Sponsored

Structural Integrity Question

stangbuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT Convertible
Hello all! This site is great reading and I love a section devoted specifically to convertibles. Background...I’m debating selling my ’13 GT convertible for a similar ’16 or ’17. The doors on my ’13 rattle on their posts (with the top down) when going over rough surfaces. I’m referring to the actual doors themselves moving not anything inside them rattling. I first experienced this issue with a ’01 Cobra convertible; it was so bad it caused me to sell the car. I bought a ’05 GT convertible next and it was rock solid. I have regretted selling it ever since the issue reappeared with my ’13. I have had Ford dealerships check both cars out; they adjusted the doors as tight to the body as possible/to spec but nothing rectified the problem.

The question I have which is particularly for those who live in the northern climates where the roads tend to be pot holed, washboard like, or just generally less than silky smooth. Have any of you had or heard of a similar issue with the new body style? I see the extra bracing Ford installed on the S550 'verts and it gives me reason for pause. I am wondering if it’s a band aid approach to stiffening the body. I’d appreciate any feedback received as I’ve fallen in love with a couple cars for sale and have already started modding them. ;) Thank you in advance for any input received.
Sponsored

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
Stangbuff

Here's my two cents:
Be sure you have both the upper strut brace and upper K-brace installed. This will provide needed firmness.

In addition, I recommend a lower brace. There are at least 2 good brand on the market.

Personally, I went simple and bought the Steeda S550 Ford Mustang Ultralite 2-Point G-Trac Braces 555-5533 that attaches in 2 points.

The car points into the corner tighter and I feel it helps keep it firmer.

They also make a Steeda Extreme G-Trac K-Member Brace that attaches in 4 places.

Keep in mind that jacking rails are a nice addition, but there is no claim they actually increase chassis rigidity as they only attach at the front and rear.

Thanks

CVCashmere

DANA44

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 convertible
The independent rear suspension helps absorb Road irregularities. Haven't had any issues with my doors. There are road conditions that I wouldn't drive speeds as I would with the pickup.
Under the right conditions there can be a bounce in the rear with Expansion Joints on the highway.

RangemasterP226

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible
My 2017 GT Convertible is rock solid on these crappy CA roads. And I have no aftermarket add ons. Do it.

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
I've only got just over ten k on mine. That said it's been solid. Much more so then my 2001 vert. But let's be honest, these doors are huge, long and heavy. So who knows over time? Gravity works 24/7. I gotta tell you though, I couldn't be happier with this car to this point.

Sponsored

OP
OP

stangbuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I appreciate the feedback and input. My ’01 Cobra had an IRS like the S550 platform. The factory sub-frame connectors were a joke and I replaced them with a pair of robust aftermarket pieces. To this day I don’t know whether they helped or actually made the problem worse. The S-197 was a quantum leap from the SN95, I’m hoping the S550 is a similar advancement.

I came across the Steeda braces in another thread here and have been looking at both the 2 and 4 point braces, ditto the jacking rails. The cars I’m currently looking at both have the 20” wheels which I’m certain aren’t going to help soften the ride any (easily replaced however). Good point about the size and weight of the doors however my '13 was ordered new and the problem showed up with less than 1,000 miles on it.

I guess I’ll have to ponder it a bit more before making a decision. Perhaps I’ll be able to road test cars on rough surfaces and put them through their paces. Thanks again for the responses.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
I have almost 35k on mine, and drive on very irregular roads. I know everyone's tolerance for such things is different, but I have noticed no rattling or anything, car has been rock solid. I also have not noticed any major cowl shake or anything like that either top up or top down. My car is fully stock, with the 50th anniversary it has the 19" wheels but not performance pack.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
The s550 doesnt even feel like a convertible to me. Leaps ahead of the s197.

Road Dog

Really Smart Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
No issues here...

When I got my 16' I added the BMR Subframe CB006. The car has the Strut brace and the K frame brace as stock equipment. Then I lucked up and won a set of jacking rails here on the site. The car is solid, no issues at all. And I don't expect any. :ford:

JohnDoe

<3 short walks to my car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 pp vert
Comparing my current 2015 to my previous 2012 convertible, the 6th gen is a world's difference and I've been driving through the worst NYC roads for years now.
I know the rattles and squeaks you're referring to, and it's near non existent compared to the previous gen.
This has been my DD since April 2015

OP
OP

stangbuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Comparing my current 2015 to my previous 2012 convertible, the 6th gen is a world's difference and I've been driving through the worst NYC roads for years now. I know the rattles and squeaks you're referring to, and it's near non existent compared to the previous gen.
This has been my DD since April 2015
Thank you, I appreciate the information.
Sponsored