Sponsored

MPT Tune Officially out

gov cheese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7 051A Guard
MPT $50 discount kicked me off the fence. Tuner ordered with 3 MPT tunes.

Since a lot of stations here only carry 92 octane, going with 91 PRX and 87-89 PRX tunes. Still need one more tune and thinking about the "any octane tune".

What is the word on the "any octane tune"?
Sponsored

TURTL3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LB Mustang 3.7 6MT
From what I remember, it's inferior to the 91 or 93. Really, the 3 tunes are a nice deal and all but you probably only ever need two. Your 91 and 87/89 tunes should really be all you need. The third tune is just a nice bonus.

Why not get 93 anyway? What if you move? Go on vacation where there's 93? Would be nice to have the option since you'll have the other octanes covered as well.

TURTL3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LB Mustang 3.7 6MT
I just got my SCT X4 tuner with 3 MPT tunes. Went step by step and checked my tuner for any needed up dates and the updater says it's all up to date. Go to put the tune on the car and select the 93 PRX tune and seats GENERAL ERROR 110AD ADDITIONAL UPDATE REQUIRED. So I try the other 2 MPT tunes and get the same response. Tried the canned SCT V6Mustang tune and it says GENERAL ERROR 110AE ADDITIONAL UPDATE REQUIRED. Take the tuner off the car plug it back in to the computer and it says everything is up to date. So I tried updating via WiFi. Tells me the Firmware is up to date, Tune revision is up to date it then craps out on the next update item and forces me to cancel the update. I even sent two emails to SCT's Weekend Emergency Tech, one yesterday and one today. Must not be a bit enough "emergency" to warrant a response. Have no idea what to do now and both SCT and MPT are closed until Monday. Can't find much online about it either. Anyone have suggestions? Just wait till Monday?

I just tried the can tune while I wait for my MPT ones and had the same issue. It was quite the bummer. I have a feeling the firmware my need to be rolled back but I don't know for sure.

Sponsored

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
You guys used the SCTdeviceupdater.exe? I remember I had issues and I forget if I used the one from MPT's site or if I went to SCT's website.

TURTL3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LB Mustang 3.7 6MT
Yea I used that .exe from sctflash.com. I'm reading on the F150 forum that the guys/girls who had the samw issue had to get a stock base tune from SCT that needed to be manually loaded onto the device. Some of the 2016-2017 V6 model's strategy numbers aren't in SCT's database yet so you need you may need to request a stock map from SCT. I will contact SCT tomorrow and see what they say.

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
I just went and looked up the error. It seems the best way is to contact SCT. Total bummer but I assure you that it is worth the trouble.

gov cheese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7 051A Guard
I don't have my MPT yet will get by e-mail soon...

I had the same error:

Steps i went thru from unbox to tune. Mileage may vary but this worked for me.

1. Installed the sct device updater on computer
2. Used the sct "device updater" to update sct tuner to latest version.
3. plugged into car to get info MPT needs to create my tunes
4. tried to upload sct canned "87" tune and got error 110AD
5. connected sct to computer via USB and re-ran the check for updates again
6. Now i am able to load the sct canned tune. even added 10% to shifts
7. backed up stock file to my computer

now just waiting for MPT tunes

NOTE: Cluster losing power i guess is normal but it freaked me out for a bit. It turns back on after tune is loaded.

TURTL3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LB Mustang 3.7 6MT
I followed Gov Cheese's method and it worked. Getting ready to test out the 93 can tune. Just submitted my tune form to MPT. I hope SCT gets it sorted out for you Vengeful.

EDIT: So I went out and put some miles on the SCT 93 tune while I wait for my MPT tune and oh my God does it wake this car up. Even on 3.15 gears it pulls like a whole new animal. I can't wait to see what MPT has cooked up. The stock tune in these cars are a crime. We should start a class action lawsuit against them. Ford really neutered the 3.7 to try to push the ecoboost and it's a damn shame. Thank God for tuners.

I did get an odd sound from the center of the engine bay when at about 5K rpm pulling hard in third and only in third. It sounded like a reciprocating vibration. I'll probably being going back to stock while I wait for MPT so it didn't bother me too much but I wonder if any of you guys/girls have experienced something similar? I popped the hood and had a look see and nothing looked odd. Not too worried tbh.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Since I saw that local SCT X4 for a good deal and picked it up, I'm really feeling that itch to just throw the tune on.

Has anyone seen reports of any issues with the MPT tunes? What kind of miles are you guys at on your cars that have been running it? I'm planning on keeping this car for at least another 5 years since I'm done with the Corolla and I bought the extended warranty to make sure I was covered.

If something does happen, how can I argue that it should still be a warranty fix?

Thanks!

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
No problems with mpt so far. I've put over 7k miles with 93prx as DD. I forget what mileage I put it on.

Warranty issues seem to depend on the dealer. Some people say it voids the warranty and some say that the dealer has to prove it.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
No problems with mpt so far. I've put over 7k miles with 93prx as DD. I forget what mileage I put it on.

Warranty issues seem to depend on the dealer. Some people say it voids the warranty and some say that the dealer has to prove it.
Actually FEDERAL LAW says the dealer has to prove it. It's called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. The dealer has the burden of proof to PROVE that whatever modifications you made are what caused the issue you are seeking warranty repair on.

You can always flash the car back to stock (and in fact that is what MPT Recommends) if you need to take it to the dealer.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Sure the manufacturer has to prove the modification caused it, but in the meantime you have to accept that you may be stuck with the bill for the parts/work if it is denied as a warranty claim.

And I know plenty of people try running 93 in our cars without a tune so I'm sure it isn't that big of a deal, but when you're flashing back to stock for a dealership visit is there any concern with what fuel you leave in the tank?

D24112

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 MT
I've been told that they can tell there has been modifications to the ECU so returning to stock doesn't make the fact that you had a tune disappear.

No concern leaving 93 in it.
Sponsored