Sponsored

Flashing CEL on my 2017 Mustang. AGAIN!

Bsingh897

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
Ok guys, thanks in advance for taking your time to look. Here is the situation:

Car is Roush Superchared pre-installed from dealer when it was new. Car has less than 5000 miles.

My first issue with the car happened around 1200 Miles. I was around 6k Rpm right under red line and CEL starts to flash then becomes solid. Long story short I took it to the dealer which took them almost a whole month trying to diagnose and they found out it was a bad fuel injector. They replaced it, tested it, cleared the codes and the car was back to me.

Around 2.5k miles, I felt good about the car and decidedly to install Roush Phase 2 and Borla Cat Back ATAK system. It was installed
By same dealer who fixed my car.

Next issue is car randomly blowing thick white smoke during startup. This happens very random. Brought it to the dealer and they have done multiple checks for leaks but cannot find andything and cannot replicate problem
So they told me to not worry about it. (Issue unresolved)

Now today around 4.5k miles, I entered the freeway and was on 3rd gear doing 70ish 6K RPM, THEN CEL COMES ON and starts flashing for a few seconds then goes away. At this point I’m really frustratedly because it looks like I’m getting the same misfire problem before. The wierd thing is that the CEL light is gone from my dash after flashing for a few seconds. I can attempt to replicate it by doing a pull but don’t want to risk it.

I plan to bring it to the dealer soon, I was just hoping to get some information and suggestions. Also this is random but I ride around less than quarter tank even under 50 miles worth of gas. I’m not sure if this affects anything as I was just recently told it’s bad to ride around boosted in near empty tank.
Sponsored

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
its prob still stored in the obd. if it flashed then went away ..you could prob just go to autozone or somewhere and have then scan it and see if the code stored..yeah i dont let my tank get under a 1/4 at all .. have you done many drive cycles since it popped up?

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
Yea u want to check the pcm codes will be stored in their.Also try filling the car up and drive around not being on empty.This may take care of your problem.

OP
OP

Bsingh897

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
its prob still stored in the obd. if it flashed then went away ..you could prob just go to autozone or somewhere and have then scan it and see if the code stored..yeah i dont let my tank get under a 1/4 at all .. have you done many drive cycles since it popped up?
Yep I have done many cycles

Sponsored

jbird60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Agreed on keeping the tank a bit more full, but only to an extent. Yes, sloshing at low fuel levels can pull fuel away from the sender, but there's usually a reserve amount left that should keep you going without issue (unless you're in the middle of a really long sustained acceleration with very little fuel).

When the CEL flashed, did you feel a vibration or shudder that could be associated with misfire?

OP
OP

Bsingh897

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
Agreed on keeping the tank a bit more full, but only to an extent. Yes, sloshing at low fuel levels can pull fuel away from the sender, but there's usually a reserve amount left that should keep you going without issue (unless you're in the middle of a really long sustained acceleration with very little fuel).

When the CEL flashed, did you feel a vibration or shudder that could be associated with misfire?
No not all, it ran fine. It flashed and went away. Few hours after, I even did a light pull and everything ran fine. I even filled the tank. It will only flash if I keep it little over 6k RPM For a few seconds and it will start to flash BUT I don’t feel any symptoms of misfire. I just switch the gears and eventually it will stop misfire. The vehicle is with the dealer now. Any ideas what could be wrong?

OP
OP

Bsingh897

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
Just heard back from my dealer and it looks like there’s an Oil leak somewhere. They are communicating with Ford to get a green light to open the motor and also visually inspect block, valve etc. Really suck this had to happen on a 2017 Mustang with less than 4K Miles.

FordTechOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cobra
Just heard back from my dealer and it looks like there’s an Oil leak somewhere. They are communicating with Ford to get a green light to open the motor and also visually inspect block, valve etc. Really suck this had to happen on a 2017 Mustang with less than 4K Miles.
You bought a car with a Roush Supercharger...that means your factory warranty is void; any powertrain warranty you have left is through the dealer or Roush. It has nothing to do with Ford; they don't sell '15+ Supercharged Mustangs from the factory.

For that reason, there is no reason that the dealer should be contacting Ford regarding your issue. If they are attempting to get Ford warranty approval to open the engine and pay for it, they are committing warranty fraud, which is serious enough to land people in jail.

The dealer and Roush need to take care of the issue even if that means paying out of their own pockets. Powertrain issues on Roush supercharged vehicles are not the manufacturers responsibility.

OP
OP

Bsingh897

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
You bought a car with a Roush Supercharger...that means your factory warranty is void; any powertrain warranty you have left is through the dealer or Roush. It has nothing to do with Ford; they don't sell '15+ Supercharged Mustangs from the factory.

For that reason, there is no reason that the dealer should be contacting Ford regarding your issue. If they are attempting to get Ford warranty approval to open the engine and pay for it, they are committing warranty fraud, which is serious enough to land people in jail.

The dealer and Roush need to take care of the issue even if that means paying out of their own pockets. Powertrain issues on Roush supercharged vehicles are not the manufacturers responsibility.
Correct. I believe all techs are just getting instructions on what to do next etc. The dealer is taking care of me though.
Sponsored