Sponsored

Can't take the clunks! Questions for those that have gone 6R80

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
Yea I really don't like my MT-82. Its notchy and aggravates me at times but not enough for me to take a hit trading it in on an auto. Car is close to being paid off. If the trans ever takes a dump I'll replace it with a Tremec.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Shawn 94 GT

Shawn 94 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Mustang GT PP1 A10
I did think about going that route, but it would actually cost more for the Tremec than what I am losing on the trade on this car. Like I said, I am getting a pretty good deal with the dealer that I'm working with. I'm still losing a chunk of change, but it's not as nearly as bad as it could be. Plus, then I'm sure Ford would fight me on any warranty issues I would have in the future. I am also not 100 percent sure swapping to a different trans would completely solve the issue.It feels to me, like a lot of this issues lies in the rear differential as well as the transmission.

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
Yea I really don't like my MT-82. Its notchy and aggravates me at times but not enough for me to take a hit trading it in on an auto. Car is close to being paid off. If the trans ever takes a dump I'll replace it with a Tremec.
When taking into consideration the monetary loss from trading in, this is not only a viable option, but a wise one as well. The Tremec is a great trans.

@ the OP. If the car is going to be a daily driver the auto will probably satisfy you. If you were going to do a power adder, the auto most assuredly would satisfy you. But if this car is to be that occasionally driven toy, you will tire of it quickly. You will miss shifting the MT82 even as bad as they are.

I made this mistake and I hated the auto.....no, let me rephrase. I absolutely despised it.

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
I did think about going that route, but it would actually cost more for the Tremec than what I am losing on the trade on this car. Like I said, I am getting a pretty good deal with the dealer that I'm working with. I'm still losing a chunk of change, but it's not as nearly as bad as it could be. Plus, then I'm sure Ford would fight me on any warranty issues I would have in the future. I am also not 100 percent sure swapping to a different trans would completely solve the issue.It feels to me, like a lot of this issues lies in the rear differential as well as the transmission.
Don't see the point to this thread. You obviously have your mind made up and are merely looking for psychological support for your decision. Good luck. :thumbsup:

Sponsored

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
Shawn 94 GT,

You're going to get all types of opinions on this thread.
Make the decision that brings you happiness and satisfaction.

Personally, when my warranty expires, I'll be getting a Lund tune.
Based on multiple forum members feedback, they have the best A6 shifting characteristics...very quick and very firm.:cheers:

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
@Labradog . Why did you trade yours in so early? Just the trans issue or something else?
Strictly the trans. Clunkiness, frequent lockout of 3rd gear on the 2-3 upshift... I was at a point where I didn't really like driving the car. Myabe it would have gotten better with more miles and switching to an MGW shift assembly, but I had already done the fluid change to BG and Steeda helper spring and it was still a frustrating experience. I miss the experience of a manual sometimes, but not that one.

OP
OP
Shawn 94 GT

Shawn 94 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Mustang GT PP1 A10
Thanks for the replies guys.

It’s not that I’ve got my mind made up. It’s that I am trying to gather as much information as possible so I don’t make another uninformed purchase. I will say that my biggest mistake in all of this, is that I didn’t do the research before I bought my car. Had I done that, I would have been on the lookout for this issue, and it would have honestly swayed my decision. That’s why I’m here. Gathering trom the experiences of others who have been in the same situation. The current deal on ‘17 Mustangs are a possibility. But I do like the Challegers as well. Just never been a Mopar fan, and don’t like the weight. Can’t do the Camaro. I had an ‘11 SS auto and it did nothing for me. I find the newer ones even uglier.

Mustang_Owner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP Roush
Strictly the trans. Clunkiness, frequent lockout of 3rd gear on the 2-3 upshift... I was at a point where I didn't really like driving the car. Myabe it would have gotten better with more miles and switching to an MGW shift assembly, but I had already done the fluid change to BG and Steeda helper spring and it was still a frustrating experience. I miss the experience of a manual sometimes, but not that one.
"Clunkiness, frequent lockout of 3rd gear on the 2-3 upshift" - I had the same issue. 3rd didn't actually work at some point. Also, the surround you have to lift up on to go into reverse didn't work at some point and the car would accidentally go into reverse instead of first. You could imagine how stressful that was to avoid hitting the front of the car behind me when trying to go forward! Once the shifting issues start to happen, the issues with it just get worse and worse. They eventually replaced my entire transmission on the 2015 GT PP MT car. I recently bought a new 2017 GT PP MT supercharged car with the same transmission. I'm just at 1100 miles and so far so good. I agree the 'thud' noise in shifting gears was annoying - almost like something was wrong with it. After my gear shifter broke a few times in various ways, and I had to wait for the repair for literally weeks and pay for my car rental for the most part, I still ended up buying another MT82 based car due to the low price and my experience with it. Now, I shift much easier on it than I used to when I first bought the 2015. I learned how to overcome the shifting issues inherent with the MT82 - I hope. Time will tell!

Stripler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang
The clunks are "normal" and aren't all related to the transmission, but slack in the rest of the drivetrain. This slack is as designed on these cars. After an MGW shifter and trans fluid swap, my transmission feels as good as the t56 I had in my GTO and Trans Am.

If you don't think you can get used to the clunking or thuds, then yes, this transmission is not for you. But I personally would just get over it and drive the car without worrying as it really won't affect your enjoyment if you don't let it. I have 35,000 miles on my car with no issues to date.

Sponsored

rsmustangjr16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium Performance Pack
Shawn, I had also had the clunk in my car. A set of steeda diff bushings along with the IRS braces pretty much took care of it.Much more solid now. I would recommend that route and it doesn't cost much. I did have the bushings installed for 85 bucks and I put the braces on myself. I'm perfectly content with how it came out.

Last edited:

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
6R80 still clunk.
It's not the transmission that is clucking. It's the diff and two piece drive shaft.

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
Hi, long time Mustang owner here, but this is my first post on this forum.

Short story is back in February of this year, I bought my first ever new car. A Magnetic '17 GT premium performance pack, and traded in my '11 Brembo pack GT on it. The car itself I love. The MT-82 transmission not so much. I had the first version of this transmission in my '11 GT and while it is notchy when cold, it never gave me any problems. My new car has a very distinctive thud when you initially put it in gear, it has the same but less noticeable thud when you shift between 1-2, 2-3, and now I'm even noticing it going in to fourth. It's not to bad when the car is cold, but after all the fluids are hot, you can't help but notice it. It's also got a pretty good whine in the first four gear. This is all from a car that has less than 1k miles on it. I've had the dealership look at it, and they confirm what I hear, but Ford doesn't know what to do about it. They bled the clutch a couple times, and told me it needs more break in miles. Yeah, whatever. I can only imagine what this thing will sound, and feel like with 50k hard miles on it. I have researched the problem to death, and it looks like most people with the PP have the problem to a varying degree, and either learn to live with it, or get rid of the trans/car.

Well I've owned tons of Mustangs, and have driven manuals since I was about 12 (grew up on a farm). I've never had to deal with this type of problem, unless something was broke, or worn out. I shouldn't have to deal with it in the nicest Mustang I've ever owned. I have little to no confidence of Ford being able to fix it. They haven't on any one else's car, and often create more problems from the dealer techs taking the car apart and putting it back together. I also am very concerned with this transmission giving me more problems down the road. The MT-82 clunk has really ruined the whole experience for me.

With all that being said, I've heard good things about the 6R80E trans that has been around for a while. I kinda cringe a little when I think of a performance car with an slushbox, but from what I understand, they are actually pretty good in these cars. I went and test drove one Friday, and it was actually kinda cool. I like the rev match down shift, and for a stock trans shift times were pretty good. I imagine this trans with a tune would be pretty snappy on the shifts. I had sorta thought about getting an auto when I bought my car due to a knee injury from when I was younger. My '11 clutch would cause some pain if I was in traffic much. But the fact that you can't get the PP on the auto, and how light the clutch was in the '17 sealed the deal. I never even test drove an auto. I should have. I sooo wish they would have offered the PP on the Auto. I know next year they will.

So my local dealer is working to find a car as close to mine as possible with an auto. It kills me to lose all the pp stuff, but at the end of the day I want a car that's not a disappointment to drive. I can add most of it back. It also kills me to trade in a 7 month old car with 944 miles on it. I am taking a bath on the deal, My local dealer has offered way above average trade on my current car, and with the close out deals on the '17's right now, it's the only things that's even making it doable.

So with that super long story being over. To the guys that have had both, how do like the auto? I know the base suspension kinda sucks, and it's not the easiest thing in the world to change out. On the test drive, I could definitely tell it was more floaty over bridge joints, and def more body roll. The brakes felt pretty good. They look like the brakes off my old Brembo pack '11 GT. Are they? I guess what I'm saying here is, it's not like it's just a manual to auto difference, it's a car that is setup a ton softer it seems. I like the aspect of it's would be a little faster at the strip, but I also like to take to the curves too. I know I would be giving up a good bit here. Once again I can change that. How does the 6R80 respond to tunes? I would probably be going with the Ford Performance stage 2 pack. I know that will not be super aggressive, but I want to maintain my warranty. Is the 6R really as tough as the internet makes it out to be? People seem to be putting some pretty impressive power though them stock, and they seem to be holding up. So, ot the people that have swapped cars, or trannnys, Give me your input, what are you opinions?

Thanks,
Shawn
The clunking noise you hear is normal and characteristic, of the torsen differential in your 17 gtpp. The noise is not coming from the mt82 manual transmission. Unless you are just convincing yourself you want an auto i would keep your current car! -JMHO

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
6R80 still clunk.
It's not the transmission that is clucking. It's the diff and two piece drive shaft.
This is it. The GT350s have the same clunk as the other Mustangs, and they have a different transmission.

I had a 2015 base GT and it had the same clunk.
Sponsored