Sponsored

Ecoboost mods, at some point it has to stop! :)

Warhead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
So I'm not trying to be a race car driver, but I want this sucker to fly when I want it to. As a daily driver mostly that I randomly punch it along the way, here's where I am with mods and hoping...finally...to stop.

1. Roush cold air intake (breathe in)
2. Roush axle back exhaust (breathe out)
3. Bama X4 tune (dramatic shift difference, holds boost to high RPM)
4. Steeda throttle body spacer (cheap mod to improve turbo perf)
5. JMS Pedalmax drive by wire (addresses throttle electronic lag issue)

(the last two are on order, along with an updated tune from Bama this week)

All of these things seem to address the basics without trying to go broke or beat a GT.

Thoughts? I don't want to overlook anything simple.

Oh, and here's the custom grille I built from parts ordered online!
2015-stang-front.jpg
Sponsored

rl16v6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Black EB Premium, 2008 Shelby GT500
So I'm not trying to be a race car driver, but I want this sucker to fly when I want it to. As a daily driver mostly that I randomly punch it along the way, here's where I am with mods and hoping...finally...to stop.

1. Roush cold air intake (breathe in)
2. Roush axle back exhaust (breathe out)
3. Bama X4 tune (dramatic shift difference, holds boost to high RPM)
4. Steeda throttle body spacer (cheap mod to improve turbo perf)
5. JMS Pedalmax drive by wire (addresses throttle electronic lag issue)

(the last two are on order, along with an updated tune from Bama this week)

All of these things seem to address the basics without trying to go broke or beat a GT.

Thoughts? I don't want to overlook anything simple.

Oh, and here's the custom grille I built from parts ordered online!
I totally agree, my EcoBoost is a DD as also. I have taken a similar path with improvements that increase performance and reliability.

I have done an AirAid Intake Tube with an AEM dry filter in the stock airbox. Upgraded my stock BOV to the Boomba Boost Operated BOV (highly recommend this combo) with a Steeda TBS. Also added a UPR Oil Catch Can, I see you haven't added one yet but I highly recommend doing this mod.

I am waiting for the FRPP Tune, as I have used their Supercharger setup in the past on my 2005 Mustang GT and was extremely pleased with the results.

Exhaust is one I haven't settled on yet, leaning towards the Roush or the Solo Performance Axle Backs with the stock Resonator.

Do you still have your stock Resonator with your Roush Exhaust, if so how do you like the sound?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Warhead

Warhead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
The only exhaust I addressed is the Roush axle back so replaced the stock mufflers and tips only. You can hear it here, it definitely drops the tone and brings some growl!

[ame]

OP
OP
Warhead

Warhead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
INTERCOOLER!

You NEED an Intercooler! That and an Oil Catch Can
On the intercooler, seems like the most expensive mod I could do by comparison, and more applicable to constant high rev use on a track?

Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'07 A4, '19 Ram Rebel

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Good list of mods, I have done some of those as well.

The number one thing I am needing as I have learned from driving around in hot Florida for the last 7 months is an intercooler, I am getting heatsoak issues after about a hour of driving, can't wait to get one, I would recommend this to any owner who drives an ecoboost in a hot weather climate.

As far as my little performance tweaks so far, the pedal max throttle accelerated as made the biggest difference, put the car in sport mode.. slam the pedal to the ground and be prepared to be amazed, lol.

Terry

Busser48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost
On the intercooler, seems like the most expensive mod I could do by comparison, and more applicable to constant high rev use on a track?
Wrong! If your tuned you need an fmic I don't care if you never rev it out. Get that bitch changed! Good luck

Busser48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost

The number one thing I am needing as I have learned from driving around in hot Florida for the last 7 months is an intercooler, I am getting heatsoak issues after about a hour of driving, can't wait to get one, I would recommend this to any owner who drives an ecoboost in a hot weather climate.

As far as my little performance tweaks so far, the pedal max throttle accelerated as made the biggest difference, put the car in sport mode.. slam the pedal to the ground and be prepared to be amazed, lol.

Terry
I have heard awful things about the plug in modules. Be careful. You know how else u can change throttle response? With a custom tune that actually safely changes the parameters, and not just plugs in and overrides stock commands. I say this with peace and love peace and love. Cheap is it always the best way to go. In fact with this car, it's never the good way to go. I would rather wait and save and get the best mod for the car, then skimp and have to worry about the ride. Goo luck

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Breathe in - That's a nice selection for the intake although the stock airbox in our EB is actually pretty efficient with the addition of a freer flowing filter. Roush, FRPP and Steeda all seem similar.

Breathe out - An axle back will do almost nothing to increase exhaust, just a sound improvement. A catback will do a little more but if you really want to increase exhaust flow a downpipe is needed.

Tune - Combining the JMS pluggable units with any tuning solution is very risky. You can find another guys horror story on here who did that. At a minimum, I would call Bama and let them know you're using it and ask if your tune should be adjusted. Personally, I'm betting they will say what are you using that for. The tune should take care of that. You are definitely falling short on the tune. There are other solutions that offer much better performance. My guess is like me, you're probably more used to the past Mustangs, using the SCT handheld and Bama was an ok, respectable tune for those. The EB platform is completely different and the Cobb Accessport is a much better platform providing tuners more control. There have been many comparisons on this site.

Like others have said, an upgraded FMIC is very important. Rather than re-explain it all, you should read some of the threads here. Basically the stock is severely under-sized. During even a light pull, the temperature rises quickly. When it does, the ECU has to pull timing to protect the engine, robbing you of power.

The oil catch can will not improve performance but it may help you enjoy it a bit longer.

Charge pipes are not needed until you go bigger turbo and will do nothing for you. You may want to double check ALL of the clamps though and ensure they are very secure. We've seen a lot of people range from slight boost leak all the way to CPSs blown completely off and a limping car.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Warhead

Warhead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)

Terry
95% of my driving is 15 mins or less, the other 5% is up to 45 mins. In those instances I might punch it hard a couple times to feel it. :)

The Pedalmax made it onto my list after the Bama tune, which is great overall, doesn't cure all the electronic throttle lag. Most reviews, with and without a tune, were 5 star.

Busser48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost
95% of my driving is 15 mins or less, the other 5% is up to 45 mins. In those instances I might punch it hard a couple times to feel it. :)

The Pedalmax made it onto my list after the Bama tune, which is great overall, doesn't cure all the electronic throttle lag. Most reviews, with and without a tune, were 5 star.
I was under the impression you weren't supposed to stack modules on top of custom tunes...... Don't they adjust throttle in the Bama tune? If so then you might be exponentially adding trouble to the circumstances. Just friendly advice. I don't think you will find many on here doing that. The one that did, blew his engine.

OP
OP
Warhead

Warhead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
Breathe in - That's a nice selection for the intake although the stock airbox in our EB is actually pretty efficient with the addition of a freer flowing filter. Roush, FRPP and Steeda all seem similar.

Breathe out - An axle back will do almost nothing to increase exhaust, just a sound improvement. A catback will do a little more but if you really want to increase exhaust flow a downpipe is needed.
I will readily admit the Roush axle back was mostly about the sound, although Roush themselves claims each of these mods is a close to 30HP pickup using 93 octane, at peak. These were the first two mods we did, very noticeable difference in throttle response, and that tone is excellent!

Tune - Combining the JMS pluggable units with any tuning solution is very risky. You can find another guys horror story on here who did that. At a minimum, I would call Bama and let them know you're using it and ask if your tune should be adjusted.
I just ordered the JMS after realizing between 25% and 50% of buyers reviewing it said they were specifically using it with their Bama tune. I get free tunes for life with Bama, so I sent them the updated mod list to compensate and send the new tune out. We will install the JMS, then the new tune so it's accounted for. If Bama warns me of any risks, I will report back here.

I really like the Bama tune a lot, combined with my Roush mods. However, there is still lag time between pedal and response and the JMS specifically cures that issue to make it respond more like a wire. Other than sheer responsiveness, the gains seem to be in the lower RPM range for quicker takeoff. The Bama tune is excellent for holding boost and torque longer at the upper end, so I look forward to seeing the result and will report back.

The Steeda spacer had surprisingly strong reviews and at $59 with users reporting if anything that they were gaining 1-2 MPG, sure lets spend 15 minutes and rock with it. Even if it's not much for power, one MPG would be worth it alone.

OP
OP
Warhead

Warhead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
I was under the impression you weren't supposed to stack modules on top of custom tunes...... Don't they adjust throttle in the Bama tune? If so then you might be exponentially adding trouble to the circumstances. Just friendly advice. I don't think you will find many on here doing that. The one that did, blew his engine.
I submitted the new mods list included the JMS to Bama to adjust the custom tune (I've got their free tunes for life). If Bama warns me of anything I will report back. Many of the JMS Pedalmax buyers on American Muscle reported using it with their Bama tune.

OP
OP
Warhead

Warhead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
With these few mods so far also, my personal best 0-60 is 5.7 seconds on a back country flat road on stock tires / suspension. Before the mods I was around 6.1 secs most times on the same spot of road.

I swear it's that lag just at takeoff holding it back, which again is what attracted me to the Pedalmax.
Sponsored