Sponsored

stock airbox

stevnoof1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
Just wondering if the stock airbox is actually restrictive for a na car compared to the aftermarket "cold air intakes". I can't really see one intake being better than the other especially if I just put a "high flow" air filter in the stock air box.
Sponsored

Jayme

DoggystyleRacing®
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aedhp.com
First Name
Jayme
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
id stick with the stock box, mishimoto/airaid elbow, Velossa Tech Big mouth and a green panel filter.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Just wondering if the stock airbox is actually restrictive for a na car compared to the aftermarket "cold air intakes". I can't really see one intake being better than the other especially if I just put a "high flow" air filter in the stock air box.
Typically, a CAI on its own is not a game changer. TBH they look cool at car shows. There is a slight benefit on a stock tune. On good kits, the cone filters have more surface area than a flat panel, which eliminates restriction, and the tubes are optimized for more efficient flow. The best ones DO require a tune.

My CAI is a bit of a unicorn in the industry since it has a 120 mm tube and can still work properly, with or without tuning. It does pull better at about 4000 rpm and above. But... I know that combined with a tune, I will realize the most benefit, and that is coming probably sooner than later :) I planned it this way.

Bill88stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt 6 speed manual
Is there any power difference in the mishimoto tube over the air aid tube?

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
the tubes do zero both mishi and airraid, stock airbox is better than all cai for keeping temps down and flows,
K&N panel filter in it and remove the carbon trap in it with a dremmel and away you go.

Sponsored

ITSMEPAUL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
the tubes do zero both mishi and airraid, stock airbox is better than all cai for keeping temps down and flows,
K&N panel filter in it and remove the carbon trap in it with a dremmel and away you go.
carbon trap removal ???
Can you elaborate.
I know Sh#^* about this and have the stock box with the K&N.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Is there any power difference in the mishimoto tube over the air aid tube?
Yes. Two independent guys tested them back to back and there was about a 7-10 whp peak difference, but a 25-30 whp midrange difference.

Stock airbox only starts being a bottleneck above 6500 rpm, and not much of one at that.

Last edited:

H@mmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT w/ Too Many Mods
id stick with the stock box, mishimoto/airaid elbow, Velossa Tech Big mouth and a green panel filter.
This is what I wish I had done over my PMAS.
Or maybe the GT350 airbox.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Yes. Two independent guys tested them back to back and there was about a 7-10 whp peak difference, but a 25-30 whp midrange difference.

Stock airbox only starts being a bottleneck above 6500 rpm, and not much of one at that.
I saw zero gains with the Mishimoto and promptly sold it.
Sponsored