Sponsored

Digital dash

smann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
This might be a long shot.. But anyone think it'll be possible to swap out the '18 digital dash into our 15-18 mustangs?

Just curious.. I know no one has any real information about this but think it'll be a possibility ? :shrug:
Sponsored

thet33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT/6MT/3.55
Someone stated yes over in the infotainment section. Think the cost was around 2k

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
I believe that some MacGyver will come up with some way of making it happen. But I don't expect it to be done soon or even easily.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
All depends on what Ford changed in the 18 in terms of software. My hunch is that not much changed and the swap will be easier then some think but I could be wrong. I'm waiting for 2018 service and part information to be released in order to confirm or deny my theory.

If it does look to be possible and the cluster is not outrageously expensive (highly unlikely) then I will likely try to install it in my 15 auto. The biggest concern I have right now is how the cluster would handle displaying the 6 speed auto info when it's likely only designed to handle the 10 speed.

Sponsored

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I'm gonna bet it's a direct swap. It doesn't make sense for Ford to prevent the upgrade, particularly when the part is going to be so expensive.

Car manufacturers want vehicles to share as many parts and interfaces as possible. Example: the ECU in the Ecoboost is identical to the one in the GT. That's one less SKU to manage in their entire supply chain.

So I am betting that it will plug right in. The only question is: do the dash surround bits line up. Based on comparison photos, I don't think it will be an issue, but a retrofit might be required.

The bigger question: who is gonna have the balls to buy a cluster and try to swap it in.

stang1971

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Premium Plus Magnetic GT
This might be a long shot.. But anyone think it'll be possible to swap out the '18 digital dash into our 15-18 mustangs?

Just curious.. I know no one has any real information about this but think it'll be a possibility ? :shrug:
highly unlikely.... the 18 will have a new bcm

Tuxedomouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Grabber Blue Premium PP
I'd totally get on board if it works!

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Possible? Yes. Expensive? Yes.

Anything is possible by throwing enough money at it.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
highly unlikely.... the 18 will have a new bcm
Source? I doubt it will have a new BCM... Most likely it will have a recycled GT350 BCM with slightly different programming in order to control magnaride and exhaust. You have to remember that this is a mass produced vehicle... Ford is going to change as little as possible between generations and refreshes in order to keep costs down.

I bet the digital cluster will plug right up and work for the most part. The question will be what parts of the clusters software will not be compatible with 15-17 models and if that effects usability of the cluster. For a swap to be completed we will at least need the cluster and cluster trim. The dash trim from what I have seen appears to be the same as the 15-17 models.

Sponsored

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
I'm sure it is possible but who knows. No one has even messed with a GT350 cluster swap yet either. Once they start getting wrecked there will be plenty of them up on eBay.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
The digital cluster comes with new features like showing navigation information and a digital speedometer. Would be really interesting if the 2015-17 models would get that too when swapping the Cluster

sbrenskell

Waiting for OF
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stacie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Gt Premium FB Orange fury
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sure it is possible but who knows. No one has even messed with a GT350 cluster swap yet either. Once they start getting wrecked there will be plenty of them up on eBay.
Because of all those people who buy them and can't handle them. You should never buy a car you can't handle. Which is why when I get my '18 I will take it easy until I learn the car. I hope I like the digital cluster. All the videos I've seen of it looks pretty awesome. Can't wait to see it in person and get my car :D

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Because of all those people who buy them and can't handle them. You should never buy a car you can't handle. Which is why when I get my '18 I will take it easy until I learn the car. I hope I like the digital cluster. All the videos I've seen of it looks pretty awesome. Can't wait to see it in person and get my car :D
Oh I didn't mean it like that people are unfortunately just going to get into accidents no matter what and the cars will get totaled. A lot of cars get parted out and you can find a ton of gauge clusters on eBay for example. But yeah the digital cluster will be nice. A lot of people have been quiet about the stock cluster is terrible. At least the GT350 one is decent. I am just stunned no one has made even overlays minus some in KMH from China which are ugly.

I even changed my gauge faces on my Aveo.........
Sponsored