Sponsored

Has anyone PORT MATCHED THE INTAKE TO HEAD PORTS?

Stlsinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I have. 16 GT running e85 and a hogged out 13 intake. I'm pretty sure there's going to be a lip at the intake to head port. Has anyone done this? I'm going to do it on the car and remove just enough to match them up.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Stlsinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
The shafts break inside. It's also a lot cleaner. Less crap on the back of the intake

Sponsored

V8EATR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I guess I haven't heard much about the shafts breaking. Still don't know why you would want to delete a part of the car that improves efficiency and power. That intake is literally the worst intake manifold you can put on the car. Stock, GT350, Boss, CJ are all better options.

OP
OP

Stlsinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Sooooo.... what your saying is. You have never match ported the intake to head transition?

Please tell me why that intake is so inferior to the 15-17 intake aside from the poorly designed imrc

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

Stlsinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
The whole thing started when my car started running bad with two misfire codes. The dealer said it was from me removing the cats. I finally removed the intake myself. Found the broken shaft. Took a video. And showed them. They replaced it under warranty. But he did say there's a known issue with that shaft breaking.

I saw that there were lockouts. But why pay 90 when I could get an older one. Without the crap in back and still run a chance of the shaft breaking. You can hold the outside linkage but the flaps will still move.

If anyone has the info on the exact differences on the two intakes I'd love to know. They are very similar. I did have to trim the bottom side so it sit flat.

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
$90???? Its, $49 for the kit.

Anyways, the shape of the IMRC gives the air a low speed swirl into the cylinder head during throttle tip-ins. It closes off the runner about 75%. Thus, part throttle response is increased too. Would you feel it through a torque converter auto car? Probably not. WOT situations will net the same peak power between the two manifolds.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Stlsinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Makes sense. If it worked properly. I would feel a hesitation after coming off a good run. Probably vacuum rebounding in the diaphragms. I knew this post would get hijacked about the damn IMRC! Haha!

Now back to match porting. If your intake is bigger than the port on the head the the air would hit a wall correct? Just wondering if anyone got rid of it and if it helped

OP
OP

Stlsinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Let see

30 bucks vs at least 300. Lol. I'm getting the CJ the end of the year. We can go all day long about what intake is better I guess I'll be the Guinea pig. I know a couple places do porting with decent numbers. Just wanted some opinions

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
You are correct you want them to match or have the intake be smaller than the heads.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I port matched my Boss intake on my 2011, but to be totally honest it wasn't about increasing the volume of the runners but rather knocking down the casting imperfections between where the plastic parts are joined together. I have photos on photobucket but since they changed their hosting policies I can't post them until I get home to my computer. FWIW I would recommend leaving the vanes in the throttle body opening since they do little for power but decrease funky noises(not that I've heard in person but others have mentioned in back in the S197tech days).

edit, don't have any photos of the finished effort but this shows where I focused:
IMG_4540.jpg

IMG_4545.jpg
Sponsored