Sponsored

New Winter/Wheel Package

articrandom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang
Recently got my Mustang and it came with he 20in wheels with the summer tires (265/35/r20)

Sadly, in MN, those are a no go for the winter and I already had my struggles driving first thing in the morning and the car tires spinning and drifting at corners so I am in the market for new tires and possibly, wheels.

I have been trying to do some research on what to get and I am still confused. My Mustang is the Ecoboost with the premium package but no performance package as far as I know. So I believe any kind of wheel from 17in to 19in would work if I were to switch wheels too as the 20s may not be the best plus I don't want to damage them if something bad was to happen.

The reason why I am considering wheels is not only that 20s are not the best wheel size for the winter but also tires are SO expensive and don't have as many options (at least in Tire Rack). For $300 more I was able to find great winter wheels and tires in the 18in size.

So my questions are, should I go ahead and get a smaller wheel size with winter tires? Or just keep the 20s and get winter tires on them? I am still so lost on what wheels would work on my Mustang too... The 20is are a 20" x 9" and I found a few options on Craigslist, would any of these work on mine?

Option 1
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/wto/d/oem-mustang-gt-tires-and-rims/6340793163.html
Option 2
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/wto/d/20-rims-tires-for-ford-mustang/6364913887.html
Option 3
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/wto/d/4-mint-blizzak-tires-and-rims/6330509168.html
Option 4
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/wto/d/mustang-tire-set-winter-with/6378313821.html

Thanks!
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Definitely pick up a separate set of wheels for winter tires. In the long run, you'll end up saving money even considering the purchase price of those. It costs roughly $120-130 to swap tires on 4 wheels, and you do that twice a year. So you end up spending some $250 each year to switch tires.

After a couple years, you end up spending more money (and hassle) than if you had just bought a separate set to begin with.

If you can find a cheap set of PP takeoffs, I personally would do that as I like the look of the wheel.

Otherwise, get yourself some replica wheels...you can get a whole set for a couple hundred bux:

https://www.oewheelsllc.com/make/Ford/wheeldiameter/19~inch

https://www.oewheelsllc.com/make/Ford/wheeldiameter/18~inch

OP
OP

articrandom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang
Yeah, I think I will just go ahead and grab a new set of wheels with winter tires and call it good.
It just makes more sense and that way the 20in wheels won't get any exposure to the wonderful MN winter.

Do any of those wheels that I posted on my original post fit? They are local and cheap! I am also trying to figure out which wheel size to get. I know I am getting an 18in, but do I need 18x9 or 18x10(I believe this size only fits in the rear?)? Also do I need spacers or an specific bolt pattern?
Any resources where I can find the specific specifications of wheels that will work for my 15 Mustang Ecoboost?

Last question I guess would be about tire size, once I get a wheel, would I be able to fit any tire size as long as it is xxx/xx/18r? or is there a minimum? Do the tire sizes change if I get a 18x9 wheel than if I get a 18x10?

Sorry about my ignorance...

OP
OP

articrandom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang
Just found these from a PP package GT. They already come with Winter tires. Would these work on my 15 Premium Ecoboost? I suspect they do work but just double checking before I go ahead and pay for them.
2017-11-16 12_39_23-Microsoft Store.png

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
They should fit just fine, just make sure you put them at the right spots though. In case you didn't know, the fronts are thinner than the rears for the PP.

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
Just bear in mind 19" and up snow tires are ridiculously expensive because they tend to fall into the "performance snow" territory and not cross over to other vehicles like SUV's and light trucks. You can get the same tire in an 18" size for half the price.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Just bear in mind 19" and up snow tires are ridiculously expensive because they tend to fall into the "performance snow" territory and not cross over to other vehicles like SUV's and light trucks. You can get the same tire in an 18" size for half the price.
This.

I'd find some takeoff 18" wheels and go from there. Since you've got an EB you don't have the monster GTPP front brakes to clear.

OP
OP

articrandom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang
This.

I'd find some takeoff 18" wheels and go from there. Since you've got an EB you don't have the monster GTPP front brakes to clear.
Would any 18in wheel work from a 15+ Mustang? Otherwise I could go with those 19in with winter tires on them for $850 shipped.

Sponsored

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Depends on what you buy. I have Yokohama Iceguard in 255/40-19. 255/40-19 $178 each, 235/50-18 are $159 each at Tirerack. These are studless ice and snow tires with a T speed rating, certainly not a high performance winter tire. Yokohama has a performance winter tire and they are about $20 each more but you give up snow and ice performance for better cold weather dry traction.
Sponsored