Sponsored

Rotor rust after wash

BustedKnuckle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP
As the title says my rotors immediately surface rust after a wash. I'm also washing the inside of the wheel (M350's). If I go for a drive right after washing it slings rusty water all over the inside of the wheels. I have been avoiding this by using a electric blower to dry the wheels/brakes before driving which prevents the sling. Even when dried the rotors turn gold with surface rust and dust the wheels on the first brake application. Anyone else experience this? We have a water softer so I'm wondering if that's the culprit.
Sponsored

GT Nate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT Premium
It happens to most all rotors.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
What kind of wheel cleaner do you use?
Do you have a power washer?

OP
OP

BustedKnuckle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP
I use car wash soap, Meguiars. No other chemicals. I have a power washer but do not use it on the car.

Sponsored

OP
OP

BustedKnuckle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP
Mainly just a nuisance. Im just wondering if the salt content caused by our water softner has a affect. Think I will put it in bypass mode next time I wash and see if that help.

Thanks all!

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Probably does. I know if I use a citrus or acidic wheel cleaner, it makes the rotors rust instantly. Salt in the water would likely have the same affect. Either case, meaningless.

klineka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
Is there a way to avoid it from happening? It looks terrible.

OP
OP

BustedKnuckle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP
l clean the rust off the rotor faces with CLR after they dry. The cars not a daily and sits a lot. Cant stand seeing those rusty rotors every time I walk by!

Sponsored

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I've seen car rotors get light surface rust from just sitting through one rain shower. Happens.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I use car wash soap, Meguiars. No other chemicals. I have a power washer but do not use it on the car.
I power wash my car. I guess it blows the brake dust out of the rotors so even when the rotor rust there is only a very thin layer?
Also, I wouldn't drive a car right after wash. Maybe wait a day or two till all the water is dried up.
Of course you can always use a leaf blower.

CB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, Black, PP
I like washing my car when it is raining. So going for a drive afterwards is defeating the purpose of a wash job. I blow dry the wheels with an electric blower. This car may sit in the garage for a week without moving. The brake pads will rust to the rotors. It takes a bit of force to break them loose. I placed a concrete pad for a wheel stop so I don't need to use the brakes when pulling into the garage. We'll see if that works.

SR56

Threads
Reaction score
Website
seanrooney.realtor
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Once finished with your wash, drive down the street and use the brakes. It'll be gone.

Suppose you can cover the rotor or clean your wheels off of the car, too.
This. You can also just go back and forth in the driveway a few feet and lightly tap/drag the brakes. This also helps to get the water out of those crevices.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Probably does. I know if I use a citrus or acidic wheel cleaner, it makes the rotors rust instantly. Salt in the water would likely have the same affect. Either case, meaningless.
Don't ever use an acid based cleaner. It will remove the nice zinc coating off the rotor hats/calipers and they will start to rust

The only cleaner you should ever put on your wheels is Sonax. Anything else is trash.
Sponsored