Sponsored

Tame my flowmasters

FirstGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver '18 GT 400a PP1
Car is a 2015 GT with manual transmission and i bought it used. Came with a resonator delete and a pair of Flowmaster Super 10s for the mufflers, which from what I understand from talking with flowmaster and looking at their website is their loudest muffler and most prone to drone.

I don't mind the exhaust tone or volume, but the drone at 65 mph/1800ish RPM is a bit much for my liking. I've started downshifting when forced to drive that speed due to traffic being slow but try my best to stay at 70 mph.

Seems my options are replace the mufflers with different flowmasters, though all the ones they recommended are listed on their site as having lots of drone, replace with axle back kit or perhaps install the resonator bullets (i think that's what they're called???)

kit i was looking at mainly is the roush axle back based on the thread a few below and the sound clips posted. Perhaps the magna flow axle back as I think I found the race series for a decent price but that race series seems like it might put me right back in the same boat i'm in now?

From the thread below the Roush supposedly has no drone and still sounds damn good. Though listening to exhaust on youtube is not an exact science. haha
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Car is a 2015 GT with manual transmission and i bought it used. Came with a resonator delete and a pair of Flowmaster Super 10s for the mufflers, which from what I understand from talking with flowmaster and looking at their website is their loudest muffler and most prone to drone.

I don't mind the exhaust tone or volume, but the drone at 65 mph/1800ish RPM is a bit much for my liking. I've started downshifting when forced to drive that speed due to traffic being slow but try my best to stay at 70 mph.

Seems my options are replace the mufflers with different flowmasters, though all the ones they recommended are listed on their site as having lots of drone, replace with axle back kit or perhaps install the resonator bullets (i think that's what they're called???)

kit i was looking at mainly is the roush axle back based on the thread a few below and the sound clips posted. Perhaps the magna flow axle back as I think I found the race series for a decent price but that race series seems like it might put me right back in the same boat i'm in now?

From the thread below the Roush supposedly has no drone and still sounds damn good. Though listening to exhaust on youtube is not an exact science. haha
They're not called dronemasters for nothing. Replace with a better axleback. If you want loud, go Corsa Sport AB or Roush AB.

OP
OP

FirstGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're not called dronemasters for nothing. Replace with a better axleback. If you want loud, go Corsa Sport AB or Roush AB.
haha yeah I know. :D Definitely wouldnt have been my choice on mufflers to run.
Corsa is out of my preferred budget.

i'm really thinking roush is the way to go

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The Roush won't drone but it'll be loud. Similar to the Corsa, it is controllable. Sounds great, though.

Sponsored

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Might be the first guy to acknowledge that he needs to downshift and not keep the RPMs @ 1800.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Might be the first guy to acknowledge that he needs to downshift and not keep the RPMs @ 1800.
Ok you're the only person on this forum spewing this crap. Ford put in a very tall overdrive 6th gear for highway driving. It's perfectly adequate from a performance standpoint, and there are many exhausts that don't drone. It's unacceptable to deal with drone when you don't need to.

GDP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Base Deep Impact
I had that same exact setup so I know what youre going through, would wake the dead at cold startup. Not much in the way of fixing it, best get the whole thing replaced if you have the funds. I HIGHLY HIGHLY recomend corsa systems but they are EXPENSIVE.

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I don't mind the drone but the flowmasters imo don't sound good when match up with the coyote. Now on the 302ci (5.0L) and 4.6, flowmasters sound heavenly.

To the original poster, if you like the tone of the flowmasters but not the drone, the 3 chamber flowmasters (50 series I believe) will solve that issue but the 50 series are much much more quieter than the 10 series.

Sponsored
OP
OP

FirstGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
:doh:

Ford gave it 6 gears for a reason, thanks for the helpful info though

Really I am able to avoid the drone for the most part by either slowing down or down shifting but I just dont care for it at all and it wasnt my choice as exhaust so i wanna change it to what i want

I don't mind the drone but the flowmasters imo don't sound good when match up with the coyote. Now on the 302ci (5.0L) and 4.6, flowmasters sound heavenly.

To the original poster, if you like the tone of the flowmasters but not the drone, the 3 chamber flowmasters (50 series I believe) will solve that issue but the 50 series are much much more quieter than the 10 series.
i'll look in to that.

Threebanger

I am legend.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bray
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Step 1) remove flow masters
Step 2) throw that shit in the trash
Step 3) say no to 90s exhaust
Step 4) drink a beer while unpacking your Corsa
Step 5) install your Corsa
Step 6) tingle your ear balls with your new Corsa

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Step 4) drink a beer while unpacking your Corsa
Step 5) install your Corsa
Step 6) tingle your ear balls with your new Corsa
And sound like every 2011+ Mustang on the road. Corsa plus X-pipe with that raspy tinny tone once you get above 4,000 rpms. :tsk:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
And sound like every 2011+ Mustang on the road. Corsa plus X-pipe with that raspy tinny tone once you get above 4,000 rpms. :tsk:
Not sure which Corsa systems you've heard that are tinny sounding (none). Rasp? Sure, a little, and it's subjective. If the Corsa is raspy, so is the Roush.

Tinny is a resonator delete with the stock mufflers or any other chambered muffler, as well as the MBRP Street. This includes the Flowmaster 44's. Those are pretty tinny at high rpm.
Sponsored