Sponsored

2nd 2017 gt350 motor replacement on the horizon

GBGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT350 W/lightning blue stripes
Ford finally contacted dealership and allowed them to order 2nd motor replacement. I was told that I will never know what issue with motor was.
Are you keeping the vehicle or selling it back to Ford? I had thought you opted for a repurchase back from Ford??? This latest post makes it sound as if you'll be keeping the car now. I love my GT350 and I changed my oil for the first time this past weekend. The car had 1,800 miles on it and I didn't notice any signs of oil consumption. The oil level prior to changing was still between the hash marks of the dipstick. I must also admit I do not baby the car. I would consider my driving style moderate to spirited.
Sponsored

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
Considering the number of engines here, on Facebook, and other forums that have effectively been lost to low oil I wonder how long Ford will replace them. For those that have received the tool and the official notice of the oil consumption does this begin to be a negligence / maintenance item. I fully support owners and absolutely think this engine needed a low fluid light / limp mode, however that ship has sailed. car could have used a couple really small things to be perfect but what car is. I continue to consume about a quart between changes, sometimes a bit less, sometimes a bit more. I do get consistent build up in the catch can however nowhere near a quart in 3k miles. I really dont mind the consumption but I understand that my membership to this forum alerted me to the issues early, I have a lot of compassion for those late to the game. I hate the gear heads that think everyone should always know what they dont know and blame owners for things like this. Ford dealers and techs dont even know this stuff and they have to get tsbs and notices sent to them and they still goof it up.

GT350 needs a low oil indicator light, or oil measurement device if its can consume as much as 1 Qt per 500 miles! If it consumes more than 1 Qt in the time between recommended oil changes then that's a problem!

My Porsche Cayman S started "drinking oil" after I added a TPC Turbo kit to it (it was the turbo consuming it). BUT it even in stock form had an electronic oil level, it only measured correctly if car was turned off for 20 minutes or hadn't been started yet. I had to check the level in between each track session and added usually about a quart per track day.

OP
OP

chase527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt350 oxford white/black stripes
The new Tacos look pretty cool for a truck. I've always liked them. If you get one, post pics.
Im going to try for a trd pro but will not pay over msrp, I hate dealer markups.

OP
OP

chase527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like B.S., hope the new engine works out for you. I'd hate to be in your shoes and go through all this. I love my R and so far, so good, but only time will tell. Keep us posted, post like these are invaluable. Good luck.
My lemon law case has already been won, just waiting on opposing counsel to negotiate with my attorney over how much money I'll get back. I don't understand why the legal department doesn't communicate with the warranty department, why install a new motor if I'm releasing car in two weeks?

OP
OP

chase527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you keeping the vehicle or selling it back to Ford? I had thought you opted for a repurchase back from Ford??? This latest post makes it sound as if you'll be keeping the car now. I love my GT350 and I changed my oil for the first time this past weekend. The car had 1,800 miles on it and I didn't notice any signs of oil consumption. The oil level prior to changing was still between the hash marks of the dipstick. I must also admit I do not baby the car. I would consider my driving style moderate to spirited.
I've already won my case, attorney instructed me to let them install new motor.

Sponsored

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
My lemon law case has already been won, just waiting on opposing counsel to negotiate with my attorney over how much money I'll get back. I don't understand why the legal department doesn't communicate with the warranty department, why install a new motor if I'm releasing car in two weeks?
Ford is basically a huge bureaucracy like most large companies so it doesn't surprise me the paperwork hasn't been completed. It is still technically your car and I'm sure they are going to sell it once they take it back so it needs an engine either way.

As for finding out why it failed, they don't even tell dealers why. So unless somebody has inside sources we will most likely never know why or how they fail in this way.

Good luck with the Tacoma, they are great trucks.

VooDoo387R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R & 2020 GT500
Im going to try for a trd pro but will not pay over msrp, I hate dealer markups.
I buddy got one at MSRP in California, so I do t think you'll have a problem there, just find the right dealership. Good luck with your next purchase.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I'm considering a turd pro myself. Love the raptor but it's too much for what I'm doing.
The dealer I bought my raptor from told me I could drive my raptor for a couple years and when he took it for trade he'd give me what I paid for it. Hmmm

Last edited:

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
I'm considering a turd pro myself. Love the raptor but it's too much for what I'm doing.
The dealer I bought my raptor from told me I could drive my raptor for a couple years and when he took it for trade he'd give me what I paid for it. Hmmm
how the hell that work?!

Socalrugger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H4111
You'll love it....I have a built up '12 4Runner Ltd and like the TRD Pro's a lot.....
image1.JPG

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
how the hell that work?!
I have no idea. I think it was a little malarkey.
I've had 3 TRD Tacomas since 2009, all of them I traded in with 30 to 50,000 miles on them and I always got within 5k of new when trading in...with one only 2500 difference. I always put wet okole seat covers in and took good care of them.

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
it will hit an auction somewhere, it will need a motor.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
I have an Inferno 2015 TRD pro 4runner. I love this truck.

OP
OP

chase527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got to thinking today about excessive dealer markups, 20k for new raptor, 20k for civic type R and of coarse 10-20k for gt350. What puzzles me is this, as part of a lemon law buy back ford will reimburse me for my down payment, taxes and fees paid plus reimburse me for every payment I've made on car minus a usage fee based on miles, yet in my case it will probably be 0 since my first issue started at 1200 miles. Luckily I paid msrp for gt350 but what if I paid a 20k markup, who eats that? I would get all my money back but would ford force dealer to pay back markup since they are paying off loan? Also worth noting, I have gap insurance but is it even possible to get gap insurance on a dealer marked up vehicle and why do lenders allow an individual to finance a vehicle for 20k over its value?

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
I got to thinking today about excessive dealer markups, 20k for new raptor, 20k for civic type R and of coarse 10-20k for gt350. What puzzles me is this, as part of a lemon law buy back ford will reimburse me for my down payment, taxes and fees paid plus reimburse me for every payment I've made on car minus a usage fee based on miles, yet in my case it will probably be 0 since my first issue started at 1200 miles. Luckily I paid msrp for gt350 but what if I paid a 20k markup, who eats that? I would get all my money back but would ford force dealer to pay back markup since they are paying off loan? Also worth noting, I have gap insurance but is it even possible to get gap insurance on a dealer marked up vehicle and why do lenders allow an individual to finance a vehicle for 20k over its value?
They don’t usually. Financing and GAP coverage typically have a limit of 120-125% of the MSRP. That includes taxes and negative equity. So depending on where you live, you can throw another $6-12k on your loan after taxes. Or post-purchase dealer services or whatever.

* I’ve never worked for a dealer, but I’ve had plenty of car loans and this has been the case for any mainstream financing I’ve done.
Sponsored