Sponsored

Front struts and rear dampers

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
I have been debating what the affects would be between the Ford track handling struts and shocks or the PP struts and shocks would give me comparison wise for a DD street driven ..

I already have springs to use with either the track or PP struts and shocks .

This is also on an ecoboost that is only 200 lbs. Less than a GT
And I'm budget minded .
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
What springs do you have? Dampers need to be matched to your spring rates.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
If you aren't ever going to track your car, then I would advise you not to put on any stiffer spring than the PP setup. It just takes the pleasure out of your DD, and distracts (even annoys) you on less than smooth roads. The car still handles well, and you really can't push the stock suspension near its limit on the street without running a real risk of a mishap.

I just swapped from full GT350 setup (stiffer than PP) back to stock this past weekend. I didn't even give it a thought about a certain bouncy road until I sat down at my desk at work. So I speak from experience of both track and street worlds.

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
I'm not a fan of the oem dampers, not even the PP. There's nothing wrong with being budget minded, but if you're going to spend anything at all for struts/shocks you're better off spending a little more to get a genuine upgrade for your money than to put money into something less expensive that you won't be satisfied with.

For a DD I'd suggest koni yellow, they work well with most of the streetable lowering springs, and on the softest setting will give you a firm controlled ride that won't beat you up on rough roads.

I've heard good things about the ride quality with Steeda shocks, and what I like about those is you know they're valved correctly to work with Steeda's lowering springs.

I don't have any experience with the FP track dampers, so I can't comment on how they work with springs other than the FP track kit which they should be properly valved for, but IMO those springs are a bit too firm for a car that never sees track use.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Folks give great reviews of the Steeda fixed dampers on even stock springs... I'd get those. The Ford Racing dampers are a good choice, too. PP dampers kind of suck unless you put the Steeda Progressive springs with them, then they seem to be matched better.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Brian V

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
I have been leaning towards the PP dampers to match up with these progressive springs that are 2 years old and still in the box .. I only get 1 day a week to do anything to this mustang and that is usually Saturday . Wash and wax and general maintenance items . Also have been collecting some needed tools to do these desired chores . I'm getting there but slowly . I do own 3 sets of wheels and tires and a few autocross days in the future would be nice to do if [MENTION=10281]BmacIL[/MENTION] could help a brother out on the where and when next season .

qtrracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium PP Recaros; 86 GT 'Vert Pro-touring
I agree with the recommendation to consider high quality dampers. I've run everything from the Saleen sourced Gabrials, the KYBs, Bilsteins and Konis, into the higher end stuff (think KW, Ohlins, JRi, etc.). I would go Bilstein HDs over Koni SA Sports any day. I would stay away from the KYB/Gabrial/junk. If resources permit, find some higher end products - perhaps used. These generally are rebuildable and can be revalved to your specs. Huge difference in damping control which translates into a better, more controlled and predictable ride.
Sponsored