Sponsored

Getting new tires fiasco

Ravnoss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium PP
Ever since I bought my Mustang GT PP earlier last year, I've been pretty anal about making sure it is being kept well. So after having driven almost 4.000 Miles, the rims didn't have a single speck on them.

However since I am about to embark on a 3 month road trip throughout the entire US, I decided to have the stock tires switched up for some All Seasons. Not too complex a job one would say....

Earlier today I went to the service department of a local dealership to have this done, and although it took them the whole day, I was able to pick up my car with fresh tires at 5:00PM. So far so good. However after a couple of a couple 100ft of driving I started to notice a, for a lack of a better word,"Clonking"-sound whenever I make a left turn. The sound always comes from the front left wheel. The clonking sound also seems to arise when driving at relative slow speeds (5-10MPH).

Me being Naive as I am, assumed it was just the the "tire settling in". But since it hasn't disappeared in the 50 Miles I drove with it, I am starting to think it is a different issue. I am hoping it just as simple as a not properly fastened lug nut. Anyone have an idea if that indeed could be the case? Or are the symptoms not consistent with that?

To make matters even worse, upon arriving home I noticed that they managed to damage both my front rims in the few hours I left my car with them. I attached a picture to show the damage, and was wondering of this is the time of damage that people see more often when tires are being changed? I am going to assume this has happened to other people on this forum as well and am very interested to know how dealers solve these type of damages (if at all.....).

Sponsored

cechk01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
Just get nail polish most shops will screw them up

LG23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT
Ever since I bought my Mustang GT PP earlier last year, I've been pretty anal about making sure it is being kept well. So after having driven almost 4.000 Miles, the rims didn't have a single speck on them.

However since I am about to embark on a 3 month road trip throughout the entire US, I decided to have the stock tires switched up for some All Seasons. Not too complex a job one would say....

Earlier today I went to the service department of a local dealership to have this done, and although it took them the whole day, I was able to pick up my car with fresh tires at 5:00PM. So far so good. However after a couple of a couple 100ft of driving I started to notice a, for a lack of a better word,"Clonking"-sound whenever I make a left turn. The sound always comes from the front left wheel. The clonking sound also seems to arise when driving at relative slow speeds (5-10MPH).

Me being Naive as I am, assumed it was just the the "tire settling in". But since it hasn't disappeared in the 50 Miles I drove with it, I am starting to think it is a different issue. I am hoping it just as simple as a not properly fastened lug nut. Anyone have an idea if that indeed could be the case? Or are the symptoms not consistent with that?

To make matters even worse, upon arriving home I noticed that they managed to damage both my front rims in the few hours I left my car with them. I attached a picture to show the damage, and was wondering of this is the time of damage that people see more often when tires are being changed? I am going to assume this has happened to other people on this forum as well and am very interested to know how dealers solve these type of damages (if at all.....).

You could try raising that side of the car, pressing the wheel against the hub and making the lugs all pretty tight with a wrench, lowering the car, then torquing them to 148 ft/lb and see if that resolves it.

If the dealership damaged my wheels like that I would definitely be calling them immediately. That isn't even like a speck or a little scrape. How dumb can they be to scrape it like that and put it on like nothing happened as if you won't notice. That kinda scratch would be loud so it's not like the dumbdumb tech didn't realize he did it either.

Last edited:

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
I'd not be happy about that damage, but as to the noise I don't have any advise.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
Dude u need to go right back and make them replace your damaged wheels,dont wait or they will deny they did it.Clunk is wheels not properly torqued most likley,or the way that wheel looks who knows might have cracked it.

Sponsored

tyshenry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT w/ PP

You have already waited too long. I would have turned right back around and gone up there. That amount of damage to the rim is completely unacceptable (any amount is really).

ConqSoft

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT Premium Vert, '16 428xi M Sport Vert
I complained to the service manager when this happened to mine (much less damage than you have) and they paid to have a local wheel restoration company repair the scratches they put on. Yours looks like curb damage to me. Maybe when they parked it?

Mr981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost coupe
What I have done in the past:
Take a picture of each wheel with your phone either right before you leave for the dealership or the night before. Before leaving the dealership inspect each wheel and if there is a problem, have it out with the SM right there before you leave.
if you don't raise the issue before you leave the dealership, they'll say it happened after the service was done.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely check the lug nuts. Repeated clunking while moving straight can definitely be lugs.

As for the wheel damage, unless you have photos before dropping it off its going to be difficult to prove thats not pre-existing road rash. Nail polish or black enamel model airplane paint FTW.

highvoltage

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brock
Vehicle(s)
18 Audi A3, 21 F150
Why would you not look the vehicle over before leaving the dealership? Always always do this!

Sponsored

maddawg57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp Orange Premium PP GT
Unless you have a great Service Manager I'm going to say you are a little to late reporting it . They are going to say you curbed it . Hope it works out for you, sucks for sure.

OP
OP

Ravnoss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks all for the replies. Appreciated. I am all on board the "Next time make sure you you check and document everything beforehand; and make sure it is still the same when you pick it up". It's probably just going to be a tough lesson. In terms of reporting it to the service manager however; I picked up the car, had a 1.5 hour drive home and the guys at my parking noticed the damage right away. I immediately took pictures and emailed the dealership. So all in all there were 2 hours between me picking it up and me letting them know. Still enough time to wreck them myself theoretically, but at least it's not as bad as coming to them days later.

In all honesty I am more worried about the clunking sound than the rims. My biggest fear is that the damage to the rims comes from them hitting a curb a little too enthusiastic and as a result damaging something in my suspension that is now leading to the clunking sound.

Nonetheless before I drive the car again, I am going to wait for my Torque Wrench to come in the mail and give the lug nuts a try and hopefully that fixes it.

Mr981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost coupe
Thanks all for the replies. Appreciated. I am all on board the "Next time make sure you you check and document everything beforehand; and make sure it is still the same when you pick it up". It's probably just going to be a tough lesson. In terms of reporting it to the service manager however; I picked up the car, had a 1.5 hour drive home and the guys at my parking noticed the damage right away. I immediately took pictures and emailed the dealership. So all in all there were 2 hours between me picking it up and me letting them know. Still enough time to wreck them myself theoretically, but at least it's not as bad as coming to them days later.

In all honesty I am more worried about the clunking sound than the rims. My biggest fear is that the damage to the rims comes from them hitting a curb a little too enthusiastic and as a result damaging something in my suspension that is now leading to the clunking sound.

Nonetheless before I drive the car again, I am going to wait for my Torque Wrench to come in the mail and give the lug nuts a try and hopefully that fixes it.
If the dealer screwed up the wheels to this point, you really don't want to use them again.
Contact some local clubs and see who they use-- either Ford dealers or Indy; look at the reviews of each dealer SD on the web to get an idea regarding how good or bad they might be.

OP
OP

Ravnoss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As some of you already expected; the dealership is taking 0 accountability on the damaged rims. Since this will turn into a their word against my word game, I will just take this as an expensive life lesson.

On the chunking sound, they expect a missing weight in the wheel. I am not convinced because in the past when I had wheel unbalance I noticed it most during high speeds. Not 5 MPH left turns... I still hope it's just a matter of tightening up the lug nuts. Not really wanting to drive out there again for them to work on the issue. Mostly because I don't trust them to admit to suspension damage, if that is what is causing the issue.

Synyster06Gates

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
I've seen someone complain about the clunking sound only to find that the tire shop put the rear wheels (9.5'') on front and due to the backspace it was hitting on another component. Since it only happens when you're turning, I think this may be your issue. Theirs was more of a rub, but it could just as well be tapping a suspension component

Your suspension isn't going to be damaged from that little amount of curb rash. If it were a worse impact, maybe, but as it looks it didn't do much of anything.

https://www.edmunds.com/ford/mustan...gt-source-of-mysterious-noise-identified.html
Sponsored