2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Keep in mind there isn't a governing body to regulate tire manufactures and their treadwear claims. The RE-71 is absolutely the fastest tire amongst the few mentioned in your post, however they also wear out much quicker than the rest. On that note, I have found that the RE-71R with a 200twr wears quicker than the NT01's, and those are considered an r-compound with a 100twr.

It really comes down to personal preferences, desired longevity, driving styles, location/weather etc. If performance/lap time is top of mind or you are competing in a class with a mandatory twr of 180+ or 200+, look no further than the RE-71R as others have mentioned. All of the top finishers will be on them. If you would like fantastic performance with more longevity, the Hankook RS-3 (now RS-4), Dunlop Star Spec ZII, and Yoko AD08R are all very good options. These tires will still be up to the task of repetitive lapping, put down some fast lap times in the right hands, and will most importantly outlast the RE-71R by a long shot. Some enthusiasts are more than willing to trade a small difference in lap time for almost double the life. BTW, the Star Specs have the best wet grip of the tires mentioned should you frequent HPDE's where rain is possible.

- Ryan
It seems between what I'm reading here on the forum, feedback from my competitors and my racer friends that the RE-71R is the way to go.

Thank you all! :cheers:

-Todd
Sponsored

tyshenry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT w/ PP
TysHenry, those are a 50 mm offset. Do you run a spacer on the front. You know my car, I'm on GT350 springs now and just ordered camber plates from Terry,

I'm going to order the SVE 350 wheels for next season, and want to fit 305 RE71's

Tim
Yes, I run a 20mm spacer up front, but I am on coilovers. A 20mm spacer can still be run upfront on stock style struts as long as you aren't using camber bolts in addition to the camber plates. If you want to add more camber than you can get from the Vorshlag plates, then I would run a 25mm spacer.

FYI, without camber bolts the max camber I get using vorshlag plates is -2.8*. I added camber bolts and am going to get another alignment next week.

And hi Tim! Assuming Boesche?

Check out this thread Stephen started to document our setups, clearances etc.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76670&highlight=19x11+square

qtrracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium PP Recaros; 86 GT 'Vert Pro-touring
I don't have dedicated track wheels, so my choice needed to be a compromise for dry/wet traction, road manners (i.e., noise) and longevity. The MPSS is very hard to beat. According to Tire Rack, the MPSS replacement MPS4S, is even better. I've run two track days and on auto-x as well as several weeks of DD an 85 mile round trip commute. I run an aggressive front and rear alignment settings. So far, the MPSS is amazing. Yes, not a Nationals tire but at locals it more than holds its own and the wear is phenomenal.

tyshenry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT w/ PP
I don't have dedicated track wheels, so my choice needed to be a compromise for dry/wet traction, road manners (i.e., noise) and longevity. The MPSS is very hard to beat. According to Tire Rack, the MPSS replacement MPS4S, is even better. I've run two track days and on auto-x as well as several weeks of DD an 85 mile round trip commute. I run an aggressive front and rear alignment settings. So far, the MPSS is amazing. Yes, not a Nationals tire but at locals it more than holds its own and the wear is phenomenal.
Agreed. If you have no other option than to run one set of wheels/tires, than you shouldn't be looking any further than the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. And if you want to save a bit of money and aren't concerned with ultimate traction in that category, the Continental ExtremeContact Sport should be your choice.

Personally, the Continental's will be my next set of street tires. Can't wait to get rid of the garbage NT555 G2's.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Personally, the Continental's will be my next set of street tires. Can't wait to get rid of the garbage NT555 G2's.
Thank you! Care to elaborate? Ive read so many mixed reviews on those. A lot of the positive feedback were from non-motorsport people though.

Sponsored

tyshenry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT w/ PP
Thank you! Care to elaborate? Ive read so many mixed reviews on those. A lot of the positive feedback were from non-motorsport people though.
Yep, I saw that same positive feedback and assumed they would be pretty good. But like you said, the feedback wasn't really coming from people with the correct frame of reference.

The tires sidewalls are very soft and the tread blocks flex way too much which leads to awful steering feel. So bad that honestly I can only imagine that it is somewhat like what running a bias ply drag tire is like (The sway that people describe. I personally haven't run bias ply slicks so I have no idea). Taking a fast bumpy sweeper can be a truly scary experience anywhere near the limit.

The actual amount of grip is fine. They aren't all that sticky, but I knew that going into it. And it looks like they are going to last forever. Blessing and a curse I guess right?

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Yep, I saw that same positive feedback and assumed they would be pretty good. But like you said, the feedback wasn't really coming from people with the correct frame of reference.

The tires sidewalls are very soft and the tread blocks flex way too much which leads to awful steering feel. So bad that honestly I can only imagine that it is somewhat like what running a bias ply drag tire is like (The sway that people describe. I personally haven't run bias ply slicks so I have no idea). Taking a fast bumpy sweeper can be a truly scary experience anywhere near the limit.

The actual amount of grip is fine. They aren't all that sticky, but I knew that going into it. And it looks like they are going to last forever. Blessing and a curse I guess right?
Interesting, thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:
Sponsored