Dents after pinch weld lift

thehygienist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
IRISH
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT350
I noticed a couple of new dents (more like dimples) in the body after my car was lifted for the first time on the pinch welds at the dealer. I also found the exact same dents, same location and depth, on another GT350. Mine's been lifted before with a drive-on lift and that produced no dents.

Curious if anyone else has seen these appear? Location is driver's side. I didn't see the dents on either GT350 on the passenger side. Seems to be a driver's side weakness.
Dents.jpg
Sponsored

john@fatfab

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby Omni
Every 2015 up car we have had in here has all those little "dents" all the way down the bottom rocker panel from the front to back about every 2 inches. That is where they are pinch welded together and ford didn't spend a lot of time body filling those spots. I think you are just now noticing it.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Sorry to hear it. I don't have them on mine. Look into steeda jacking rails after you get them fixed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
thehygienist

thehygienist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
IRISH
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT350
I think you are just now noticing it.
Nope those are fresh from yesterday. I paid close attention to that area because just about 12" above that point, another dealer put a couple of nice little dents in my quarter panel that I had them remove. The only thing that could have caused those dimples was the visit to the dealer after which I noticed the dents right away. The new variable was jacking up at the pinch welds. Dunno if jacking rails would have made any difference, possibly.

john@fatfab

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby Omni
Its hard to tell in the picture, but I think your dents are a little higher than the spot welding dimples I'm talking about. I can't imagine how that lifting the car on the pinch welds would cause that though. That is the proper way to lift the car. There is little arrows showing where to place the lift arms. I wonder if the lifts had the round rubber pads or if it was a older lift with the steel pads.

Like this
get?imageType=Product&imageName=674-FJ6190.jpg

SPOA10U705.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
thehygienist

thehygienist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
IRISH
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT350
It was impossible to get a pic of the dimples so I ballparked the location (might be a little higher). I'm pretty sure there was no padding on the lift arms. Something was definitely weakened by the weight of the car.

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
The part you are pointing at with the two arrows in that picture is a bolt-on piece that is part of the entire rocker molding piece and is made of ABS plastic.

OP
OP
thehygienist

thehygienist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
IRISH
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT350
Wow, not only that, I checked it with a magnet and the hood, front fenders and door sill from front to back are plastic. Roof pillars, roof, rear quarter, and trunk lid are metal. I assumed the sill, front fender and hood were all metal.

Sponsored
OP
OP
thehygienist

thehygienist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
IRISH
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT350
oops yes I feel stupid now, thanks. The fender and hood are Al, and just the rocker is plastic, or is the rocker aluminum too? Seems strange to just have one small piece ABS plastic, or is Muligan wrong about that?

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
Correct - fenders and hood are aluminum and the rocker has that little piece of finish plastic that is body color attached to it.

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
Mine has those on both sides. I have the Steeda rails. I thought it was just a flaw in the metal stampings?

Last edited:

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
Those rocker panels are 100% plastic as mentioned before. They have sliding plastic clips on the back that lock them in place. What you see as 'dings' is just where the clips mount on the back side and plastic is slightly under more tension because of the clips holding onto the metal chassis.

88mph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I have them on both sides of mine.
So, general consensus is that they are a factory flaw and not damage? Given it is plastic I take it PDR won't do the job?
Sponsored