Monitoring Engine Temp - no oil temp

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Anyone have a good way to monitor engine temp through OBD2 since we don't have an oil temp gauge in the EB? In my PP, there's an oil temp gauge but has no numbers on it, not really sure how much good the thing is.

I'd prefer oil temp if someone has come up with a custom PID to add to OBD2 programs to get the approximate value. I looked but couldn't find any info and the program I use doesn't include a calculated PID. Currently I'm using ECT but the coolant temp isn't an indicator of oil temp since the thermostat just closes off water flow and the coolant heats up quickly compared to the engine oil. So currently I just wait for a bit after the coolant reaches temp.

If not oil temp, is there another sensor that would be a good indicator that has a PID we could monitor? This is what I setup for now.
monitor.jpg
Sponsored

Smaxzor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost premium performance
Hey maybe I'm missing something but i just use the digital gauge on the center gauge cluster when it hits normal is when my performance package oil pressure gauges lowers down to is normal running state or do you just only want a obd2 option?

OP
OP
jbailer

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Hey maybe I'm missing something but i just use the digital gauge on the center gauge cluster when it hits normal is when my performance package oil pressure gauges lowers down to is normal running state or do you just only want a obd2 option?
I was hoping for an OBD2 solution so I could leave the console for other things. Plus I can log the data if needed.

I guess I was hoping someone had figured out a way to enter a manual PID to calculate Oil Temp similar to what Ford does for that gauge in the cluster. I figured out that it hits the green part of the oil temp gauge at about 178* ECT. Looking at the temperature gauge in the cluster (not the digital), it is well into the normal zone before the oil temp hits the green.

I was also surprised that watching the ECT and the CHT, they stayed almost exactly the same all the way up to 178*. If nothing else, maybe I'll just monitor CHT. That's when I get it working in OBD Fusion, currently I can't find the PID. I found it in Dash Command so it should work.

Jonahbonah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost
I'm actually able to read oil temp through the obd, oil pressure is what is not available to monitor

OP
OP
jbailer

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
I'm actually able to read oil temp through the obd, oil pressure is what is not available to monitor
That's odd, what OBD2 app are you using? In OBD Fusion, oil pressure is available and it works, found under Ford, Lincoln, Mercury> Information Center Module. It lists it as Oil Pressure %. I'm not sure if it's really reading percentage or psi. When I briefly checked it on my car, it read the same as my oil pressure gauge in the dash gauge for the PP. It is probably only available if you buy the "Ford XXXX Enhanced Diagnostics" pack for an additional $9.99. If I had to pick one, I'd probably rather have oil pressure too but since I have that on my PP gauge, I'm not worried about it.

Sponsored

Jonahbonah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost
Well I'm not using an app, rather the Cobb AP3. Don't know if that would make a difference, but it still connects through the obd regardless

OP
OP
jbailer

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Well I'm not using an app, rather the Cobb AP3. Don't know if that would make a difference, but it still connects through the obd regardless
Oh sadly I can't use that although I love that tool! In order to use the Cobb AP for monitoring, it has to be married to the car. When that happens, it actually impacts the tune. Minimally at first, it uses a simulated stock tune which would still show up as a flashed tune. I'm running the FP tune so that would ruin it for me. If I were going to use an pro tune, I would DEFINITELY heavily favor a tune using the Cobb AP specifically for that handheld device. The ability to use it as an easy monitoring tool (gauges), data logging with great performance and the ability to switch between tunes on the fly vs having to re-flash a new tune. Plus some of the other features like line lock and stuff.

If Cobb ever made it so I could use it as a separate tool that didn't impact the tune, I'd do it in a second!

OP
OP
jbailer

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Good news if anyone uses OBD Fusion. Working with their tech support, I got them to add CHT2 for cylinder head temperature. It's available in the "Ford 2015 Enhanced Diagnostics" package. I've already checked it out and it's working great. If you already have the enhanced package, you'll need to download it again and then re-scan for supported PIDs. Download under Settings> Purchase Extras> Ford, Lincoln, Mercury.

OP
OP
jbailer

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Ok, now that I said that Cylinder Head Temp is available on OBD Fusion, I did some more testing and found that although it is working and showing data, it's incorrect. It seems to be reading about 20-25* higher than the car's gauge and my other OBD2 app. I've sent their tech support a follow up and will comment back if we get it fixed.

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
You cannot read oil temp on this car. If you do it is beyond wrong.

I added one at a sandwich plate on my previous car.

Sponsored

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Not really sure what you're talking about. On the Cobb ap3 its listed as one of the available gauges.
You don't know what you are talking about.

It's an inferred reading.

Meaning it takes coolant temp, oil pressure, and more to come up with a temperature.

I proved how inaccurate it was as I had the most track focused EB on the forum.

OP
OP
jbailer

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=11290]xXANCHORMONXx[/MENTION] Since you have an actual oil temp gauge, can you tell me what existing temperature sensor to monitor if my goal is safe turbo loading? I was thinking of CHT but after watching it, I think that's not a good indicator. I really don't want to have to add an oil temp gauge. I'd use the simulated thing in the dash before adding something.

Jonahbonah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost
You cannot read oil temp on this car. If you do it is beyond wrong.

I added one at a sandwich plate on my previous car.
You don't know what you are talking about.

It's an inferred reading.

Meaning it takes coolant temp, oil pressure, and more to come up with a temperature.

I proved how inaccurate it was as I had the most track focused EB on the forum.

Gotcha. My mistake then

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
[MENTION=11290]xXANCHORMONXx[/MENTION] Since you have an actual oil temp gauge, can you tell me what existing temperature sensor to monitor if my goal is safe turbo loading? I was thinking of CHT but after watching it, I think that's not a good indicator. I really don't want to have to add an oil temp gauge. I'd use the simulated thing in the dash before adding something.
The biggest two will be coolant temp and oil pressure.

If you see your coolant going way up then so is your oil.

Some quick numbers

At a 100f trackday at its hottest I had coolant temps at
225F

275F for oil temp via Cobb and 218F for oil temp with my own gauge.
Sponsored