Sponsored

Spring install question

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Lots of good info/recommendations in this thread. I've taken notes and purchased parts accordingly for my own install...that will happen...one of these days when I have more than 2 hours of free time. :frusty:
My garage looks like a Steeda warehouse with all the parts and boxes...just sitting there.
Sponsored

Dspec_S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Mustang Ecoboost
Even though it seems like more work to do the fronts, I thought that part was easier, as I have probably done 50+ strut/spring changes.

The rear was a bitch, mostly because I thought I could do It without dropping the subframe.

I was wrong. My garage is super narrow too, the side mirrors nearly touch both door jambs of the garage..

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Getting ready to do the front's on my car next week. Thinking about ordering this spring compressor from amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SX5RSA4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1UMBRA5ZTBCX8

Any thought on quality?
That looks exactly like the tool I rented for free. When I went to rent it, they didn't have any available so they took a brand new one off the shelf. It was a $50 deposit that I got back when I returned it. It took me a couple minutes to figure out use it. Seems like it would be simple enough but the ends of it would get in the way of the spring mount. I was expecting that big scissor type. I liked it though and considered buying it after using it but then I thought about it and decided it's best to just rent it for free rather than store it in my garage.

Gee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Getting ready to do the front's on my car next week. Thinking about ordering this spring compressor from amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SX5RSA4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1UMBRA5ZTBCX8

Any thought on quality?
I actually rented these exact same units from Pep Boys. It's free. However, THEY F@#$%& SUCK TO GET THE SPRINGS OFF AND ON. Granted it was my first time doing springs, but it was an absolute bitch to position the spring compressors where they didn't interfere with the base of the strut.

Removing PP fronts were bad, but putting the new springs on was the absolute worst. It took multiple attempts at positioning. Also, don't even bother with hand tools, you'll be there for hours. You either need an air gun or a quality impact cordless. I have the Kobalt 24V 1/2" drive impact and it zipped the the compressors up/down with ease.

If I had to do springs again, I would bring the struts to the local place that rents garage time and tools (they have a spring removal press machine). Would take literally 15mins vs hours of effing with compressor positions. Other compressors might be easier (like the set Bill @ CJ uses in the vid), but maybe others can chime in on how well they work.

Sponsored

Dspec_S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Mustang Ecoboost
I bought one from harbor freight that was the same price.

They one I rented from autozone was the same exact down to the case, but different brand.

should do fine.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Removing PP fronts were bad, but putting the new springs on was the absolute worst. It took multiple attempts at positioning.
I didn't think about that. I was just replacing the strut and re-using the spring. I could see if you were replacing the spring, it would be a crap shoot getting those clamps in just the right spot!

Gee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Assume it was enough to just loosen all 4 bolts without un-threading them all the way out?
I loosened all 4 IRS bolts quite a ways out, but not totally removed. It creates plenty of space to yank out the old and install the new.

Gee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't think about that. I was just replacing the strut and re-using the spring. I could see if you were replacing the spring, it would be a crap shoot getting those clamps in just the right spot!
UH, YUP! haha I consider myself a fairly patient guy, but I was ready to smash something. Once I figured out the only correct spot to put the compressors where it would work on the first one, the second one went on much easier.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Helps considerably on the rear to have the sway bar disconnected also. ;)
Sponsored