Air bags engineered?

MustangScooter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, Manual, Lightning Blue
Hey guys just wondering if anyone has had airbags put on their stang and had them engineered? I want to bag my stang when it arrives but also want my insurance to cover me if i get them, from my understanding insurance will only cover "legal" mods

any advice or info would be appriciated

thank you in advance
Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys just wondering if anyone has had airbags put on their stang and had them engineered? I want to bag my stang when it arrives but also want my insurance to cover me if i get them, from my understanding insurance will only cover "legal" mods

any advice or info would be appriciated

thank you in advance
The advice you receive may well vary from state to state and even from engineer to engineer but I spoke to a guy here in Victoria and his response was basically this:
He doesn't "engineer the bags" he engineers all of the modifications to the vehicle. Eg. The vehicle as a whole entity needs to be passed.
Basic checklist for those who may be interested.

Wheels: in my case, no issue because they are within the spec of a vehicle being sold by Ford in the US. Any offset/width outside a factory option will require a little more work.

Exhaust and headers: must meet DB requirements and have cats fitted. No sniffer test.

Air bags and ANY suspension components deviating from factory:
Must have manufacturers load data for assesment.
Bags will need to comply with state laws eg. In vic must not be able to be aired out whilst driving (hence the handbrake trigger option on Accuair).
Must have audible or visual alert for loss of system pressure etc.

Those are the main contenders that we spoke about.
As soon as he mentioned getting the exhaust to legal volume I was done.
As for getting manufacturers data for shear strength and all that :lol:

Other engineers may hold other opinions. I'll be ringing around for answers that suit me better. :ninja:

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Cheers mate, gives me a direction to head in
No worrries mate. SA used to be a bit more relaxed than VIC. Not sure if that's still the case though. :shrug:

bluepony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue S550
I was on the same boat and wanted to get the Air Lift system but then my insurer would not accept it completely

they would accept an Eibach coilover and swaybars setup though :shrug:

Sponsored

OP
OP

MustangScooter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, Manual, Lightning Blue
I was on the same boat and wanted to get the Air Lift system but then my insurer would not accept it completely

they would accept an Eibach coilover and swaybars setup though :shrug:
Would not accept it completely? As in wouldn't cover anything or just the suspension if they were bags?

bluepony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue S550
what I meant is that my Insurer would not accept the Air Lift System and will not insure the car at all if I install that part. Likewise they would also not insure the car if a Turbo or Super charger was installed.

They are happy to cover the car and upgraded parts though. These included KW V3 Coilover, Sway bars, Strut bar, Corsa Exaust and CAI.

I think different insurer has different policy and it is best that you speak to them directly and ask the hypothetical question and mention the particular part. My insurer would basically accept any coil over kit as long as it is legal and RWC (eg not too low or no crazy camber etc). But when I mentioned Air Lift they said straight away that will void insurance completely. I have not installed my part but I have spoken to them to get a indicative increase of premium. They also bumped my excess up too by $400 if I install these parts.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
what I meant is that my Insurer would not accept the Air Lift System and will not insure the car at all if I install that part. Likewise they would also not insure the car if a Turbo or Super charger was installed.

They are happy to cover the car and upgraded parts though. These included KW V3 Coilover, Sway bars, Strut bar, Corsa Exaust and CAI.

I think different insurer has different policy and it is best that you speak to them directly and ask the hypothetical question and mention the particular part. My insurer would basically accept any coil over kit as long as it is legal and RWC (eg not too low or no crazy camber etc). But when I mentioned Air Lift they said straight away that will void insurance completely. I have not installed my part but I have spoken to them to get a indicative increase of premium. They also bumped my excess up too by $400 if I install these parts.
I think the trick here is to make sure that you have the choice of repairer in your insurance cover. It also works well if you know the guys at the panel shop you'll be using. I'll let you guys join the dots on that.
Let's just say the the assessor isn't present until well after something goes wrong..
Sponsored