1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
JDM engineering, I haven’t seen that name since the terminator days. What made you guys come back and support the 2018+?
Sponsored

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
How big of a variance do you believe there is in production engines? A blue printed motor might make 20 more hp more then its off the shelf brother. I'm curious to how often you think perfectly matched engine parts find their way into the same engine on a random production line?
So to be fair, all production engines are blue printed, meaning they follow an exact build spec.

So even the voodoo being hand built is “blueprinted”, however when they’re being built the only factor that may change is the bearing gap. Ford has a spec of tolerance (as does every manufacturer) that the clearances fall into. I’m speculating, but if they’re all hand built and the builder ran out of a bearing colour (in the Honda world they’re colour coordinated for clearance gap) the technician may use a tighter or looser bearing.

Tighter is better for power, usually.

Back to the coyote, they’re all blueprinted. This term confuses a lot of people.

Balancing an engine is cool though, and production line engines generally are not perfect.

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
They're talking about this thread on Camaro 6 and some of these underrated 500hp claims. Let's not make ourselves look too ridiculous..lol
They have no room to talk.
As for the Coyote, 460hp is the low side of the average. Open headers, 100 octane and a maxed out tune would be well north of 500hp on a engine dyno.
The LT1 hit 535hp set up just like this.
1st gen Coyote made 465hp.
Boss 302 was around 515hp.
No word on the 5.2 Voodoo yet.........
All of this info is from the same dyno by the way.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
It's 1% of the goal power for that engine. They test random engines off the line, and they all have to make X power +/- 1%. Advertising the number at the bottom of that 1% variance IS under rating as you can make almost 2% more if you get lucky.

Will there be a few that go over or under the 1%? Sure. The point though is to minimize that.
Please point me to where it says that. I'm not being a smart ass, seriously, because I couldn't find it. I read the abstract on the SAE site and it was pretty thin. I'm not going to pay for the full spec, but I somebody has it out there, or at least a better write-up. I suspect the +/- 1% has more to do with repeatability and total error budget than it does manufacturing tolerance.

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
Glad sto see where revving those dyno's into full race mode. I'll be sure the next time out I'll prep my spreadsheets and dyno graphs. Need to make sure my colour ink is in so I can use different colours on the launch of my sheets on my graph's.

Sigh...........all that actually matters in this story is that he trapped 119. RIght along with the other cars that have gone down the track. That shows the car is making close to if not over of the dyno numbers that are floating around.

Again when you run up against "insert car here" your dyno graph is not going to help you. Reminds me of a guy i ran before...after he got spanked, he was mad at his tuner and shop because the "dyno numbers" he put down said he would be just about any mustang out there...lol um...ok.

Sponsored

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
Please point me to where it says that. I'm not being a smart ass, seriously, because I couldn't find it. I read the abstract on the SAE site and it was pretty thin. I'm not going to pay for the full spec, but I somebody has it out there, or at least a better write-up. I suspect the +/- 1% has more to do with repeatability and total error budget than it does manufacturing tolerance.
https://www.caranddriver.com/columns/larry-webster-horsepower-confusion-and-resolution-column

Sometimes a bunch of components are at the outer edge of production tolerances, and the combination hurts the engine's output. Sometimes they help it. The 0.4-percent difference between the V-10's observed output and its rating lies well within the SAE's allowable tolerance band. In fact, Dodge could have rated the engine at 517 horsepower and still met the SAE's one-percent tolerance.
http://www.mie.uth.gr/ekp_yliko/SAE_ΔΥΝΑΜΟΜΕΤΡΗΣΗ_ΜΕΚ.pdf

The results are considered valid if the repeatability of at least three measurements is within 1% of the mean.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
So to be fair, all production engines are blue printed, meaning they follow an exact build spec.

So even the voodoo being hand built is “blueprinted”, however when they’re being built the only factor that may change is the bearing gap. Ford has a spec of tolerance (as does every manufacturer) that the clearances fall into. I’m speculating, but if they’re all hand built and the builder ran out of a bearing colour (in the Honda world they’re colour coordinated for clearance gap) the technician may use a tighter or looser bearing.

Tighter is better for power, usually.

Back to the coyote, they’re all blueprinted. This term confuses a lot of people.

Balancing an engine is cool though, and production line engines generally are not perfect.
It's not that simple. I'm including a link for everyone that doesn't understand what a true balanced and blue printed engine is. But you will never receive a balanced/blueprinted engine from the factory unless it is stated by the manufacture. Think high end exotics.

http://www.enginebasics.com/Advanced%20Engine%20Tuning/Blueprinting.html

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Glad sto see where revving those dyno's into full race mode. I'll be sure the next time out I'll prep my spreadsheets and dyno graphs. Need to make sure my colour ink is in so I can use different colours on the launch of my sheets on my graph's.

Sigh...........all that actually matters in this story is that he trapped 119. RIght along with the other cars that have gone down the track. That shows the car is making close to if not over of the dyno numbers that are floating around.

Again when you run up against "insert car here" your dyno graph is not going to help you. Reminds me of a guy i ran before...after he got spanked, he was mad at his tuner and shop because the "dyno numbers" he put down said he would be just about any mustang out there...lol um...ok.
On a side note. The place that dynos my cars has a drag race simulator. You rev the car and launch it on a dyno. In my case. 5000rpm trans brake launch. And you run out a 1/4 miles worth of distance. The dyno at PONSE performance was surprising close on it's estimate. It said I would run 10.3@126. I went to the track that night and ran a 10.5@126. It's just something that's fun to do after a dyno session. I highly recommend it!:headbang:

Last edited:

drabon74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium 401a
BMW stock engines to this day make noticeably more power than they are rated.

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
BMW stock engines to this day make noticeably more power than they are rated.
I believe BMW rates for the EU measurement ratings, which is more like a 5% change and are not required to re-rate for the US. I think the same applies to MB and VW.

I'm looking for the link of where I found that mentioned recently. I'll EDIT if I find it.

Sponsored

bunk22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Auto
What this SAE corrected, STD corrected, etc? Always a way to show higher number. Hell, my tuner never uses a fan on the motors while the car is on the dyno.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
On a side note. The place that dynos my cars has a drag race simulator. You rev the car and launch it on a dyno. In my case. 5000rpm trans brake launch. And you run out a 1/4 miles worth of distance. The dyno at PONCE performance was surprising close on it's estimate. It said I would run 10.3@126. I went to the track that night and ran a 10.5@126. It's just something that's fun to do after a dyno session. I highly recommend it!:headbang:
Your other mustang or the 15?

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
My 95. My 15 has never been faster than 11.59.

Grim12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
On a side note. The place that dynos my cars has a drag race simulator. You rev the car and launch it on a dyno. In my case. 5000rpm trans brake launch. And you run out a 1/4 miles worth of distance. The dyno at PONCE performance was surprising close on it's estimate. It said I would run 10.3@126. I went to the track that night and ran a 10.5@126. It's just something that's fun to do after a dyno session. I highly recommend it!:headbang:

Is that Fonse performance, in NJ?
Sponsored