Sponsored

Auto + Open Track days

Commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I've gone through 2 open track days at my local track. Mine is an auto and this second time, i was tuned. I have two Lund tunes, one that has increased Line Pressure for hard shifts and one that is factory transmission tuned.

I ran the event with the increased line pressure tune as that was what I was running for daily driving. Something I didn't think about but experienced was that if I paddle shift from 2-3 (in sport mode) it hits pretty hard and if I'm not perfectly straight, the back end kicks out. Not something you want on a road course. There are just certain turns that when exiting I'd be at the top of 2nd and need to shift before being perfectly straight.

On my next event, I'm going to put the stock transmission tune in to see if that helps keep the rear planted.

Anyone with an auto have more experience with high speed events? Due to the above, I just left it in 3rd the entire track which killed my exit speed (was around 3-3500rpms) when coming out of a corner.

Side Note: I reset my accelerometer and hit 1.12g left turn and 1.09 right. 1.2g braking and .53 accelerating. The poor acceleration was due to being in 3rd the whole time.
Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
The poor acceleration was probably due to you having SMOOTH acceleration engagement vs. slamming and shocking. I have a manual but I have to be smooth as butter with a gear shift while applying power and turning same time otherwise things happen. Run it with the smoother shifting - quite frankly, without a DCT or a better single-clutch solution, the harder line pressure is really a novelty and more applicable to drag racing, IMHO.

OP
OP
Commbubba19

Commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
The poor acceleration was probably due to you having SMOOTH acceleration engagement vs. slamming and shocking. I have a manual but I have to be smooth as butter with a gear shift while applying power and turning same time otherwise things happen. Run it with the smoother shifting - quite frankly, without a DCT or a better single-clutch solution, the harder line pressure is really a novelty and more applicable to drag racing, IMHO.
I wouldn't even use that for drag racing. Blows the tires off and you can easily lose it. Not sure what the benefit is otherwise.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I wouldn't even use that for drag racing. Blows the tires off and you can easily lose it. Not sure what the benefit is otherwise.
Makes you feel like you're going faster.

If the gear change operation does not complete faster while maintaining smooth engagement, as is the case in vehicles that have dual clutch boxes or faster-acting single clutch units, there is little point.

The 6R80 is a good transmission. It's robust, can handle power, and does shift relatively quickly, even if performance driving situations. It is no VW/Audi box. It also will probably last three times as long as on of their transmissions...

GT350Brakes.com

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
GT350 TP
I just did some instruction yesterday and went through the same thing with my student.

He has an automatic atsv and would love to shift mid corner and then he'd freak out with the back end came out.

You should never shift mid corner if you can help it since it unloads the car and the above happens. I recommend two things.

You can either wait till you straighten out and shift like you said above or you can change your line. Perhaps hitting the corner at a late apex will help you be straighter coming out of the corner.

Sponsored

saf1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack
I just did some instruction yesterday and went through the same thing with my student.

He has an automatic atsv and would love to shift mid corner and then he'd freak out with the back end came out.

You should never shift mid corner if you can help it since it unloads the car and the above happens. I recommend two things.

You can either wait till you straighten out and shift like you said above or you can change your line. Perhaps hitting the corner at a late apex will help you be straighter coming out of the corner.
Not to hijack the thread but I noticed you are Northern California - mind if I ask where about? Or send a PM, that is fine. You mentioned yesterday so I'm assuming (probably incorrectly) that there was an event or something. I know NASCAR was in Napa so wasn't sure what else is going on.

Just looking what is around my area (Rancho Cordova) with regards to shops and upcoming events to maybe partake in (beginner level of course).

GT350Brakes.com

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
GT350 TP
Not to hijack the thread but I noticed you are Northern California - mind if I ask where about? Or send a PM, that is fine. You mentioned yesterday so I'm assuming (probably incorrectly) that there was an event or something. I know NASCAR was in Napa so wasn't sure what else is going on.

Just looking what is around my area (Rancho Cordova) with regards to shops and upcoming events to maybe partake in (beginner level of course).
I'm in the San Mateo area near SF.

I race at Laguna, Thunderhill and Buttonwillow. Pm me if you wish to join or watch.

I'm going to Buttonwillow July 23rd next.
Sponsored