Sponsored

Shaker™ Pro Audio System vs. Premium 9 Speaker System

lpe403

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT
Can Anyone describe the differences to me?

I am particularly interested to know if the Shaker Pro sounds significantly better than the 9 speaker premium.

The reason I'm asking is I wonder if its worth it to go 400A with Shaker Pro vs. 301A (includes Premium stereo) - it's about a $3000 difference with my car spec'd out. The only reason I'd upgrade to a GT premium is if the Shaker Pro is a substantially better sound system.

Thanks for all your input.
Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Likely no difference. Aftermarket will be better.

terryz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base manual
my 4 speaker system is acceptable with after-market speakers, I imagine the 9 speaker system can only be better. Anything more expensive, in my opinon, would be overkill since Mustang is not quiet/refined enough to benefit from better sound systems.

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
Hearing both systems in person, the only difference is the Shaker Pro has a bit more bass. High and mids sounded exactly the same. IMO, it's not worth extra cost.

OP
OP

lpe403

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT
Hearing both systems in person, the only difference is the Shaker Pro has a bit more bass. High and mids sounded exactly the same. IMO, it's not worth extra cost.
Thanks for the reply - that said, would an aftermarket sub make up for that difference?

Sponsored

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
Sounds like it's better and cheaper to get an aftermarket sub for $500 from Crutchfield than get it from Ford?

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
I hooked up with my cousin from Cali who has a GT350 with the 9 speaker system last week for a family gathering and he took my Ecoboost Premium Shaker out for a spin. He commented on how much better the Shaker sounds than his system. I haven't heard the premium 9 speaker sound system but I will take his word for it. The shaker system was 1700 in 2015 and came with other options besides the shaker system like blind spot monitor and cross traffic alert I believe.

I think the 12 speakers with the Shaker are different speakers than the premium (Shaker has12 polymer cone speakers vs 9 paper cone?). Aftermarket is always an option if you don't want the extras but you would need to update the entire system to beat the Shaker pro.

Last edited:

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I would also recommend going aftermarket. I have the standard "Shaker" 9 speaker premium system and it sounds like garbage.

I cant imagine two little subwoofers improve it much at all.

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
Thanks for the reply - that said, would an aftermarket sub make up for that difference?
Definitely. I believe the Shaker Pro sub is an 8" driver in a sealed plastic enclosure powered by ~50-75 watts RMS if it that. You could get a decent sealed 10" 200wrms system for ~$600 and it would destroy the stock sub.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro

Sponsored

Liberty1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Mustang Owner
I completely agree with aftermarket all the way around, you get to choose which products you want to run, better gauged cables, amp, speakers and sub. I have only heard the Shaker system briefly and to me I wouldn't spend the extra money for it when I am going to upgrade it all with aftermarket down the line... Good luck and keep us updated with your decision, I would like to see what you chose and why.

Me personally, a loud, hard hitting, clear/crisp stereo system is more important than any other mods done to the car. I spend majority of the time driving in my car and very much enjoy listening to music with a bitchN system. Pop open the doors, windows down and crank that sh*t up while your hanging out with some friends throwing around the ball or whatever occasion it may be that brings people together. Always my first mod done to any vehicle I have over had besides window tint lol....

I do not care for the BLIS or cross-traffic alert crap, I use my eyes and drive with due regard for people around me and always keep my situational awareness on high alert.

Last edited:

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I've gotten compliments on the sound, and I think it sounds great. Obviously it's not the best system out there, but if you don't feel like replacing speakers or adding a sub, and want to keep the OEM look, then it's worth it. I mainly wanted the cross-traffic alert and BLIS, which automatically came with the 12 speaker system. Combined, I think it's a great package for a daily driver. BLIS and cross-traffic help out a lot. I wish they would add cross traffic sensors to the front of the car as well.

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
The infotainment section is full of guys trying to upgrade their systems. These sound systems are complex and you should spend the time to reseach this if its important to you. There are no easy off the self solutions that I'm aware of.

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
I have the shaker w/sub and to me a lot of the sound quality is depending on the source. Regular FM sound is ok, HD FM is better. I had a Samsung phone and the sound was really good. On my iPhone it's good, but doesn't sound as good as the Samsung did. How and why it makes a difference I can't say. With that don't judge it based on FM or satellite radio.

I can't compare it to another Mustang, but our Explorer has the mid grade or 9 speaker system and its a noticeable difference.

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10