Vato

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Saleen White Label
Vehicle Showcase
My son owns a 2016 Focus SE. I borrowed his car this past weekend and realized the driving dynamics were better than my Mustang. Driving straight was the biggest difference.

The stang finds it hard to drive straight. Today I confirmed it since there was no traffic to work. I feel more comfortable with two hands on 9 and 3 positions. The Focus was so easy to maneuver with just my left hand. No wrestling the steering wheel.

The difference in tire size between the Stang and Focus is substantial. I wonder if the width is what's affecting the driveability. I believe the stang tends to track more. The stang is running Continental Extreme Contact 275/35 front and 275/40 rear. The Focus is running stock 215/50 all around. The wheels are staggered on the stang 20x9 front and 20x10 rear. The Focus has a square setup.

Any of you find yourselves wrestling the stang at hwy speeds?
Sponsored

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
When was the last time you had a good 4 wheel alignment?

Every time I get an alignment, it is very noticeable on all my past cars.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Wide tires follow the road imperfections more.

And on PP cars, it's really bad. My front tires are now 1/2 worn and wondering all over the road.

Skinny tires are great for the straight ahead.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
ā€œTramlining is the tendency of a vehicle's wheels to follow the contours in the surface upon which it runs. The term comes from the tendency of a car's wheels to follow the normally recessed rails of street trams, without driver input in the same way that the train does.ā€

The wider the tires the more you feel it. Itā€™s a trade off when you go wide.

Zero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
As others said, it's the tires.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
Taller skinnier tires ride better. Its a huge difference on my GT when I take off the 19x10/11's for the stock 18x8 with 235's, car rides way better on the highway. That's the price you pay for more traction and handling plus looking cool.

Not to mention you're comparing to a much lighter FWD car.

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
I went to 18"s and love it. Car rides and drives so much better. They just don't look as good.

Last edited:

keiths2kgt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Mustang GT PP 50th AP
I donā€™t ever have to wrestle mine around during daily driving and highway speeds. Running stock PP rims and stock tire sizes

Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I sold my ā€˜15 GT and drive a Focus SE....

Donā€™t be like me.

Sold my 5.0 and got a station wagon. My transgression is in another universe compared to you. I laugh at your admission and the Focus SE is a fun car!

I think the OPs biggest problem is the 275s on the front. Simple as that.

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SRT Hellcat A8, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
My son owns a 2016 Focus SE. I borrowed his car this past weekend and realized the driving dynamics were better than my Mustang. Driving straight was the biggest difference.

The stang finds it hard to drive straight. Today I confirmed it since there was no traffic to work. I feel more comfortable with two hands on 9 and 3 positions. The Focus was so easy to maneuver with just my left hand. No wrestling the steering wheel.

The difference in tire size between the Stang and Focus is substantial. I wonder if the width is what's affecting the driveability. I believe the stang tends to track more. The stang is running Continental Extreme Contact 275/35 front and 275/40 rear. The Focus is running stock 215/50 all around. The wheels are staggered on the stang 20x9 front and 20x10 rear. The Focus has a square setup.

Best of both worlds, Focus RS? :shrug:

Iā€™ve owned 3 coyote stangs and 2 had alignment issues since new the dealer couldnā€™t figure out..

I had a rental focus for a week that was fairly fun but certainly no mustang. I can have fun with pretty much any car however.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT

I'm confused. I'm a "little old guy" with a stock 15 GT PP on oem wheels/tires. Steering is fine even in Sport mode. In either Normal or Comfort it becomes even easier to steer. Alignment is in the middle of oem specs with a little bit of additional negative camber in the front but that mad no difference in "feel".

stangs-R-me

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
1969 GT & 2016 EB Mustangs
I've got a 2016 Ecoboost with the stock 18" wheels & 235/50-18 Goodyear tires. Hit a retread on the interstate early October that did $2500 in damage so I ended up driving my son's 2013 Focus SE (215/55-16 tires) for 5 weeks until it finally got fixed. After 400 miles a week I can say the Focus was/is a good driving car, but when I got back into the Stang it was such a huge relief. It just rides and drives so much better than that Focus and the seat/driving position is much more comfortable too.

If your "Mustang GT" was a Base or Premium with the std. 18" wheel & tire package, I think your Mustang vs. Focus drive-ability opinion would be the same as mine.

Instead you have a maxed out Saleen (formerly a Mustang GT) which sounds like it is more set up for a road course than Daily Driver use.

As DickR stated above, it sounds like a stock Performance Package GT could very well be a more comfortable "road car" than that Focus too.

Doug

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
Mine son has a Focus ST. It is fun, plenty of power, and drivers like it's on rails, but my GT with 19in non-PP wheels is more comfortable. If you're intention was to trade your car, for a Focus SE I think you'd regret it a few weeks in.
Sponsored