2016 Mustang GT Airaid CAI Install question

Leviathan_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Coyote Chris
Vehicle(s)
Guard Metallic 2016 Mustang GT Prem w/Perf. Pack
Hey Everyone, I just installed the Airaid MXP CAI on my 5.0 and forgot to unplug the negative battery terminal. Now the car idles different and when I give it gas it kinda sputters. I've read couple ways to resolve this such as unplugging the negative terminal for 30 min. and restarting, or going through an "Idle Re-learn" process, but I would like a little more input first and greatly appreciate it.
Sponsored

Falconetti

cash me outside howbow da
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1, 1994 SVT COBRA
From the American Muscle website page:

Airaid MXP CAI
Required Upgrade. Installation of this Cold Air Intake will require the use of a Mustang Handheld Tuner to reprogram the vehicles computer (ECU) for operation.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Is it possible that it's leaking air somewhere past the MAF?

OP
OP
Leviathan_5.0

Leviathan_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Coyote Chris
Vehicle(s)
no its not leaking air. it idles good at 14:1, but when I get on it, the car leans out and the A/F ratio jumps between 15-16:1. Also when I shut the car off after its warmed up, and re-start it, it sounds like its struggling. I've tried resetting the ECU a couple times, but the car doesnt seem to like it.
I decided to put the factory air box back on until I can get it properly tuned.

This is the link for the Airaid MXP CAI: https://www.americanmuscle.com/airaid-synthamax-cai-15gt.html

Sponsored

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Wonder if they sent you the wrong one that requires a tune. Check the inside of the MAF area. There should be an insert to make the diameter the same as stock.

If there's no insert then you've got the "tune required" version.

OP
OP
Leviathan_5.0

Leviathan_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Coyote Chris
Vehicle(s)
yes it came with the insert, I think its just how they market because" technically" you can run the CAI w/out a tune but it doesnt run as good. it would help if I know the stock airbox tube size vs the airaid intake tube size. I'm pretty sure the airaid is 105 mm, but i cant find the stock intake specs anywhwere.l If any of you know the stock intake specs, I'd really apprec it

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
yes it came with the insert, I think its just how they market because" technically" you can run the CAI w/out a tune but it doesnt run as good. it would help if I know the stock airbox tube size vs the airaid intake tube size. I'm pretty sure the airaid is 105 mm, but i cant find the stock intake specs anywhwere.l If any of you know the stock intake specs, I'd really apprec it
85 mm.

OP
OP
Leviathan_5.0

Leviathan_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Coyote Chris
Vehicle(s)
Airaid MXP Cold Air Intake tube size

Does anyone know the Airaid intake tube size? I cant find the answer anywhere. I know PMAS has a 120mm, and I'm trying to compare differnt brands and their sizes

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
I had an air raid intake with the insert installed on my car and it ran just as good as stock if not better. This intake is meant to be a stock replacement as the MVT keeps the MAF signal the same. I actually noticed increased throttle response vs stock.

The no tune intake has a MVT (modular venturi tube) in the end of the elbow that connects to the air box. If the tube is in there you wont be able to fit your arm in there unless your skeletor.

Without the MVT you can easily fit your arm in the tube unless your hulk hogan.

Either you have a VAC leak somewhere, your intake tube doesn't have the MVT or something else is amiss.

Take a pic inside of the elbow and post it here.

Sponsored

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Does anyone know the Airaid intake tube size? I cant find the answer anywhere. I know PMAS has a 120mm, and I'm trying to compare differnt brands and their sizes
I can measure my spare one when I get home from work. (airraid)

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
I just tried my best to measure the openings and here is what I got for ya. These should be accurate to +/- 2 mm. These are all inside diameters. Not sure how the manufacturer measures them or where they take the measurement from but this should help you hopefully.

Throttle body side opening is 96mm

The air box side with the MVT is 89mm at the smallest part of the MVT near the maf sensor and 96mm at the opening to the tube.

With the MVT removed the opening is 112mm on the airbox side. The opening may even be a little bit bigger but the elbow with the MVT removed is installed on my car so I had to guestimate a bit where the opening was using my extra elbow that still had the MVT installed.

That's a whole lot of MVT lol

OP
OP
Leviathan_5.0

Leviathan_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Coyote Chris
Vehicle(s)
I just tried my best to measure the openings and here is what I got for ya. These should be accurate to +/- 2 mm. These are all inside diameters. Not sure how the manufacturer measures them or where they take the measurement from but this should help you hopefully.

Throttle body side opening is 96mm

The air box side with the MVT is 89mm at the smallest part of the MVT near the maf sensor and 96mm at the opening to the tube.

With the MVT removed the opening is 112mm on the airbox side. The opening may even be a little bit bigger but the elbow with the MVT removed is installed on my car so I had to guestimate a bit where the opening was using my extra elbow that still had the MVT installed.

That's a whole lot of MVT lol
Thanks I really appreciate you taking the time to measure it. The DB's at Am. Muscle wouldnt even measure it and theyre getting paid lol.

Does the Airaid MXP for the 2015+ 5.0 have a removeable MVT? the morons at Am. muscle dont know that either.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Thanks I really appreciate you taking the time to measure it. The DB's at Am. Muscle wouldnt even measure it and theyre getting paid lol.

Does the Airaid MXP for the 2015+ 5.0 have a removeable MVT? the morons at Am. muscle dont know that either.
No they don't. They either have the MVT moulded into the tube or it doesn't have it. It can be removed with a Dremel though.
Sponsored