that in the late 2020's it will have to go full electric.
The scenario mentioned above by Topnotch is not particularly to my liking, but this is the reality of the near future.
Other manufacturers will have to get on board and adapt to this "new world order" or free fall into irrelevance and failure.

As I've mentioned before...
If you want a 5.0-5.2L Mustang...buy it soon!
What and where are S550 generation's Special Edition or "Halo" Mustangs?
IMO...a 7.0L Mustang, as awesome as that sounds...is fantasy.

IMO...a 3.5-3.7L Ecoboost V6 / 4.0-4.5L Ecoboost V8 will power the S650 generation Mustang GT and "Halo"/SE ultra high-performance model.
The S650 has to be smaller and lighter than the S550.
Where will the new hybrid fit into the lineup?
Will it immediately assume the position/title of the maximum performance Mustang?

I believe Ford already has their vision for the future Mustang in motion...we will just have to wait and see how it all plays out.

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Focus RS is too small.
The original mustang would score a God awful crash rating by today's standards. It didn't have to carry aribags, the abundant electronics or additional structure that today's cars are required. It wasn't demanded to have the structural rigidity that today's pony cars have.

Think of it this way. The 1964 had nearly the same curb weight as the current Mazda Miata. Let that sink in for a second. Hell, the current Miata is WIDER both in overall and track width.

And for the record, the RS is only shorter in overall length. The wheelbase, track width, interior space etc. are all on par to the WRX.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
Where will the new hybrid fit into the lineup
Imo it will be either the entry model or one notch above the entry model, if they decide to keep the non-hybrid 4banger as well. I highly doubt we will ever see a V6 Mustang again.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
People are bitching about the current prices. Adding what you suggest would elevate the costs well above what the average Joe and afford.
Would a hybrid car of comparable performance really cost enough less to matter?

With that "comparable performance" still being available at least as far out as the end of a 25-minute track-day session.

Norm

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
IMO...a 3.5-3.7L Ecoboost V6 / 4.0-4.5L Ecoboost V8 will power the S650 generation Mustang GT and "Halo"/SE ultra high-performance model.
The S650 has to be smaller and lighter than the S550.
All I see are $$$$ thrown in front of the price. The S650 will already be more expensive due to inflation. A ecoboost V8 is going to add mega $$$ to the mix. When the base GT starts becoming the same price as a base corvette....you've got a problem.

As for the EB V6, I just can't see Ford alienating such a large percentage of its core buyers. People (like myself) do buy mustangs because they come with a V8. Once you start eliminating items that differentiate the mustang from other vehicles, you’re going to start losing customers.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Would a hybrid car of comparable performance really cost enough less to matter?

With that "comparable performance" still being available at least as far out as the end of a 25-minute track-day session.

Norm
I'm not totally sure what your question was.

My post was really pointing out that keeping a V8 and adding electric assist is going to cost some serious coin.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
After that in the late 2020's it will have to go full electric.
So where is the huge increase in base electric power generation that will be necessary to support all these EVs going to come from? Or the infrastructure to get it from where it is generated to where it's going to be used? Aren't some sections of the country at risk of brownouts/rolling blackouts as it is? Or do you shut your house A/C off on a 100° afternoon so you'll be able to charge your car up enough to get to work the next day?

Don't forget that some of the largest generating stations, being nuclear, will be dropping out of service as even any extensions past their nominal 40-year life expire, and that will need to be replaced just to keep from losing ground.

Wanting it (EVs) to happen won't make the above go away.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I'm not totally sure what your question was.

My post was really pointing out that keeping a V8 and adding electric assist is going to cost some serious coin.
Hybrid technology isn't inexpensive either, especially after you factor in the subsidies and incentives that would cease to exist in an EV- & Hybrid-only world. Neither electricity-based solution will provide full vehicle performance all the way out to the point where the onboard "fuel" storage capacity is fully depleted.

Norm

Last edited:

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Hybrid technology isn't inexpensive either, especially after you factor in the subsidies and incentives that would cease to exist in an EV & Hybrid world. Neither electricity-based solution will provide full vehicle performance all the way out to the point where the onboard "fuel" storage capacity is fully depleted.

Norm
Agreed.

Tesla is ready to surpass the production limit for federal subsidies.

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
People are bitching about the current prices. Adding what you suggest would elevate the costs well above what the average Joe can afford.
People are bitching over nothing. The Ecoboost Mustang is on par with the performance of a 2012 GT and for less money.

We need to realise as the combustion engine is always improving it means it's going to have less cubes, which means less cylinders.

Or would people prefer Ford kept the old Windsor 5.0 and charged you $29,990 for it?

An hybrid V8 would most likely be an SE anyway; way too fast for less than $50k.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Focus RS is too small.
The original Mustang had a 108" wheelbase. It looks smaller more because the styling is not intentionally 'muscular' or bulky. IOW, it's as much an optical effect as it is from the actual differences in width and height.

The popular Fox-body Mustang was on a 101" wheelbase platform.

The S197 has a 107.1" wheelbase.

The Focus sits on a 104.3" wheelbase, pretty much in the middle of the various Mustang wheelbases.

I don't see any deal-breaker level of difference if any future Mustang was to end up on a 104" - 105" wheelbase as long as it was readily identifiable as a Mustang and not some special edition of Focus with a couple of Mustang styling cues tacked on.

Norm
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.