Sponsored

170 deg thermostat..anybody have one??

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
How's the install? Do I need to drain all the coolant?
Extremely easy, just replace what coolant you lose. No need to drain it all out. The t-stat housing is right on top (near the throttle body) and easy to access. Depending on your type of induction tubing, you might not even need to remove your intake piping.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, Recaros/2014 Explorer Sport 4X4
Where did I say that it will?

What's wrong with the engine operating with it's factory T-stat? The car doesn't overheat. If it does overheat from heavy track use on a hot day, the OEM thermostat will be 100% open, and so will a 170* thermostat, so the lower stat won't improve the cooling ability of your system. It will just make it run cooler on the street which is unnecessary. It's a pointless mod.
Earlier this year I went too a track day temps over 100 degress outside, car went up to 240 quick and from there went to 260 near 15mins had to pit as the car went into limp mode. A month later after a tune adjustment for the fans to come on earlier for the Reicshe 170 thermostat head Temps stayed around 205 degrees it was also another day over 100 degrees outside stayed out for 30mins no limp mode issues. I was very skeptical about getting the thermostat but was sold after the results. It's a solid product.

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Earlier this year I went too a track day temps over 100 degress outside, car went up to 240 quick and from there went to 260 near 15mins had to pit as the car went into limp mode. A month later after a tune adjustment for the fans to come on earlier for the Reicshe 170 thermostat head Temps stayed around 205 degrees it was also another day over 100 degrees outside stayed out for 30mins no limp mode issues. I was very skeptical about getting the thermostat but was sold after the results. It's a solid product.
The programming of the fans must be the reason for the difference (which I'm surprised would make a difference to begin with) since at 240-260*F, both the OEM and your 170*F thermostats are fully open and not bypassing the radiator, and your cooling system will perform identically because in both cases, the circuits are open and you're limited by the cooling ability of the radiator.

SquillyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang V6
Extremely easy, just replace what coolant you lose. No need to drain it all out. The t-stat housing is right on top (near the throttle body) and easy to access. Depending on your type of induction tubing, you might not even need to remove your intake piping.
Ok so just undo the housing and swap it out? No need to drain it from under the car? Or do I actually drain it from somewhere. Lol sorry for all the questions. As u can tell I'm mechanically challenged :frusty:

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
Ok so just undo the housing and swap it out? No need to drain it from under the car? Or do I actually drain it from somewhere. Lol sorry for all the questions. As u can tell I'm mechanically challenged :frusty:
Sorry for the late response. No problem, we all start from somewhere. No, just replace what coolant is spilled on the ground (as it would be hard to catch anyways). Yep undo the housing and swap. Make sure the t-stat is not being installed in the wrong direction. Top off what coolant is lost using Motorcraft Orange or Prestone GM Dexcool (they are the same coolant in a different bottle).

Sponsored

s550v6

Mike
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6
Quick question...will these do anything without a tune? Not planning on tuning for another year or so but with my new intake set up i am seeing higher temps.

sublimaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Quick question...will these do anything without a tune? Not planning on tuning for another year or so but with my new intake set up i am seeing higher temps.
A tune is not mandatory for it to work. However, reprogramming the fan control is required to make the most of it. If you don't do that, then you are wasting money buying it.

OP
OP
fordguys550

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
A tune is not mandatory for it to work. However, reprogramming the fan control is required to make the most of it. If you don't do that, then you are wasting money buying it.

not really...around town, or stuck in traffic sure. but as long as the car is moving, im seeing head temps in the high 170s, low 180s. (compared to 205-210 from before) remember, the v6 has the same radiator as the 5.0....we don't get as hot so quickly with that big ol radiator meant for the 5.0..even when driven hard up canyons, I never go past 185. if you want the car to run under 190 at all times, yeah, your going to need the tune adjusted

s550v6

Mike
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6
not really...around town, or stuck in traffic sure. but as long as the car is moving, im seeing head temps in the high 170s, low 180s. (compared to 205-210 from before) remember, the v6 has the same radiator as the 5.0....we don't get as hot so quickly with that big ol radiator meant for the 5.0..even when driven hard up canyons, I never go past 185. if you want the car to run under 190 at all times, yeah, your going to need the tune adjusted
Hey fordguys550! Do you think the 170 Tstat would be fine for a Northeast winter? I can’t imagine why it would be a problem since it just opens up the coolant earlier but you seem to have a solid understanding of this! Thanks!

OP
OP
fordguys550

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
well, your coolant probably wont get over 170 in the cold of winter. just means the oil will take longer to warm up, and it will run a little rich until its all warm. gets into the 20s-30s sometimes teens where I live. my temps never stay below 175

Sponsored

s550v6

Mike
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6
Alright I have a question about these but it may be a stupid one...I’m going to ask anyways. If Ford says the engines ideal operating temperature is 190-200 F is it safe for the engine to run at 175-185 F like most people report? Will it wear faster or stay stuck in “warm up” mode?

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
You realize before emissions controls engines never came from the factory with 195 thermostats? The engineers since the early 70's had to raise the engine temperatures as part of their methods of meeting the standards. There is nothing wroing with the 175 to 185 range.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
So other then the obvious track benefits, does anyone see a difference in street driving? I understand that lower CHTs allow for more timing in the tune but is it a noticeable difference in power or not? My car does not see much of any track time so I am wondering if this 170 thermostat will be useful for the street.

s550v6

Mike
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6
You realize before emissions controls engines never came from the factory with 195 thermostats? The engineers since the early 70's had to raise the engine temperatures as part of their methods of meeting the standards. There is nothing wroing with the 175 to 185 range.
Nope didn’t realize that

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
The previous poster was correct. The ONLY reason for the 195 and higher temp thermostats was emissions. That's it. Higher temps tend to burn off more of the measured 'by products' produced by an internal combustion engine.

From a performance standpoint in a modern EFI system the lower temp thermostat will almost always gain some power. Reason being lower engine temps = denser air / fuel charge. That's oversimplifying it but it still hold true.

Also less heat means more resistance to spark knock. When the ECM detects spark knock it pulls (retards) timing which reduces power everything else being equal.

The thermostat is often misunderstood. 170 degree thermostat doesn't mean the engine runs at 170 degrees. It simply means at 170 degrees the thermostat (Closed by default) OPENS, allowing engine coolant to circulate through the engine and cooling system - thus allowing the radiator to do it's job and cool the fluid passing through it.

Most engines / cooling systems have a design threshold (for lack of a better term) so they will pretty much hold the same temp (all other things being equal such as how it's being driven, outside temp, humidity etc) REGARDLESS of thermostat temperature.

The thermostat actually starts CLOSED on a cold engine and this allows the engine to reach operating temperature (better efficiency, able to enter closed loop, better emissions etc) faster.

The cooling fans and the temp they cut on, really doesn't effect this either. Again, the thermostat OPENS at the temp its rated for.

The best modification for power at the track - for a street car in regards to temperature - is having a manual switch to engage the cooling fans. That way you don't have to wait until the programmed temp, you can turn them on while sitting with the engine off in the staging lanes etc.

In theory a properly functioning cooling system could run a bit cooler with a lower temp thermostat, but the power benefit is minimal UNLESS that engine is tuned to take advantage of it and give the engine more timing which the vast majority of the time means more power.
Sponsored