Track True Coilover spring rates

eric2d3d

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I am just wanting to know what everyone is running for spring rates on true coilovers? My current setup is Ridetech level 2 coilovers and I am running 400lb front and 750lb rear I feel like the car is still under sprung. What is everyone's Spring rates?
Sponsored

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
Undersprung? Wow... I'm running the same coilovers. I upped the spring rates 50 lbs when I ordered them to 350 front and 450 rear since I go to the track. I'm still dialing things in and will be going to a 19x11 square setup soon, but I'm not to the point of going higher yet.

OP
OP

eric2d3d

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I just talked to a few company's that race the s550 they said I should jump up to a 600 to 700 pound front spring they said stay no more then 150lb split front to back.

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I am just wanting to know what everyone is running for spring rates on true coilovers? My current setup is Ridetech level 2 coilovers and I am running 400lb front and 750lb rear I feel like the car is still under sprung. What is everyone's Spring rates?
What bar rates are you running?
What ride height and rake are your running?
What aero mods do you have or plan to run?
What are your shock settings?
What tire are you running?

I am running the RideTech's as well and I am still playing with rates but really like were the car is right now. I started with 400F/600R and the car was way to soft. I am running 550F and 700R with the largest front bar I could find set on its softest setting. I am still running the PP rear bar but I drilled the bar 1" stiffer. I think the car could use a little more rear bar and a little more rear spring but I do not want to make the change because the rear is so planted now and the car has zero issues getting off the corners. When it does get loose it is so forgiving and very easy to recover. If anything the car has a slight tendency to push at the limits, but I can also make it rotate very well on corner entry by trail braking.

The car is really very neutral, but it will push or get loose depending on driver inputs. Everyone likes a different setup so you may have to play with the rates to find what you like. Good thing springs are cheap and easy to change.

My setup is a track only car so you have to factor that into your calculations and has had a lot of work done to reduce weight and move weight from the front to the back whenever possible, I would not want to run this setup on the street at all.

Dave

OP
OP

eric2d3d

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Front sway bar rates are

P1:*65 N/mm (372 lbs/in)
P2:*83 N/mm (475 lbs/in)
P3:*90 N/mm (515 lbs/in)

Rear bar rates are

P1:*35 N/mm (198 lbs/in)
P2:*41 N/mm (234 lbs/in)
P3:*50 N/mm (285 lbs/in)

Aero mods on the car are Kognition designs wing 68" long 10" cord, Front splitter stickers out 5" from the oem PP lip, AJ Hartman canard.

I don't have my laptop with all my car settings so rideheight and rake I'm not sure at this time.

Shock settings are 6 clicks from full stiff front and 4 clicks from stiff rear.

Also the car is a track only car.

Sponsored

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Front sway bar rates are

P1:*65 N/mm (372 lbs/in)
P2:*83 N/mm (475 lbs/in)
P3:*90 N/mm (515 lbs/in)

Rear bar rates are

P1:*35 N/mm (198 lbs/in)
P2:*41 N/mm (234 lbs/in)
P3:*50 N/mm (285 lbs/in)

Aero mods on the car are Kognition designs wing 68" long 10" cord, Front splitter stickers out 5" from the oem PP lip, AJ Hartman canard.

I don't have my laptop with all my car settings so rideheight and rake I'm not sure at this time.

Shock settings are 6 clicks from full stiff front and 4 clicks from stiff rear.

Also the car is a track only car.
We are running very, very similar setups, you have a lot more rear wing than I have and that will certainly play into the needed spring rate for the rear.

Curious as to what your impressions are of how the car handles with your setup. What is the car doing that makes it feel under sprung?

Dave

OP
OP

eric2d3d

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
We are running very, very similar setups, you have a lot more rear wing than I have and that will certainly play into the needed spring rate for the rear.

Curious as to what your impressions are of how the car handles with your setup. What is the car doing that makes it feel under sprung?

Dave
The car seems very stable in the rear. But the front feels like it dives into braking zones and the front seems to roll in corners. My biggest issue is my front shocks bottom out quite often on track even when I don't hit curbing.

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
The car seems very stable in the rear. But the front feels like it dives into braking zones and the front seems to roll in corners. My biggest issue is my front shocks bottom out quite often on track even when I don't hit curbing.
Without knowing your ride height I am guessing a lot here but if you are running out of shock travel in the front I would try a higher spring rate in the front to try and limit the dive while braking. It will also help with the front roll. As your spring rates increase you may have to soften the bar to maintain a balance.

I did end up using a shorter spring and adding a helper spring, this allowed me to get back to a lower ride height as I increased the spring rates. I added a spring keeper and a tender spring to keep the spring in place when the suspension is at full droop.

Here is a pic of the new setup.

Dave
IMG_4063.jpg

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
Are you guys getting by OK with the eccentric bolt adjustment for front camber? I really wish the front would allow for camber plates. I will be going to a 19x11 front soon and I'm a little concerned about strut clearance with negative camber dialed in.

OP
OP

eric2d3d

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Are you guys getting by OK with the eccentric bolt adjustment for front camber? I really wish the front would allow for camber plates. I will be going to a 19x11 front soon and I'm a little concerned about strut clearance with negative camber dialed in.
I am running a combination of the eccentric bolts and Vorshlag Camber Caster plates I am also running -3.5 degrees of negative camber.

Sponsored
OP
OP

eric2d3d

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
NVUS6935.jpg

as you can see from the photo it has a lot of front roll and is compressing the front shock alot

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
I am running a combination of the eccentric bolts and Vorshlag Camber Caster plates I am also running -3.5 degrees of negative camber.
Interesting..... I'm definitely interested in this! Did you have to adapt the upper mount in some way? I was told by RideTech that the front struts would not mount properly to caster/camber plates.

OP
OP

eric2d3d

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vorshlag makes a camber caster plate for the Ridetech coilovers they completely replace the upper mount.

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
Vorshlag makes a camber caster plate for the Ridetech coilovers they completely replace the upper mount.
That's great news as I had no idea! Thanks for passing along the info Eric. I will be contacting them today to get a price an more info. :cheers:

Your car looks great, by the way. I would like to go all out like that, but I do drive mine on the street as a second car and need to find a balance between the track and some comfort on the street.
Sponsored